PDA

View Full Version : Rokenbok?

smilequeen
10-05-2010, 12:17 PM
DS1 was really digging these at a local toy store this weekend. Does anyone have them? Do your kids like to play with them? They are not inexpensive so I am hesitant to buy unless he's really going to play with them. Playmobil is his other new obsession, so I'm trying to decide which to get (he has a birthday and Christmas close together). He's almost 6.

brittone2
10-05-2010, 01:00 PM
If you are thinking of buying, I'd try it out by buying used if you can.

DS was nuts over the displays. He eventually saved up some money and I found him a used set (conveyor system one...don't recall the real name) on ebay for a much more reasonable price.

he enjoyed it, but was kinda over it after a few weeks. It is one of those toys we rotate in and out of play. He likes it, but I am not sure it is open-ended enough to maintain a *ton* of interest, but that could also just be my kid.

We're likely moving soon and I might leave it set up in a finished basement if I have one and see how much he plays with it.

We've had our set for around 2 years now I think.

Obviously every kid is different but DS plays a *lot* more w/ PM than the Rokenbok, but Rokenbok isn't always out at our house either. I think PM's open ended nature is appealing and he and DD play it together more than they would something like Rokenbok.

This is just my personal experience. I see used sets on craigslist sometimes. I know for us I'm kinda iffy on how much play he's really gotten out of it but maybe he'll get more into it when I set it up again. it has been a while. If we had paid full price I'd be bummed.

zoestargrove
10-07-2010, 02:24 PM
we received it as a gift and I have to agree completely with Beth.

sanud002
10-11-2010, 01:45 PM
My family has had Rokenbok toys for probably three years now and they still get regular use. At least a couple times a week by boys, 6 and 8, are playing with the set. The two things I love most about the toys is that they are educational and that I love to play with them as well which makes it fun to spend more time with my kids! I'll post a link to a great video testimonial about their toys I'll think you'll like. http://www.rokenbok.com/video-center/what-is-rokenbok/what-rokenbok

KrisM
10-12-2010, 08:36 PM
DS wanted a set and he finally got it this summer. It gets a fair amount of play and he enjoys it. I think he'd like it more with a few more pieces and cars so that there are more things to do once it's set up. Unfortunately, that will take up a lot of space, as it is not a small thing.

It takes quite a while to set up and take apart. So, it's left up for weeks at a time and played with and then put away for a while. We have it in the kitchen and it takes up a good amount of the floor.

Many stores have it marked down because they're moving to a wireless system. My local toy store has the old sets at 50% off right now.