PDA

View Full Version : If you can't afford a new boot wardrobe! (or can't rock slim/skinny pants)...

LarsMal
10-04-2010, 05:14 PM
is it better to roll the pants up so you have a cuff at the top of the boots, or get a pair of boots that you can wear under straight leg or boot cut?

I tried some "modern slim" fit pants on at the Loft today. I think I could get away with the jeans, but the cords were too tight on my butt. I have two pair of tall black boots and I've been looking at the same boots that DrSally got at DSW (although now I'm thinking I might get the bianka boots since they are a little more durable for the rain/snow)

These: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/bare+traps+ellery+boot?prodId=207935&brand=300040

These: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/bare+traps+catchy+boot?prodId=201601&brand=300040

or these (in black) : http://www.dsw.com/shoe/bare+traps+bianka+boot?prodId=209278&brand=300040

I tried all of them on today with my straight leg jeans and there was a little too much bunching I think. I saw a couple women out with their Uggs on today and one of them had her jeans rolled up. Is that "acceptable"?! (Does it really matter, since- once again- it's just the preschool moms and the people at Target and the grocery store who will see me?!?!)

I really need to walk away from this forum for a while!!!!

ETA: I won't be rolling anything up with my black tall boots. They are dressier and will work under the pants I have. I'm talking more about the bulkier/winter boots.

DrSally
10-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I like those Bianca boots too! They look more rustic/outdoorsy, but still not bulky like sorels.

Seriously, today, I found a pair of skinny, cropped jeans (CK) at TJMax on clearance for $18. The top fit well (a lot of these types of jeans are too low and gappy at the waist for me. The legs were hideously tight, but I think they will look good with the boots (I'm reordering b/c I discovered they come in wide on line). I plan on having one or maybe 2 pair of jeans to wear with the boots, and maybe a few skirts that I could wear with other things, so they wouldn't be special "boot skirts", KWIM? So, that would be about $40 worth of special boot pants (if I stay with my $20 average). My fear is taking off my boots at someone's house and then having to walk around in the tight jeans :ROTFLMAO: Serioulsy, I can't belive others can wear them with flats and such.

IDK, hopefully someone will answer back on the roll up thing. I had no idea when I got into this that I would need to buy special pants! And now that I have one pair of skinny pants, I've been eyeing a gray pair of boots at Target (someone stop me now!!)
http://www.target.com/s?keywords=boots&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&ref=sr_bx_1_1

Twoboos
10-04-2010, 09:08 PM
I found skinny cropped jeans at Old Navy for around $8.... so you might keep looking, marked-down cheap ones are out there!!

DrSally
10-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I found skinny cropped jeans at Old Navy for around $8.... so you might keep looking, marked-down cheap ones are out there!!

I too am hoping the skinny jeans at ON get marked down. I haven't seen any cropped ones lately, as that would be the best for me (the shorts are still too long for me to reduce bunching. I will keep my eye out and report if I see anything.

LarsMal
10-04-2010, 09:47 PM
I like those Bianca boots too! They look more rustic/outdoorsy, but still not bulky like sorels.

Seriously, today, I found a pair of skinny, cropped jeans (CK) at TJMax on clearance for $18.

I like the outdoorsy look of the Bianca ones, too. I'm leaning towards those now. By the time I'd wear them (cold, snowy, yuckier weather) I probably won't care if I'm stuffing jeans into them! I can see myself shoving my black sweats into them while shoveling snow. I could probably get away with some bunching if I look like I'm wearing them for function and not fashion!

Good call on looking for cropped on sale. I'll have to keep an eye out. I'm not planning on buying the shoes until next month anyway. Right now I'm on the hunt for new khaki pants and some cords. I bought two pair of pants at the Loft today, but they're both going back tomorrow.

DrSally
10-04-2010, 09:50 PM
I can see myself shoving my black sweats into them while shoveling snow. I could probably get away with some bunching if I look like I'm wearing them for function and not fashion!

:ROTFLMAO:

You're looking for size 0, right? That's not my size, so I am never looking for it. I'm pretty sure Kohl's does not carry 0, which is too bad b/c they're a source for good, basic pants for cheap.

LarsMal
10-04-2010, 09:52 PM
:ROTFLMAO:

You're looking for size 0, right? That's not my size, so I am never looking for it. I'm pretty sure Kohl's does not carry 0, which is too bad b/c they're a source for good, basic pants for cheap.

Me, 0, NOOOO!!!! I'm usually a 6 or 8 in pants, depending on the cut.

ETA: And %&#*- I just checked out the Target boots online and I want to go see if I can find them in the store tomorrow- bad bad bad!!

DrSally
10-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Me, 0, NOOOO!!!! I'm usually a 6 or 8 in pants, depending on the cut.

ETA: And %&#*- I just checked out the Target boots online and I want to go see if I can find them in the store tomorrow- bad bad bad!!

:ROTFLMAO: Oh! That must have been someone else's thread about searching for cords today. Are you petite? In either case, Kohl's has some basic cords in brown, tan, gray, etc. with a midrise bootcut. Not too low, maybe higher than you'd like though, IDK. They're pretty comfortable to me, and come in petite. They have khaki's too, but I'm finding lately that I look "old ladyish" in a certain type of khaki, KWIM? ON also has some bootcut khakis with a flap pocket that looked pretty basic. I didn't try any on since there were no petites.

ETA: Kohl's cords are "somoma" brand.

LarsMal
10-05-2010, 12:53 PM
:ROTFLMAO: Oh! That must have been someone else's thread about searching for cords today. Are you petite? In either case, Kohl's has some basic cords in brown, tan, gray, etc. with a midrise bootcut. Not too low, maybe higher than you'd like though, IDK. They're pretty comfortable to me, and come in petite. They have khaki's too, but I'm finding lately that I look "old ladyish" in a certain type of khaki, KWIM? ON also has some bootcut khakis with a flap pocket that looked pretty basic. I didn't try any on since there were no petites.

ETA: Kohl's cords are "somoma" brand.

I ended up getting a pair of gray boot cut cords at ON today and I'm going to go back and get them in the khaki color. I thought I'd get a better deal with the 30% off sale online (but knew they didn't have the gray in my size online). Surprise to me- the base price on the website is higher than the price at the store, before shipping. I decided to get them anyway because I was getting some other stuff for DH and M. Well, I go to checkout and suddenly they don't have my size in the oatmeal color online anymore. Grrr...guess it's BACK to the store again!

At least I know they fit now so I can just pick them up without trying them on.