PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Booster/Convertable Car Seat for grandparents

EQ_Bo_07
10-04-2010, 02:47 PM
My parents want to get a car seat to occasionally (and by that I mean maybe twice a month to drive up to 5 miles each time) drive their grandkids. There are a total of 3 but only one would be driven at the same time. The kids range from 19 months to 3.5 year old. So I having been thinking it would be good to get a convertible booster, but don't if any are good. They also don't want to spend a fortune on the seat.

The older version of Toddler Bargains suggested Safety 1st Summit but there are few review on that.

Any suggestions?

KrisM
10-04-2010, 09:48 PM
I'd get a Radian. It should last a long time for all of them. My 6.5 year old still fits in it with a bit of room to grow. He'll probably make it to age 7 in it. It's not the easiest to install, so if they're installing it over and over, maybe something else.

hellbennt
10-05-2010, 07:39 AM
here's a list of high back boosters (includes ones that turn into/convert into a booster):)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=366265

christiedavid3
10-05-2010, 08:53 AM
A booster would not be a good choice for these kids. You need either a convertible or a combination seat. Are the kids RFing or FFing? If they are all FFing, then I would go with a combination seat (harness seat that converts to a booster for later). What is their budget and vehicle? Will they be leaving the seat in the car or taking it out and reinstalling?

hellbennt
10-05-2010, 05:32 PM
:hug:for clarification: link given has list of convertable seats, too-
like nautilus and frontier that become boosters later on

Joolsplus2
10-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Evenflo Triumph (or Momentum or Symphony), maybe? You can slide the harness up and down to fit whichever kiddo is riding in it properly. They fit kids up to about age 5 in general, and then they could get a decent booster for the oldest one (most combo seats require lots of changeover to go from harness to booster, so it's not really feasible to have one seat for all three kids in a year or two when the oldest is booster-ready). Safety 1st Go is maybe also a good choice if they have LATCH, it installs super easy and the harness slides up and down (can't rear face, which I'm not sure if they are concerned about? Most kids in real life are forward facing at 19 months...)

KrisM
10-06-2010, 07:53 AM
:hug:for clarification: link given has list of convertable seats, too-
like nautilus and frontier that become boosters later on

Neither the Nautilus or Frontier are convertible seats. They're both combination seats, which mean they do not rear-face. The Frontier has a 2 year age requirement, so can't be used in her situation.

But, from that link, the Evenflo Symphony is a covertible that might work.