PDA

View Full Version : bean bag chairs - worth the $?

twindad
10-07-2010, 04:14 PM
My dw wants to buy our dds (5.5 years old) some bean bag chairs. She's interested in the ones from Lands End. When I asked how much they were I thought it was ridiculous. $130 each for a bean bag chair - I think that is crazy. Is it really worth it. She thinks our girls would love using them to sit and read in now that they are starting to read and she likes the fact that they are portable and can be used anywhere in the house. Is there a cheaper alternative that won't fall apart?

Percycat
10-07-2010, 05:31 PM
There are several less expensive options, but I don't know if they are what your DW wants.

My kids love beanbags and they are perfect for transporting to different locations.

Do you have a Garden Ridge store in your area? We have purchased several of these bean bags. My kids have three bags at our house and two bags at my mothers house. They were under $10 apiece when purchased. Three of the bags are fabric (light weight denim in solid pink, light denim, and red) and two are mulit-primary colored vinyl. Several of these are at least 5 years old.

One negative to the Garden Ridge beanbags and some of the more expensive bags is that the cover is the bean bag. We have had no problems with the beans leaking out of the bag, but you really can't throw the bag into the washing machine. Many of the more expensive bags have a beanbag and a beanbag cover. Often you can wash the beanbag cover, or at least replace it. Lilian Vernon is another store that sells bags and covers.

My thought was that the bag was so inexpensive that if we needed to replace it, we could.

I'm sure your kids will love their bean bags how ever you decide to get them.
angela

ett
10-07-2010, 05:46 PM
We have 2 of the fabric bean bags from Target. They were $20 for the solid colored ones and $25 for the applique ones. The only negative about them is that you can't remove the cover to wash it. But I can deal with it for that price. DS1's OT suggested we get one for him and I didn't really want to shelve out over $100 for one. DS1 likes to sit in them to read.

willow33
10-07-2010, 06:27 PM
We have these bean bags from the The Land of Nod and I would highly recommend them.
http://www.landofnod.com/bean-bags/kids/1

They are several years old and still look brand new and are very soft. And they are cheaper than the Land's End option :)

katydid1971
10-07-2010, 08:26 PM
I few years ago I bought a $40 bean bag from target. Well my DS loved to jump into it and it started to leak little styrofoam balls which I found DS putting into his nose (why into his nose, becuase he's a little boy and it made sense to him :rolleyes:) We threw it away that day. I know we didn't have it a whole year. I wish I had spent more $$ and bought something that would have held up better.