PDA

View Full Version : Carseats for Grandma: 5pt harness over 50lbs

mommyapb
10-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Hello-

I want to get carseats for my parent's car (06 Lexus ES).
DD is 40 inches & 40lbs roughly
DS is 33 inches & 25lbs roughly

I want to have both in a 5 pt harness & would like to spend around $100-150 per seat.

Any suggestions? I thought maybe the Graco My Ride 65.

Thanks so much for the responses!!

Amelia
DD 3/06
DS 3/09

o_mom
10-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Is there a reason you need over 50 lbs? Is your DS still RF?

mommyapb
10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I would like it to be over 50lbs so we can use it for several more years. DS is FF now. Both kids are in Boulevards in my & DH's car.

Thanks!

o_mom
10-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Well, the MyRide would probably not be a bad choice. It will do what you want and should last a year or two for the older one. It is very reclined forward-facing, which might not bother your little one, but the older one may find it too reclined. Have you tried her in it at all?

If you can't find those in budget or it doesn't work for you, the Maestro wouldn't be a bad choice for DD, even with the 50 lb limit. If DD is just 40 lbs at 4.5, she would most likely make it another two years at which point a booster would be fine. It might depend exactly how rough that 40 lbs is. If she is like 39-40, that's a whole different story than if she is more closer to 42-45.

The other thing to think about is that you really don't need a HWH for DS. At his size, your DD will be long out of a harnessed seat before he reaches 40 lbs, so you can just pass her seat down. That opens up more options in the Scenera/Avenue/Triumph Advance price-range.

Joolsplus2
10-06-2010, 05:58 PM
The Evenflo Maestro top harness slots are about 2 inches taller than the My Ride, and it becomes a good (though not too tall) booster. I don't think the My Ride would really fit very long...my dd2 is as old as your eldest, and she's 44" and 40" lbs and I wouldn't really expect it to last another year, height-wise...but weight-wise, 50 pounds is a good 3 years away (about the time the Maestro harness will be too short and it becomes a good booster).

yankinweimar
10-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I :love5: my Evenflo Maestro (well, really Granny's)- and my Mum says it's even easier to manage than the Nautilus. I foresee that it will last us a long time. I highly recommend it!

mommyapb
10-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I stumbled across the Graco Nautilus...any thoughts about going this route?

Amelia

yankinweimar
10-06-2010, 09:33 PM
I like my two Nautis, but they're heavier than the Maestro (by a lot) and the harness is stickier. Not to mention the Nautilus is more expensive. If it's infrequent use, I'd definitely go for the Maestro.