PDA

View Full Version : Non-toxic shower curtain

HonoluluMom
10-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Can someone tell me what type of shower curtain is non-toxic? I know not to get PVC, but is polyester okay?

I want to get something affordable and something that Wal-Mart would carry.

TIA!

robinsmommy
10-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I go for PEVA, myself - not truly green, but I've tried all the stuff on the "green" spectrum, and I think it will be the best over time.

Hemp - never dries, and yes, it will grow mold regardless of what they say. Also streches when wet, which is far from ideal. I can only imagine that the "green" cotton ones would be worse.

Fabric (usually treated poly) - works ok, lets some moisture/vapor out thru the curtain, needs to be washed frequently to keep it clean.
(most are treated with some water-resistant stuff that is probably not wonderfully healthy, either...) May be worth a try, depending on your tastes.

PEVA - doesn't have PVC at least, it is plastic, though. Readily available at most big box stores now - I plan on cutting off the factory-made "seam" at the bottom - it tends to catch water, and I think it will help keep it cleaner, and it won't unravel the way fabric would. I also expect this to be truly waterproof and keep the steam in the shower. (I still need to hang mine - I have the fabric and am not entirely thrilled with it).

lizzywednesday
10-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I have a PEVA one from IKEA in our "guest" bathroom and it's held up quite nicely over the past 3 years, even with fairly heavy use in the last year because our master bathroom nauseated me while I was pregnant.

I recently purchased a heavier weight one from Target to put underneath DD's high chair once we set it up.

I paid about $2 for the IKEA one and $6 for the Target one. I'm sure WalMart's pricing will be comparable to the Target price.