PDA

View Full Version : Need help dressing for my figure!!

boogiemomz
10-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I am re-entering the workplace (VERY part time, but still...) and need a fresh look. I had bought some new clothes for my job in grad school and have some basic pieces, but they are all the same look... mainly boot cut dress pants with fitted sweaters/blouses or button up shirts. I feel most comfortable in this type of ensemble b/c of my shape--pear shape/hourglass, thin on top, LOOOOOONG torso w/ short legs that are on the thicker side of things. Not overweight, but a difficult shape to dress, I think (though the grass is always greener, I guess).

Anyway... these threads about fun boots and leggings and sweater dresses have me pining for a new look... but I've always assumed I can't wear things like this. Usually, anything that isn't fitted around my waist just makes me look heavy b/c my waist is so small compared to my bottom half. But I have some brown suede winter boots, as well as some knee high leather boots that are pretty cute. I've always just been sadly resigned to tucking them under jeans/pants b/c everything I have is boot cut, and I'm afraid leggings or pants-tucked-in will just emphasize my thick legs. The leggings and boots look is so cute, but my heart starts to flutter when I think about trying to sport this look myself. Ideas? Am I right that I am forever wed to the slim tops + more forgiving pants? I would just love to find a new way to slim down my bottom half and streamline my whole look. Please help!! :o

wallawala
10-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Pencil skirts are a great place to start- really universal for body types. These tend to look dressier to me though, and not going to work well with casual boots... not sure exactly what you have already.

Heels. If you go with boots, not the flat riding boot look. You need length in the leg to balance your proportions and match your torso.

Start with tights/leggings that match your boots to visually lengthen. Bright patterns or contrast will cut you in pieces.

Someone else mentioned in another thread that Talbots is all about pushing up sleeves (sweaters and even Jackets) to slim your look. If you are already slim on top, play with 3/4 length vs full length to see if that changes things up.

boogiemomz
10-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the ideas... The black knee-high boots I have are heels, though I admit I sure was hoping for a way to wear the lower-heel riding boots. I've become a creature of comfort in the last couple of years... my heels are going to miss the floor!! Sigh... a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do. :p

Now to go find some leggings or tights and a pencil skirt...