PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS

lines
10-07-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm contemplating getting DD1 a DS for Christmas but know nothing about it. I saw a set at Costco, but it was about $180. It included extras like cases, etc. but no games, and I felt like the price was steep. I know there are several versions - not sure if its worth it to get the newest. Also wondering what and where the best deal you've seen is? Any advice/info is appreciated!

geochick
10-07-2010, 11:56 AM
A padded case is really nice - kids are rough on DSs. It's also nice to have a protected place for games too. We got ours on Amazon. Check there. There will be lots of packages on sale in the coming months all over the place!

We have a DSi and a DSi XL. The XL screen is really nice, but not necessary.

kboyle
10-07-2010, 03:20 PM
we have 2 ds' in the house and 1 dsi. if your child is planning on playing older gameboy games then i would stick to the ds...the perks of the dsi (camera, browsing, dsware) is good for older kids. my 5yo doesn't use any of those features on ds1 (7yo) dsi.

we have a nerf case on ds2s ds...it's lasted 2 yrs, yes it's peeling away, but it survives a ton of drops.

i purchase all our video gaming needs from gamestop.

geochick
10-07-2010, 03:42 PM
My ds stared using the DSi features at about age 6. His friends have those "i" features, so if your kid has friends with a DSi, and the kids are around 5-6, go with the DSi.

hellokitty
10-07-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I was wondering, when the sales start to sprout up closer to christmas what would be considered a good price for a DSi? I was originally thinking DS, but I did not think about the fact that if there are other kids with the DSi, then it means they can't play together, so we'd probably lean more toward the DSi. What stinks is that I will probably have to buy two of these, b/c DS2 will be insanely jealous if his older brother has one and he doesn't and they'll probably break the thing fighting over it.

SnuggleBuggles
10-07-2010, 07:22 PM
I prefer the plain DS. I don't really want ds to have the ability to go online (perhaps that feature can be blocked?). I also love that he can play old Game Boy games in there- such a money saver! A DS and a DSi can play together at least on some games so you might want to look into that before writing off the idea of a DS. Dh has a DSiXL and ds1 has a DS.

None of the extras we got in our Costco bundle have been used. Ds1 has not used the case and it hasn't been a problem. The other stuff just hasn't been needed.

Beth

lil_acorn
10-07-2010, 07:59 PM
We have the DS Lite & I think it is fine for my 6 year old; I couldn't justify the added cost. The best deal I was able to find was at walmart- I got the ds lite and two games for $129 ? Also came with a nice case and a whole bunch of other accessories but those are pretty useless except the case. Track the item there til you see a good deal.

GL!

Melbel
10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
There are pros/cons to DS vs. DSi. We did not feel as though the DSi had enough new things to offer to warrant an upgrade. Plus there were some minuses for the DSi (i.e. shorter battery life). There is a coupon for $30 off the DSi in the coupon book that came out from Costco today valid starting next week. I think a newer version Nintendo is being released soon, which should result in some good deals on the DS and DSi.

There is a scan of the coupons here:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=692009&t=2282287

urquie
10-10-2010, 05:33 PM
anyone know if this is a good deal?

Nintendo DSi XL - 169.99
$25 Fred Meyer Gift Card FREE with purchase of Nintendo DSi XL and In-Store Coupon

Pre-loaded with 3 games on an amazing 4.2" screen. Snap and tweak photos, plus record and play your own sounds and music. Colors vary.

Monday, October 11 6 hour sale - 7am - 1pm

http://fredmeyer.inserts2online.com/customer_Frame.jsp?divID=701&drpStoreID=00417

SnuggleBuggles
10-10-2010, 06:22 PM
I can't remember if I paid $169 or $189 a few weeks ago for that exact item at Target (preloaded with games). So, either way it's a good deal.

Beth