PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback on stroller plan for WDW, please!

cheri
10-07-2010, 09:37 AM
We're going to WDW in two weeks. DDs are 4 and 2. I'm planning to take our BJCM as our main stroller, and buy a cheap $10-15 stroller at Target once we get there.

DD1 insists that she won't want to ride in the stroller, but history has proven that this isn't really how she works. She'll probably want to ride in the stroller some, but not as much as DD2.

I figured we could use the cheapo stroller when needed, and maybe stick it in the basket or bungee it to the frame of the BJCM when we weren't using it.

I also considered buying a BJCMicro from Albee Baby or renting another BJCM, but that seems like a lot of money for a (probably) infrequently used stroller.

How does this sound? Any feedback from Disney experts? Thanks so much!

DebbieJ
10-07-2010, 10:03 AM
You will DEFINITELY need a stroller for your 4 yo. On the advice of another BBBer, we took our Volo when we went in June. DS2 rode in the P3, and DS1 (6 yo) rode in the Volo from the 2nd day on. Our days were jam packed and we were moving quickly and he just couldn't keep up.

If you can bring a 2nd stroller, do it. Are you flying or driving?

partyof52011
10-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd make sure to take her to Target and try her out in one of the little strollers before the trip. Those cheap little things are small and flimzy and unless she is really tiny may not work for her. A super cheap volo of ebay or craigslist would work and could be used for the 2 yo later on.

IME a 4 year old will get tired and need a ride. WDW is a whole different ballgame with tons of walking and standing and late nights. Personally, I'd probably rent a BJCM double from orlandostrollerrentals. You wouldn't have to travel with your stroller and would have a good seat for each child. And really, with crowds, it is sometimes easier to have both kids in a stroller so they are contained and you can navigate quickly.

Momof3Labs
10-07-2010, 10:14 AM
At 4yo, you'll need a stroller a LOT for her. Might as well use something comfy that is easy for you to push, instead of a $10 cheapie. One of the guidebooks says that WDW is easily 8 miles of walking per day - do that day in and day out, and you can see why a 4yo will want to ride most of the time.

TwinFoxes
10-07-2010, 11:10 AM
At 4yo, you'll need a stroller a LOT for her. Might as well use something comfy that is easy for you to push, instead of a $10 cheapie.

ITA. We just got back, and there were kids a lot older than four conked out in strollers. I think you will seriously regret getting a flimsy, uncomfortable, hard to push stroller with little or no sun protection.

lhafer
10-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I am going with a 4 year old and 7 month old in a couple of months. We are taking a BJCC (or maybe the BJCM - haven't decided yet) for the baby, but I also bought a Maclaren Volo specifically for this trip for my 4 year old.

I think it would be a perfect stroller addition in your case. Bring the BJCM for the 2 year old, and get a Volo for the 4 year old. You can get a brand new one here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Maclaren-Volo-Silver-Green-Stripe-2009-Stroller-New-/250706630806?pt=Strollers&hash=item3a5f479896 and it's rumored that this is a warehouse for Maclaren, so you will get the full Maclaren warranty with this stroller. But they are super easy to push, steer one handed, and super light. Plus it has a carry strap so you can sling it over your should if you have to deal with buses (it weighs 8 pounds). It has a decent canopy.

Plus if you find you aren't using it, bring a bungy cord, or stroller hooks and attach it to the Baby Jogger when you aren't using it.

bubbaray
10-07-2010, 03:53 PM
We go to DL with a Mac Volo for DD#1 and an Esprit SpeedSun for DD#2 (like a Quest in terms of recline, but with bigger wheels). When DD#1 isn't using the Volo, we fold it and put it in the Esprit basket, using the shoulder strap over the Esprit handle. Works really well.

FYI, your 4yo will DEFINITELY ABSOLUTELY need a stroller. You will be VERY unhappy (and so will she) if you don't take one for her. Trust us on this.

bnme
10-07-2010, 04:25 PM
We bought Volos for our WDW trips with older kids. We got our first one when we went with 3.5 and 5yo. I only had a Graco Metrolite and a Graco tandem double up until then :bag. We brought the Volo and the Metrolite and pushing the Metrolite was a nightmare compared to the Volo -even though it had never bothered me before.

When we went a year later I got another one since I knew my 6yo would still need the occasional ride (haven't used it since) and I was so over the Graco. I was seriously kicking myself for not having bought them before. I did get that 2nd Volo for only $40 on ebay (it was an irregular or something because of the dye lot). Even if I had paid full price it would be cheaper then renting the Disney stroller.

cheri
10-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone--I knew asking the experts here would be a good idea.

We're flying, and to complicate things, we're leaving as the moving company packs up our stuff for a cross-country move. We'll leave from WDW to go to our new home. I was trying to minimize the amount of stuff we'd need, but I definitely understand the reasons for taking a second good stroller.

Looks like I'm off to acquire another stroller.... :)

LarsMal
10-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Reading all of this is making me rethink my stroller plan! I was planning on taking two singles (the P3 and my Chicco umbrella), but after reading the responses I guess we should take a double and a single. Yes? No? Two singles and the Ergo? (sorry to hijack!)

OP- we're leaving in two weeks, too!

WatchingThemGrow
10-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Reading all of this is making me rethink my stroller plan! I was planning on taking two singles (the P3 and my Chicco umbrella), but after reading the responses I guess we should take a double and a single. Yes? No? Two singles and the Ergo? (sorry to hijack!)

OP- we're leaving in two weeks, too!
We're taking a BJCMD and a Triumph - or maybe a BJCED and triumph, plus the Ergo. I got the stroller hooks to clip the Mac on the BJ, as someone else posted.

LarsMal
10-07-2010, 10:11 PM
We're taking a BJCMD and a Triumph - or maybe a BJCED and triumph, plus the Ergo. I got the stroller hooks to clip the Mac on the BJ, as someone else posted.

I was trying to avoid the big strollers, but I guess we'll just have to find space for them. Although, I guess I *could* take three singles since we'll have four adults available to push three strollers...hmmm...

suzi
10-08-2010, 12:41 AM
I need guidance also. I'll be travelling with kids alone to the park and DO NOT want to carry a stroller on a plane. Considering renting a sit/stand from Orlando Stroller Rental or a Baby Jogger City Mini Double from Magic Strollers. I've never used these. Any advice?
DS is 5 and ~55 lbs. DD is almost 3 and ~40 lbs.

lhafer
10-08-2010, 03:51 AM
I need guidance also. I'll be travelling with kids alone to the park and DO NOT want to carry a stroller on a plane. Considering renting a sit/stand from Orlando Stroller Rental or a Baby Jogger City Mini Double from Magic Strollers. I've never used these. Any advice?
DS is 5 and ~55 lbs. DD is almost 3 and ~40 lbs.

If you kids still nap, I probably wouldn't got with a sit n stand. The recline is not good enough for a decent place to take a nap.

I have a single Baby Jogger City Mini and a single Baby Jogger City Classic (slightly larger with air tires, and has higher weigh capacity).

I have a 4.5 year old who can fit just fine into my city mini, but she has more room in the Classic. She's 40.5 in tall and on the way skinny side weighing in around 32 pounds or so. Pushing her in the mini is not a problem. But, because the classic has air tires, it would probably be a little easier to push your almost 100lbs worth of kiddos. I would look in to Orlando strollers because they have the Classic series for rent, as well as the city mini double. The classic is a little heavier than the mini and a tad more builky, but still has the same awesome Baby Jogger fold. But really, either double would be fine.

cheri
10-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Just wanted to update you on what I decided. Thanks so much for all of the help!

I ordered the Volo from the ebay store (thanks lhafer!), and the stroller hooks to attach it to the BJCM. I'll update you all with a report when I get back :).

LarsMal, we'll be there from 10/19 (flying in late) to 10/27. If you see two little girls in princess fabric dresses (gotta get busy on those....) in a red BJCM and a green Volo, that's us! Make sure to say hi :).

Thanks again, everyone.

LarsMal
10-08-2010, 11:17 PM
LarsMal, we'll be there from 10/19 (flying in late) to 10/27. If you see two little girls in princess fabric dresses (gotta get busy on those....) in a red BJCM and a green Volo, that's us! Make sure to say hi :).

I'll be looking! We'll be there the 10/23-10/30. If you see a mom with three little kids (5 and under), with her in-laws and DH, looking like she's ready to pull her hair out...that'll be me. If you see me, save me!!!

Have fun!

lhafer
10-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Just wanted to update you on what I decided. Thanks so much for all of the help!

I ordered the Volo from the ebay store (thanks lhafer!), and the stroller hooks to attach it to the BJCM. I'll update you all with a report when I get back :).

Thanks again, everyone.

No problem! If you look at the reviews/pics of these hooks (http://www.amazon.com/Hook-Stroll-Stroller-Accessory-Black/dp/B00158DS0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286597871&sr=8-1) I posted pics of how I plan to attach my vole to my classic.

WatchingThemGrow
10-09-2010, 05:45 AM
lhafer, it WAS you! Thanks for posting those! I need to try them out on our BJCMD (red) and Triumph (racing green). Cheri and LarsMal, we'll be there then too!
What shade is your volo - lime?

WatchingThemGrow
10-09-2010, 05:47 AM
No problem! If you look at the reviews/pics of these hooks (http://www.amazon.com/Hook-Stroll-Stroller-Accessory-Black/dp/B00158DS0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286597871&sr=8-1) I posted pics of how I plan to attach my vole to my classic.
I've never "known" anyone who added an amazon photo. how cool!!

lhafer
10-09-2010, 08:30 AM
I've never "known" anyone who added an amazon photo. how cool!!

Lol! Someone wanted pics of what I was talking about one day on a different forum - the disboards maybe. And I couldn't figure out how to upload them. So I just did an Amazon review and added them there and gave them the link to that site!! :hysterical: I use Amazon so much anyway. I periodically leave reviews, but I had never left photos before that time.

Have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to go on ours...leaving Black Friday! :yay:

Momof3Labs
10-09-2010, 09:37 AM
I honestly can't see moving through the WDW crowds with a Volo hanging off of the side of the stroller, bumping into people. I'd honestly try to find a way to attach it to the back or work on a plan B.

lhafer
10-09-2010, 09:51 AM
I honestly can't see moving through the WDW crowds with a Volo hanging off of the side of the stroller, bumping into people. I'd honestly try to find a way to attach it to the back or work on a plan B.

Yes, I guess I could get a huge double stroller because those manuever through the crowds better.

It's not nearly as cumbersome as it looks. It's not nearly as wide as a double stroller. Having someone, like my husband walk on that side of the stroller would prevent people from walking into it. And if they do - that's their problem for not watching where they are going.

Hanging it from the back may be an option. I haven't found a good way to secure it. I need to be able to recline the seat fully, so hanging it from the back would get in the way. And it's a lot better than pushing an empty stroller around.

bubbaray
10-09-2010, 10:09 AM
We just looped the Volo's shoulder strap over the other stroller handle and put the wheels in the basket. So the Volo was at the back of the stroller, between the stroller and the pusher. It worked well.

Having said that, we used both strollers a LOT. DH swears the girls didn't walk at all there.

liz
10-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Cheri and LarsMal, I will be there as well (10/19-10/26). What a coincidence!

bubbaray
10-09-2010, 10:29 AM
I"ve met up with elektra and urquie from this Board at DL -- at lunch at Ariel's Grotto. We just made our reservations at the same time. It was a lot of fun both times -- I hope you ladies get to meet up too. :)

suzi
10-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Booked a double through Magic strollers. This will be easier on my back than the sit/stand and was cheaper than Orlando stroller rentals. Reviews I found for Magic strollers have been good. Will be there solo 10/20 until sister arrives 10/21 and DH arrives 10/22. I'll be the tired, desperate looking one with 5 yo DS and 2 yo DD!

cheri
10-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Wow. There will be a lot of us there then....LarsMal, WatchingThemGrow, Liz, Suzi. Anyone else?

Is there a BBB secret signal or something, so we can recognize each other? :p

liz
10-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Wow. There will be a lot of us there then....LarsMal, WatchingThemGrow, Liz, Suzi. Anyone else?

Ha, our own secret society :)

LarsMal
10-09-2010, 09:50 PM

Wow! How fun!

I don't know if there's a secret signal, but we could make one. Maybe I'll be sure to wear my Fairy bracelet and hold it over my head as we walk around the parks!!

Do you guys have your days/parks planned yet? I just know we will definitely be in Epcot on Thursday and most likely MK on Tuesday (so we can go to the light parade and fireworks). I'll be on the lookout for WTG that day!

cheri
10-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Here's our plan:

Wednesday (10/20) MK
Thursday (10/21) Epcot (Princess Breakfast at 10:50)
Friday (10/22) AK
Saturday (10/23) Epcot
Sunday (10/24) MK (Crystal Palace Breakfast at 10:10) (MNSSHP)
Monday (10/25) DHS
Tuesday (10/26) MK

LarsMal, looks like we may be in the same places on at least a couple of days :). On Thursday, I expect the girls will be wearing their costumes for the breakfast. Look for a brunette Aurora (DD1) and a tiny blonde Cinderella (DD2) (and their two servants....pushing strollers and carrying bags).

We should come up with something so we can recognize each other.... I know the DisBoards people use lime green Mickeys. Maybe we can find something similar.

I'm getting so excited, but for pete's sake, deciding to make dresses for this trip was a bit over the top!

LarsMal
10-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Booked a double through Magic strollers. This will be easier on my back than the sit/stand and was cheaper than Orlando stroller rentals. Reviews I found for Magic strollers have been good. Will be there solo 10/20 until sister arrives 10/21 and DH arrives 10/22. I'll be the tired, desperate looking one with 5 yo DS and 2 yo DD!

So glad you posted this! I think we're going to do this, too.