PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Clothes

niccig
10-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Our next Clean Sweep challenge is Clothes.

I know there are piles of clothes somewhere in your house. Maybe it is laundry that needs to be folded, outgrown clothes that need to be sorted and stored, or a closet that is about to explode.

This is a more involved challenge, so just tackle as much as you think you can do. Let's make the due date a little longer as well - say Friday Oct 15.

Good luck everyone...

edurnemk
10-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm in! I started sorting through clothes to donate and never finished, so now I have a big basket of clothes to go through sitting in my bedroom, I feel guilty every morning when I look at it. There's a lot that I haven't worn in ages, same with shoes. DS closet is pretty organized, it's just mine that need a little work.

brgnmom
10-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I definitely need to make a move on this project...not too hard to find the motivation since I'm in the nesting phase. DS has his own wardrobe, and we don't have space for another in our small 2br-apartment. I had to purchase 3-tier shelves in the meantime to organize DD-on-the-way's clothes. She has way too many clothes for the first 6 months than I remember DS having. We'll probably upgrade to another wardrobe set for DD after we move to a larger place next year, but I definitely need to find more ways to store all the girly clothes in a smaller, organized space. In the meantime, I'm using the shelves & shared closet area for the girly baby clothing.

I also have to sort through DS's clothing that he has recently outgrown. I'll probably store them in the plastic bins I have from Target.

KrisM
10-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Just 2.5 years ago, I had a horrendous clothes problem! I had kept all of DS1's and DD's clothes for kid #3 and since we didn't know boy/girl, it was all saved. Once DS2 was born, and we were done with kids, I started selling it off. I am finally caught up and am just selling last year's fall/winter stuff now. I don't have extra sizes.

I also buy most of their clothes at mom2mom sales, which are in spring and fall. This year, since I was mostly organized, I actually got out their stuff before shopping. I knew how many of what size to buy. Then, 2 weekends ago, I changed them over from summer to fall and it was pretty easy! I now keep it to 1 bin for DS1 and DD and a few for DS2. I sell most of DS1's stuff, but keep the harder to find used things, like jeans, pajamas, character shirts.

I do need to sort through all of the stuff waiting to be sold. I'm selling on Oct 16, so the deadline for this is perfect. I have 6 bins to go through and sort by size and make sure there aren't any stains. I am hoping to be done by the end of this weekend.

SnuggleBuggles
10-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Inadvertently I participated! I went through all the clothes in ds2's room. I have been tossing outgrown clothes into a basket (heaping pile) in the corner of his room. He will be 3 in 2 months and there were clothes in that pile from when he was 3mo. Pitiful. But they are now all sorted, neatly folded and waiting to be given to an expectant friend.

My room is a joke at the moment- mountains of clean laundry! I will get to it this weekend if not sooner. I can't find anything.

Beth

MoJo
10-09-2010, 07:07 AM
I finally brought up DH's laundry from the basement laundry room yesterday. That counts, right?!

I tried to sort Jelly Bean's outgrown clothes, but the nap didn't last long enough.

ThreeofUs
10-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi. My name is Ivy and I have an addiction.

To Clothes.

And it's a problem now bc I have clothes everywhere. In sizes (0-4) I'll never see again. And they are hand-knitted dresses, pendleton suits, etc., that I still love and can't replace.

ACK. But they are cluttering my house and my mind.

I need an intervention.

hellokitty
10-09-2010, 09:43 AM
I am pretty good about weeding out clothes for DH and I ask I change our closets for each season and for the kids, as soon as DS3 outgrows something, it goes into a pile giveaway pile.

edurnemk
10-09-2010, 10:56 AM
I am pretty good about weeding out clothes for DH and I ask I change our closets for each season and for the kids, as soon as DS3 outgrows something, it goes into a pile giveaway pile.

:yeahthat: That's me, too. Except DS's stuff goes to the plastic containers in our storage because we're not done having kids yet.

However I have a confession to make, I have not made ANY progress on this challenge, the basket of clothes to sort for donation is still sitting in my bedroom. DS has been sick so he's not been to school in 10 days, now I'm sick, too, and I have a TON of work and working with DS here is impossible (I WAH), DH is out of town until next Friday, my mom is out of town (she usually helps me watch DS when I have to work). So the clothes thing has dropped to the bottom of my priority list.

Deadline is the 15th right? :tongue5: I have an important work deadline on tuesday, so after that I will follow through with the clothes challenge, I promise!

lovebebes
10-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks to my nesting overdrive I already finished this in my closet two days ago!:cheerleader1:

I threw out a bunch of old tees/tanks/pj's that were just no good anymore, and got rid of the home clothes I wouldnt be able to nurse in since they will be useless to me for the next 2-3 years.

I was able to create new space in the closet by switching some stuff around, and it now feels more spacious. I then added an ikea billy bookcase which I stocked with diapers,bra pads and maternity pads.

I was very happy with my work:thumbsup:

Then I designed something in my head and made it happen. I built a tiny rod for the tiny baby clothes that were too cute to put away in the dresser. I built the rod so it runs above the dresser along the wall and hung all the tiny adorable clothes on it. It has some silky vintage dresses hanging on it and is now one of the prettiest corners in the room:love-retry:

Now I have the girls closet left, which I recently rearranged as well to maximize its potential. I need to go through and put away warm clothes and pull out cold weather stuff..
Ill be doing that as soon as the weather decides what it wants to do-its close to 90's here again!

randomkid
10-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Thank you for doing this now! I desperately need to go through DD's clothes and plan to start tomorrow. I'm also off work Monday and plan to continue this project then. However, it does seem that whenever I plan a project, something happens to prevent me from doing it. So, please send BBB mojo that I will actually be able to make a huge dent in the piles of outgrown clothes in her closet and drawers!

KrisM
10-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Great job to those who are done! Isn't it nice? The rod with baby clothes sounds wonderful!

For those not done, including me, we can do it. My hardest part is just starting sometimes. I am hoping that tomorrow evening, DH will let me have an hour or so to sort through my bins and get them ready for next week.

WatchingThemGrow
10-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Just checking in....we're (well DH) has been washing EVERYthing in our drawers and closets since we had fleas from the borrowed cat and got fogged with nasty chemicals. 5 monstrous totes of stuff to fold and put back into drawers awaits me... deep breaths. I shall make it happen by the 15th!

elliput
10-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I got the jump on this one last month. Took quite a bit of DH's clothes to Goodwill (all of which were way too big for him now), and some of my too big stuff. I still need to go through DS's closet to sort out the "to sell", "to donate" and "to HMD" piles which have all merged into one big heap. :dizzy:

dcmom2b3
10-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi. My name is Ivy and I have an addiction.

To Clothes.

And it's a problem now bc I have clothes everywhere. In sizes (0-4) I'll never see again. And they are hand-knitted dresses, pendleton suits, etc., that I still love and can't replace.

ACK. But they are cluttering my house and my mind.

I need an intervention.

Me too! Me too!

I was too embarrased to post in the "if there were a fire in your house, what one thing would you grab" thread b/c I just couldn't bring myself to admit that I'd have a hard time choosing between my (long-since outgrown) Herve Leger evening gown and my kid's lovey. :bag

I'm saving the gown so that she can wear it someday . . . or so I tell myself.

randomkid
10-10-2010, 08:24 PM
So proud of myself! I went through 3 of DD's 7 drawers today and plan to do the other 4 and at least start her closet tomorrow. Don't know if I will get finished by the deadline, but definitely made a dent, considering we only put 4 pairs of pants back and a handful of long sleeve shirts. Fortunately, her sweaters and winter PJs all still fit, amazingly enough. Went shopping today to buy her some jeans and tights and now actually have somewhere to put them!

Of course, as I expected, something has come up that will prevent me from finishing. We have something in our attic that is peeing over DD's room and it reeks! DD will be sleeping in the guest room and I wil be sleeping with her because she is too scared to be in there by herself. Calling the professionals out tomorrow to take care of whatever is nesting up there and clean up the attic - ick!

KrisM
10-10-2010, 08:43 PM
So proud of myself! I went through 3 of DD's 7 drawers today and plan to do the other 4 and at least start her closet tomorrow. Don't know if I will get finished by the deadline, but definitely made a dent, considering we only put 4 pairs of pants back and a handful of long sleeve shirts. Fortunately, her sweaters and winter PJs all still fit, amazingly enough. Went shopping today to buy her some jeans and tights and now actually have somewhere to put them!

Of course, as I expected, something has come up that will prevent me from finishing. We have something in our attic that is peeing over DD's room and it reeks! DD will be sleeping in the guest room and I wil be sleeping with her because she is too scared to be in there by herself. Calling the professionals out tomorrow to take care of whatever is nesting up there and clean up the attic - ick!

WTG!

But, now can you work on her room after she falls asleep for a bit?

LMPC
10-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Oh no... I forgot to check in on the new challenge! Well, I still have 5 days, right?! I plan to get rid of the 3 bags of clothes in my closet that I have been meaning to give away for about 4 months [gasp!], finish transitioning DD to fall clothes, and organizing my shoes.

That'll get me started! Also....WTG to all of you that have already finished your part of the challenge!

niccig
10-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Well done everyone. you have inspired me to get cracking. I've been sick the last few days and busy with work, so I haven't even started this challenge yet.

My task will be listing DS's cloth diapers on BBB swap and on diaper swappers. DS has only started K :bag so these CDs are well overdue to be cleared out of the house. I'm just wanting them gone, so I think I'm listing them for cost of shipping, to get any $$ back I needed to list them when we were done with them. I think I'm going to give myself a 2 week deadline, and what hasn't sold by then, I'll find a way to give them away/recycle. I just hate the thought of them going to waste...

brittone2
10-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Jumping in in prep for our next move in a few months. Took care of clothes this week....got rid of my transition pieces now that I'm back in my old prepreggo clothes. Pared down some things in my closet, purged a bunch of DD's. Got a wardrobe box up for each kid and have DD's totally filled w/ summer clothes that she doesn't need, and the bottom of the box has some other stuff tossed in it (shoes that she needs to grow into a bit, etc.).

Sold off DD's HA playdresses in 80/90 this past week. Have a bag of her outgrown stuff waiting for a preggo friend who is expecting a girl (and wants our handmedowns). Have a bag of DS2's outgrown stuff to donate or yardsale.

I'll be trying to jump in and complete more of the challenges.

MoJo
10-11-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm working on the Great Sock Matching Game. It seems like something always takes me away before I get them all matched, but I want to have it done by the end of the week.

boogiemomz
10-11-2010, 09:39 AM
I have probably 10 pairs of jeans ranging from size 4 to 12 that I'm not currently wearing... most were cheap emergency buys when I found myself some size that my wardrobe didn't suit (early pregnancy, post partum, etc). They are in a garbage bag on the floor in my room. This needs to be a priority this week... I also have a pair of Citizens that this post-baby rump will never see the inside of again, so I'm thinking of selling them on Craigslist. Is that crazy? It breaks my heart a little to let them go, so it might be a bit more palatable if I got some money for it.

niccig
10-15-2010, 12:59 PM
How has everyone done with this challenge??

I've been sick, and got as far as putting the 2 bins of cloth diapers in the living room - to join the boxes of paperwork I'm still working on since the Paperwork Challenge. I refuse to put them back in my closet, so they're sitting out and getting done as I can get to them. Next week, I'll try to clear them out.

WatchingThemGrow
10-15-2010, 02:39 PM

:ROTFLMAO: I have a 2ft high pile of laundry to be folded covering our king size bed. The 3 baskets are upside down on top of the pile. Do I win a prize?

If not, then I'll confess there are 2-3 black garbage bags of clothes still to be washed and returned to the closet. This is out of control, truly.

Thanks for the encouragement to get it done, though :) Sorry you're sick!

Ooh- just thought of something..It would be fun to get the flip-fold (http://www.flipfold.com/) out and use it a little bit.. wonder where it is..

KrisM
10-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm doing well. I have all the outgrown stuff sorted by size and it's loaded in the van for the sale tomorrow. My van is packed full with clothes and toys and gear. I can not wait for it to be gone!

I'm getting all the laundry done today so that I could find DS1's soccer uniform for the game tomorrow :). I got the folded stuff off the floor and into dresser's yesterday.

Now, the rest of my house...

infomama
10-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm joining in. Was originally planning on buying a closet system from the Container Store and getting rid of dd's dressers but I have a new plan thanks to Ana White. I am going to completely revamp their closets by building these http://ana-white.com/2010/10/simple-closet-organizer.html (http://ana-white.com/2010/10/simple-closet-organizer.html)
and then hanging 2 rods (1 high/1 low). The shelves will be perfect for shoes/playclothes and bins for unders/socks and PJ's. The new shelving will be to the far left corner of the walk in closet and the rods will connect from the wall to the right side of the shelving unit.

Building starts Tuesday!

randomkid
10-15-2010, 04:41 PM

I WAS doing great. I have to say that I went through NINE drawers in DD's room and took out all her outgrown clothes. My goal was 7 of the 9, but I am proud to say that I did them all. I even realized that we needed to buy jeans for her field trip today because none of her long pants from last year came even close to fitting her anymore.

I am disappointed that I did not get to her closet, but we had a distraction or two. I had nothing planned for Monday morning so I could finish the closet, but DH ended up in the Emergency Dept and I spent 4.5 hours there with him instead. Then, DD had a haircut appt and DH and I had a conference with DD's teacher for parent-teacher conf day. DH is fine, btw. So, I thought I could do a little each night, but we've had this horrendous odor in DD's room. Have been dealing with that instead. If you are truly curious, here is the back story on that one.http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2886973#post2886973

Maybe Sunday I will get to the closet, but doubt it. We will likely be moving all of DD's stuff out of her room to get ready for new carpet. Wish me luck as that closet is still in my plan. I have a consignment sale next month!

KrisM
10-16-2010, 04:55 PM
So glad I got through my clothes lasst week. It made setting up for the mom2mom today a breeze. Set up was last night and it was great that I had sorted and weeded out stained things already. The sale was this morning and I went from 15 bins down to 5! I'll put those into lots and try CL for the rest. Including the toys, etc, I made $480!

edurnemk
10-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Well, with DS sick for the last couple of weeks, I didn't get as much done as I'd like. But I did sort through all my clothes and separated a lot for donation.

I also separated DS's outgrown clothes, and I just have to put it in a plastic bin and in our storage area, thankfully it's not that many clothes.

niccig
10-20-2010, 03:35 AM
Everyone got so much done. I'm going to try and get my challenge done now that I'm a little better.