View Full Version : Reviews of sunscreens with good EWG ratings

crl
10-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Could we have some reviews of sunscreens with good EWG ratings? Here's a link:

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/

Catherine

crl
10-06-2010, 12:16 AM
We've used Badger, both scented and unscented; CA baby, and UV Naturals lotions. I got sunburned with the UV Naturals when I did not with Badger in almost identical circumstances, might have been user error, but I'm reluctant to rely on it now. I think Badger rubs in a tiny bit easier. My preference is CA Baby or Badger unscented.

We've used CA Baby and Purple Prairie stick. CA baby is effective and has no odor. But it is very white and very hard to rub in. I really prefer the Purple Prairie. It rubs in so much easier!

Catherine

DrSally
10-06-2010, 12:24 AM
The kids use the Blue Lizard baby based on recommendations here, and we've been happy with it. It's not hard to spread, at all, and does have a whitish cast, but it's not too bad, IMO. I use Badger lip balm, and it's very white. I have darker skin, so it looks a little odd, but I can't do chemical sunscreens on my lips (swell up). I've heard very good things about the vanicream sunscreen.

brittone2
10-06-2010, 08:14 AM
CA Baby is thicker and whiter, whereas UV Naturals is a more greasy feel but less white (still some IIRC, it has been a while...)

I tend to go with CA Baby. We also tried Purple Prairie this summer and I was reasonably happy with it. Had the stick and lotion/sunscreen.

o_mom
10-06-2010, 08:18 AM
We used the Alba Botanica this summer with good results. It goes on easily and was reasonably priced (regular price around $9, I found a sale for $4.50). They make a 'kids' mineral one and an unscented mineral one that appear to be pretty much the same.

momtoonegirl
10-06-2010, 02:23 PM
We use Vanicream SPF 30. The whole family uses it except DS. I like it better than California Baby because it is less white and less thick, therefore it rubs in better. Before Vanicream we were using California Baby both in the tube (lotion) and stick, I believe also SPF 30.

lil_acorn
10-08-2010, 10:49 AM
we use blue lizard

lizzywednesday
10-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I think the Neutrogena Baby stick was a 3 on EWG/Skin Deep and DD tolerates it pretty well. She does look a little white after the application, especially if we swipe it across her eyebrows, but I'll deal with it!

We also tried the Lavanila Baby Block from Sephora ... and it's absolutely wonderful. DD tolerates it very well and it goes on quite nicely. It's not as thick as other barrier blocks or as greasy as WaterBabies can be, but totally worth the time spent on her arms & legs! (It's not rated; based on ingredients alone, I think it probably would get a 3 as well.)

Sweetum
10-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Badger unscented - rates well on EWG. DS' skin gets tanned very easily even with little sun and in the shade. Badger worked well to help him stay out longer.

Minnifer
10-08-2010, 05:26 PM
We tried Purple Prairie this summer and didn't love it, and ThinkSport and *hated* it (it runs and DD got thick glops of it in her elbow creases and other spots). So we went back to what we used last summer and were happy with, CA Baby lotion and the Neutrogena baby stick (even though that one has nano particles, it was the easiest stick to apply and the best tolerated by DD).

hillview
10-08-2010, 06:42 PM
CA baby -- the kids like it. I tried the Badger (less $) but DS1 refused it due to scent (I don't blame him). I've tried Blue Lizard before and don't remember why we didn't stick with it but we went back to CA Baby.
/hillary

mmsmom
10-08-2010, 07:20 PM
After this list came this summer out I tried the Johnson & Johnson. I really liked it... Went on easier than CA Baby or Blue Lizard and not as greasy. I think it was around $10.00.

Melbel
10-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Over the past few years, we had been using Blue Lizard and liked it, but according to the ratings at the beginning of the summer, it was bumped to a higher number (a 4 or 5 IIRC). Tonight when I checked, the BL Sensitive and Baby were both back down to a 2. Hmmmm. We would not have switched if it had still been a 2. It is hard to keep up with the recommendations when they change so frequently! Anyhow, there are parabens in the Blue Lizard, so there are potentially better choices.

We have primarily been using the Vanicream Sport 35 SPF (rated a 2; available on drugstore.com or behind the pharmacy counter at Target). It is reasonably priced and worked great for us in the FL and Bahamian sun. http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/finding-the-best-sunscreens/229330/Vanicream-Sunscreen-Sport-SPF/

Coppertone Water Babies Pure and Simple Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50 (rated a 3) also worked well for us and spread on easily. This is not my first choice, but it is not a bad option, is inexpensive and is more readily available than many of the best rated sunscreens. http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/finding-the-best-sunscreens/262429/Coppertone-Water-Babies-Pure-and-Simple-Sunscreen-Lotion-SPF/

We used Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby Sunblock Stick, SPF 60+ (rated a 3) for quick application/touch ups for faces. It spreads very smoothly. I keep a stick in my purse and use it often. http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/finding-the-best-sunscreens/221872/Neutrogena-Pure-and-Free-Baby-Sunblock-Stick-SPF/

We have tried California Baby, but did not love it because it is very thick and difficult to rub in, not to mention the exorbitant price.

Dcclerk
10-09-2010, 12:46 AM
We have not liked the good-for-you-sunscreens, try as I might. I still load the kids up with them most of the time, but it is honestly to the chagrin of both them and I.

Our CA Baby stick is expensive and turns the kids so white that they look comical.

We have the Nature's Gate mineral block, kid block, and giggleberry and the stuff never rubs in even though the lotion itself is relatively thin. They look like they have a whole new layer of white skin covering them, and even so, we have gotten one or two semi-sunburns with the stuff. At this point, my kids don't mind the gawking and staring that they get with this sunblock on, but it is only a matter of time.

We have the Earth's Best/ Jason Naturals sunblock, and it rubs in a bit better than the Nature's Gate nonsense.

The Coppertone Pure and Natural, or whatever it is called, is fine and gives the equivalent white-ish cast that the Earth's Best one gives.

In all truth, sometimes I get lazy and just use a not-good-for-you-spray, and we all are happier. I wish I could find a really good-for-you spray.

hellokitty
10-09-2010, 10:28 AM
UV Naturals- HORRIBLE! I tried this about 3-4 yrs ago. It is like trying to smear sludge on yourself and then basically it would take DAYS of showers to get it off and I would still feel like I had an oil slick on myself. We absolutely hated this. I bought two tubes of it and it cost a LOT and threw them both away. One of the worst purchases I have ever made and I was upset that ppl gave it such good reviews, when it just did not work out for us at all.

Badger- Very good! It worked well, and the scent was mild. DH and I describe it as smelling like granola.

Alba- I have used this with good results before, to me, it seems similar in consistency with badger. I got several tubes of it at clearance at meijer a few months ago, so don't need to buy anymore sunscreen for a while, they don't expire until late next yr. It is priced very reasonably too compared to some of the other high ranked brands.

Blue Lizard- I love this stuff, BUT it isn't rated as highly as some of the other stuff. It is difficult for me to find locally, only CVS carries it and they only have a couple tubes at most, so if I don't snag it at the beginning of the season, forget it. Out of the four I reviewed in this post, this is the least greasy sunscreen. I like the baby lizard better than the regular lizard.

bubbaray
10-09-2010, 10:33 AM
We've tried a lot of them (Blue Lizard and Jason come to mind) and none of them keep my girls burn-free. DD#1 in particular burns like crazy with the "natural" sunscreens, no matter how often I reapply.

essnce629
10-10-2010, 05:20 AM
UV Natural: Love it! Some people say it's greasy, but it's great for my eczema kids (very moisturizing with the natural oils). You only need a little bit since too much is what causes the greasy look. No white looking skin either.

Purple Prairie: Best deal money wise. Rubs in well. I like the lotion and the stick, but the pump top doesn't work well and I prefer the regular top. This is what we're using now.

Badger: Hated the scent, but I see they now have an unscented kind. Very small container made it not the best choice money wise.

kwc
10-11-2010, 01:27 AM
DD swims a ton/ tans like no one else and has eczema but is really picky about sunscreen. She hates things that are difficult to spread and hates the white cast that most mineral sunscreens leave.

We use:
Kinesys Kids (or adult fragrance-free) SPF 30 pump spray.
It's a 3 on EWG, the best non-mineral spray I've seen. We buy 4-5 bottles at a time. I bet it would work even better if I put it on more than 2 minutes before she jumps in the pool. DS doesn't swim as much and I use this on him and he is PALE... so it must work. Seriously, we all love this. I really just need to have a spray sunscreen in my arsenal.

Also, Purple Prairie stick for faces/ necks... it's the best mineral stick I have found, blends in better that CA Baby or even Neutrogena Baby (which we also use).

All-Terrain TerraSport (or AquaSport) SPF 30 (2 on EWG)... DH uses this for his face when running... it doesn't feel greasy, doesn't sweat off, and doesn't drip into his eyes. It spreads pretty well... better than Purple Prairie lotion (which I like but I am the only one in the family who does).

CA Baby, Alba mineral, and Jason mineral, Avalon Organics Baby all have not gone over well here for the amount of rubbing required.