PDA

View Full Version : What gets played with the most in your house?

hillview
10-03-2010, 07:43 PM
List your child's age, gender and top things that get played with.

DSs are 3 and 5
They play
- magnatiles
- matchbox cars
- books
- duplo legos (even DS1 will still play with them if we are all building)
- kumon workbooks (mainly DS1 but DS2 will join in)
- jump off the couch (we have one couch where this is allowed) onto these beanbag things
http://www.yogibo.com/ecommerce/yogi-max.html
- plasma cars

That is about it. Mind you we have thousands of other toys ...
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
10-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Ds1 is 8 and he plays mostly with the Wii, DS and reads. He can occasionally be found using some nifty art thing like a crayon maker, Crayola glow pad or some other stuff. eta- Legos!

Ds2 is going on 3 and loves:
Megabloks
ride on car (nothing fancy)
balls
Little Tikes' golf set
Geotrax

They both really like those Matchbox and Hotwheels' playsets (the kind that fold up) and cars.

Beth

lovebebes
10-03-2010, 07:51 PM
DD,8 and DD,3.5

Plasma cars take first place

Then arts and crafts

Then come random little things-whatever they are into at the time such as their Tokidoki little thingies and whatever else they keep in their land of nod buckets.

And of course books

MolieMuts
10-03-2010, 07:57 PM
DS1 is 6:
Legos
DS (Lego Batman)
books
Bendaroos

DS2 is 2:
cars
balls
anything he can sit and ride on

willow33
10-03-2010, 08:33 PM
DS1 (7.5) - legos, nerf guns, wii, outside toys (bike, scooter, football, soccer), books

DS2 (5.5) - legos, magnatiles, nerf guns, outside stuff and matchbox cars

DD (17 months) - play food, baby/stroller, playsilks, fisher price little people farm, balls

Momof3Labs
10-03-2010, 09:06 PM
DS1 (8yo) - Nintendo DS, reading, Crazy Bones Go-gos, Legos, science kits (snap circuits and such)

DS2 (4.5yo) - wooden blocks, magnatiles, wedgits, matchbox cars, Nintendo DS, reading, Legos

DDs (14mo) - babies, stuffed animals, balls, blocks, FP push stroller, RF walking wagon, stacking cups, Melissa & Doug ABC book (w/ magnets). books, small kitchen set, ball drop/ramp, Laugh & Learn Home, Laugh & Learn piggy bank (HUGE hit with DS2 as a baby, too), playsilks, little people, P'kolino full size puzzle stacker

christiedavid3
10-03-2010, 09:38 PM
DS is 3: wooden tracks and Thomas engines, Hotwheels cars, Strider balance bike, sometimes Duplo, books, Matchbox MegaRig Pirate Ship.

katydid1971
10-03-2010, 11:11 PM
DS is 5.5
Indoors:
Legos!!!! More than any indoor toy
Wii (sports/balance board mostly)
PBS Kids online
Imaginext (mostly his fire station) but its maybe a couple times a week, not daily
Bike
Frisbee
Soccer

DD is 2.5
DD is very busy all day and pretty much plays with all these things during a single day.
Disney Princess Polly pocket type dolls
Snap n Style dolls
Corolle babies and doll stuff (cradle/high chair/stroller)
M&D grocery cart
Fisher Price Tea Set
Play food (favorite part of her kitchen)
Little People and House
Dress up clothes
Coloring (crayons or markers)
Fisher Price Doctor set
Play purse
Duplo only when Ds is playing with legos. She likes to sit next to him and build towers while he builds his lego sets.
Her brother's Imaginext Space Shuttle
She tells us she wasts to be a doctor, an astronaut, and a ballerina :)

happymom
10-04-2010, 12:02 AM
DD is 21 moths and plays very nicely independently for a long time. She plays with a LOT of different toys, but the bulk of her play lately is pretending with her dolls, so I would say mainly-

Cozy Coupe (we keep it indoors and its a big part of her pretend play)
Little Tykes shopping cart
Any dolls or stuffed animals
Pretend high chair
Play food
Pretend tools and hats (fireman, construction etc)

These toys get played with at least weekly, but don't keep her occupied as long-

Megablocks
Wooden Blocks
Laugh n Learn Home
Puzzles

She is totally ready for a play kitchen, but will have to wait for her second birthday for that!

crl
10-04-2010, 12:17 AM
DS is 7. His most played with items are unit blocks and various plastic people (Fisher Price Little people and others). He has used those daily for at least the last year. He builds all sorts of things: park, pool, airplane, classroom, etc. Then he acts out various plots in his creations using his "kids.". Second most used would be paper, pens, pencils, crayons and markers. Used to make lists, pretend worksheets, draw and so on.

DD is 6 months. I guess her most played with are a hand me down Baby Einsteins Octopus, the Ikea activity gym and her mirror. Her most desired items are the Kirkland wipes (loves that crinkly sound), iPhones and iPad, and cords. She's pretty stubborn about them too so it's a good thing I'm still faster than she is. Dreading the day she masters real crawling (and refusing to even think about walking.)

Catherine

bigpassport
10-04-2010, 12:53 AM
deleted

wimama
10-04-2010, 01:03 AM
The Couch Cushions (he builds all sorts of things with them)
Strider balance bike
Playmobil
A tail that fell off of an old Lion King pillow. (he stuffs it into the back of his pants and becomes some sort of animal)
Toy Story Toys
Indoor Trampoline
Legos
Hopper Ball
Stickers & Art Supplies
Favorite Character Figures
Play Food

Really he plays with most of his toys, which makes decluttering them hard. Just when I think it is safe to sneak a toy away he starts playing with it again.

groundhog74
10-04-2010, 10:05 AM
DS is almost 7 and DD is 3.5
Trios
Magnatiles
random stuffed animals

lowrioh
10-04-2010, 10:40 AM
DD is 26 months and plays with the following daily:
Cozy Coupe (she sits in it when she watches TV)
Corelle Doll
M&D puzzles
Dress up clothing
Play silks
Playmobile set
Soccer Ball
Crayons

maydaymommy
10-04-2010, 10:44 AM
DS1 - almost 3.5

DUPLO - fire engines, construction trucks from Stone Quarry set, zoo sets
Bruder Trucks (Particularly fire engine, telephone crane, logger, loader, flat bed dump truck)
His lovey and it's duplicate, which has become the Mommy
Woody Click construction set
Sofa and it's cushions - builds forts, tents, makes a huge mess
Vet set
Wooden fire station
small animal figures
stuffed animals
crayons/markers/stamps/stickers

DS2 - 12 months

BALLOONS - this baby is obsessed with balloons
Books
Balls
Anything metal he can find to put in his mouth (ick)
a few trains
Laugh & Learn Kitchen
YoKidOo (?) play fort

egoldber
10-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Older DD (9): books, board games, card games, computer games, workbooks, craft activities (weaving, etc.), American Girl stuff, pretend play with animals, dollhouse play with Barbies and Loving Family dolls, sidewalk chalk, blocks

Younger DD (almost 4): baby dolls, Schleich animals, Papo figures, Polly Pocket type princess dolls, coloring, Playdoh/Play Foam, play kitchen and food, blocks

Clarity
10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
DD 4yo: Crafts - specifically scissors and tape. She can cut and tape for HOURS. Other favorites include, her babydolls, the grocery cart and doll stroller, the Playskool Honeybee hop (all the kids LOVE this thing, they don't jump over it, they CHASE it). She also enjoys card games like Go Fish and War.

DD 2yo: Her dolls, molded animals, crayons, the play kitchen, books and more books,

Both girls love magna tiles, our wooden Selecta memory games tiles, echo microphones, the Remo drums and the kid's keyboard. The plasma car is at Great Gran's house but I agree with PPs, it is a very much loved toy.

ETA: Oh, I forgot. Probably the most eagerly sought after "toy" in our house is dh's and my iPhone/iTouch. :bag

hellokitty
10-04-2010, 12:12 PM
5 and 6 yr old boys, the stuff that gets most play are...

LEGO
Star Wars toys
Dress up stuff
Geotrax/wooden trains
Leapster in spurts
Books
Musical and book CDs
TRIO

wellyes
10-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Probably the most eagerly sought after "toy" in our house is dh's and my iPhone/iTouch. :bag

Oh my goodness yes. She calls it "monkey" because of Monkey Preschool. "I need monkey!"

MoJo
10-04-2010, 09:56 PM
DD#1, 27 mos: life size baby doll, + sister's clothes, sister's swing, sister's carseat, sister's bouncy seat, sister's diapers. For some reason, over the summer she lost most of her interest in most of her other toys. The next closest is her swing in the back yard. . . and then it's a toss up as to whether she will climb in the swing or put her baby doll there.

DD#2, 4 months: her own hands, mama's hair & mama's fingers. So far she has zero interest in anything else.

edurnemk
10-04-2010, 10:20 PM
DS is 2.8 yo:

Train set (Imaginarium train table, and LOTS of Thomas engines)
Cars
Books
Balls
Tricycle and Little Tikes Cozy Coupe.
Buzz Lightyear and Woody dolls.
Play Doh

And runners up:
Wooden blocks, duplos
Plan Toys wooden drum
Crayons and drawing books, Art easel with a chalkboard side

sansdieu
10-04-2010, 10:52 PM
DD is 3. Lego Duplo is by far her favorite activity, especially since someone on this board suggested a base plate (it's a must for any Lego, any set, IMHO). Some Duplo bits get a lot more play than others; these are in order of preference:

* flowers
* people
* animals
* fence/ windows/ houses
* cars
* the translucent Lego brick from the zoo set
* all the rest

She'll play with Citiblocs, too, but she prefers Legos (because they're colored and don't tumble as easily).

Other "toys" she loves:

* 24 and 48 - piece floor puzzles (totally forgot about this one, and she's obsessed with puzzles)
* balloons
* those bows you put on gifts
* stickers
* her Doctor kits
* her collection of purses and jewelry
* Fisher-price tea set
* playfood (but only if someone's playing along)

indigo99
10-04-2010, 11:24 PM
13mo. DS favorites in order:
Sesame Street (Rock with Elmo) boombox
Baby Tad
Books (esp Where is Baby's... by Katz)
balls
electronic keyboard
Tad

Favorites that he's growing out of:
RF walking wagon
ball popper
leapfrog activity table

gobadgers
10-04-2010, 11:26 PM
DD just turned 3:

baby dolls, stroller
kitchen and playfood
anything called an "art project" - crayons, markers, stickers, pompoms, pipe cleaners, tissue paper, glue sticks and scissors
a couple Disney princess dolls
bubbles and outdoor chalk
doctor kit
DS is 16 months:

stuffed animals
some animal cards from the $1 section at Target - he's gotten unbelievable milage from these
Little Tykes basketball hoop
books, books and more books
push toys (a la vacuum cleaners) and pull toys (Brio daschund and a clacking dinosaur)
small Caterpillar trucks
Sesame Street playhouse
he's just starting to get interested in puzzles

KrisM
10-04-2010, 11:31 PM
DS1, age 6.5:
Legos
Rokenbok
board games, especially Monopoly, Gobblet Gobblers, Rush Hour
Snap Circuits
Marble Runs

DD, age 4:
My Little Pony
Play kitchen
any doll - baby doll, Snap N Style, etc
FP dollhouse and horses

DS2, age 2:
trains
Mickey Mouse Choo Choo Express
Play kitchen
Matchbox cars
FP Rampway
DT Marble Castle Works

We also have a handful of the plug n play games for the TV that they all enjoy. They all play with Magnatiles as well.

julybaby715
10-05-2010, 06:47 AM
DD 14 months

Everything but her toys =(

Neatfreak
10-05-2010, 07:08 AM
DD1, six years
- Nintendo DS
- craft supplies
- My Little Pony stuff
- Fisher Price Little People

DD2, two years next week
- Fisher Price Little People
- Snap n Style Dolls
- my old Cabbage Patch dolls
- play kitchen and accessories

sunshine873
10-05-2010, 08:07 AM
DD is 20 mo. It's a long list, but she's a busy girl. Never seems to spend more than 60 seconds on one thing.

Her "puppies" (our 2 black labs)
The dog's kennel
Laugh & Learn puppy
Balls
Ball Popper toy
RF Walker Wagon (she'll push her toys around, or climb into it with her toys
Books
Ikea push toy
Laugh & learn mailbox
Duplo blocks
The backpack that goes on the back of her Kelty - she loves it! I think it's part of "dress-up" because my diaper bag is a backpack and she sees me wearing it every day. so cute.

Melanie
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Dd - 5
Dolls (Waldorf and Bittys) and assorted accessories
Kitchen and it's accessories
Ladybug Game
Making "puppet shows" with some of our nature table items and dolls

Ds - almost 9
Legos (this is most of the time!)
Board games/games (currently really likes Life and Monopoly but I was teaching him Yahtzee and that was fun. Also Shutters)
Paper, Crayons, Scissors, Tape
Reading Books

Both
Playstands
Haba Cash Register and other things to play "store"
Dress up things for imaginative play
Bikes, Scooters, Pedal Car and Plasma Car
The poor dog (LOL)

Mostly Dd wants to play whatever Ds is playing. If she was an oldest or onlie, though, I think her list above would be consuming more of her time. She's also not at the point to spend a lot of time on her own, so it will depend upon whatever someone is willing to play with her.

smilequeen
10-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I have almost 6 and 3 year old boys. They play with legos more than anything...duplos even, but regular legos and bionicles are huge. Second would be their knights and castle.

DS1 likes to play games now. Rush Hour is his favorite on his own and chess with one of us. He also loves to play computer games and Math Blaster is his favorite there. Then add the Super Mario Wii that is a total bonding experience with him and DH.

DS2 likes to build. He gets out the zoobs a lot. He also likes to play with anything superhero related.

brittone2
10-05-2010, 01:06 PM
We could probably pare down to *just* these items:
Art supplies
magnatiles
playmobil
Lego
montessori/real/practical life tools..tons of play through the years. Child sized brooms, rake, shovels, child sized RF wheelbarrow, etc. My kids have gotten *so* much play out of those items honestly, and they've played with them from ages 2-6.5 (current age).
scooters/bikes
toy vehicles (playmobil, matchbox, you name it. Particularly DS1)
Dolls (DD, from age 1 until present time at age 3.5)
books

DD really likes dressup and has for a while. She also went through an intense puzzle loving phase around age 2.

From age 2-3 DS1 spent 90% of his time w/ the train table and playkitchen. He is 6.5 and will still play trains with DD periodically (when he was younger he didn't build big layouts but now he enjoys constructing giant layouts). The trains will get more play in another year to 18 months when DS2 starts getting into them :)

DS1 enjoys his snap circuits

scriptkitten
10-05-2010, 01:31 PM
thomas wooden railway stuff
books
DD always has 1 or more stuffed dolls or elmos with her.

MizMojoLaveau
10-07-2010, 05:29 PM
4 YO: playmobil pirate set, watercolors, scissors & tape, bike, golf clubs, puzzles

16 month old: haba pram, ball popper, bubble mower, board books

hbridge
10-07-2010, 07:25 PM
DC, Age 6

Playmobil
Animal Figurines (like the ones that come in the toob)

That's it! They are played with non-stop in almost every capacity. At the moment, the dinosaurs are sorted by diet, the horses are being brushed, the plane is packed ready for takeoff and the baby is taking a nap in the take along playhouse.

mousemom
10-07-2010, 10:35 PM
DS, 22 months, plays with the following daily:

megablocks
Melissa & Doug ABC blocks
Viking Chubbies bucket of vehicles
outside: soccer ball, bucket for collecting leaves, rocks, etc.