PDA

View Full Version : which is better?

Mayme714
10-07-2010, 09:40 AM
My DD is 3 and really enjoys reading. Does anyone have any advice as to which is better, the leapfrog explorer or tag? I am leaning towards the explorer b/c I feel like it can grow with her and I like the fact that you could do math things too.

anyone have both? which one do you like better?
thanks

bandgsmama
10-07-2010, 11:18 AM
we have both here. i would say our leapster or leapster explorer gets more play time than the tag. but, my kids are usually playing them on long rides in the van & i think maybe it's too much for them in their lap with the tag & book.

at home, they would rather us read to them than use the tag. hope that helps!

wimama
10-07-2010, 11:41 AM
We have a Tag Reader and a bunch of Tag books.

DS never uses it as intended, to sound out words. We usually just read with him at night, but sometimes we will let him listen to the stories on the Tag pen, like when on a long car ride with headphones or when he is having a rough time settling down at night to sleep. We don't let him do that very often. Some nights I can just tell he is too wound up to go to sleep and I let him listen to the pen after we read his bedtime books and say good night. He is usually out with in a few minutes that way, otherwise he can stay awake and wound up for quite a while when he gets like that. Again it is a rarity and a treat for him to listen to his Tag pen. He never uses it to sound out words.

So, unless you get a great deal on a Tag, I would go for the Explorer. We are considering an Explorer for our DS.

ang79
10-07-2010, 02:33 PM
My DD1 just turned 4 and received a hand-me-down Tag reader and books from a relative this summer. She loves it! She listens to the books and plays the games during her quiet time on days she doesn't nap and it keeps her entertained for quite awhile. She uses the Disney Princess/Fairy books the most, but is getting quite good at the reading comp. questions and games and picks up lots of little details from the stories that I wouldn't think she would. She is not using it yet to help with the reading aspect, but I do think she is improving lots of skills through the games (comprehension, connecting letter sounds to certain words and pictures, rhyming words, etc.). I do not have a Leapster or any other "reading" games to compare it to, but so far DH and I have been really impressed with the Tag reader. My almost 2 yr. old loves to use it too, with my help. So much so that I've been stalking CL for a good deal on one for her, as we have several of the Tag Jr. books that we've connected to the regular Tag pen for her to use and they always want to use it at the same time of course!

KimMae
10-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't know what the Explorer is. My DD just turned 5 and first got the TAG at almost 4. She never played with it much - preferring the Leapster and even the Didj. She would "read" each book and then not give it much more attention. She was only allowed to play with it in the car. In the house she is very interested in sitting/reading/worksheet activities though so it seemed like something she would like.

Indianamom2
10-07-2010, 06:26 PM
We have both and I would say that while DD really likes both, I'd probably go with the Explorer. No toy that DD has ever gotten has been played with more. She BLEW threw the games, which really shocked me. We haven't tried using it as an E-reader yet, but I think since it has a lot more functions, it would be the better bet.

WatchingThemGrow
10-07-2010, 08:28 PM
We have both. DD likes both a lot, but I keep them in a drawer so she plays with other stuff more. I believe the Explorer will have Tag-like applications, so it kinda does away with that item. HOWEVER, DD also "reads" her Tag books without the pen, putting her back in the more natural "leafing through books" act that we prefer.