PDA

View Full Version : Is there a secret to defrosting?

bigsis
10-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I must not know it. Every time I try to defrost meat in the fridge, it takes 3-4 days. And then, it goes from rock hard to rotten. Grrrr!

Any secrets out there? TIA!

infomama
10-07-2010, 08:16 PM
3-4 days seems like a long time to defrost. Is your fridge unusually cold? Do you keep the meat near the way back where it is colder? Perhaps try breaking the meat up before you freeze it so you aren't defrosting such a large chunk at once.

jgenie
10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I generally put meat I want to defrost in a bowl of water in the fridge. It seems to help them thaw quickly.

bigsis
10-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I generally put meat I want to defrost in a bowl of water in the fridge. It seems to help them thaw quickly.

And how long does it take when you do that? Let's say 1 lb of meat as an example.

bigsis
10-08-2010, 12:11 AM
3-4 days seems like a long time to defrost. Is your fridge unusually cold? Do you keep the meat near the way back where it is colder? Perhaps try breaking the meat up before you freeze it so you aren't defrosting such a large chunk at once.

I know it takes forever, it's so annoying. By the time it's defrosted, I've lost my mood and patience to cook it. I end up trashing it. :( I put it in the lowest shelf of the fridge, right above the crisper.

infomama
10-08-2010, 01:37 AM
1lb of meat shouldn't take that long to defrost. Maybe use your micro's defrost setting and watch it closely.

jgenie
10-08-2010, 05:09 AM
And how long does it take when you do that? Let's say 1 lb of meat as an example.

I put it in at night and it's generally ready to cook for dinner the next day. For me the problem is remembering to take it out of the freezer. :)

MomToOne
10-08-2010, 07:35 AM
I put it in at night and it's generally ready to cook for dinner the next day. For me the problem is remembering to take it out of the freezer. :)

:yeahthat: 1 lb of meat defrosts in 24 hours in my fridge.

Nyfeara
10-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I also try to freeze my ground beef and other meats flat or in a single thin layer. They take less time to defrost this way, especially the ground beef. I put what I want in the bag & then squish it into a flat round or square, then freeze. It also makes it easier to stack in the freezer.

We do a lot of freezer meals and everything is totally thawed in the fridge within 18-24 hrs.

brittone2
10-09-2010, 03:01 PM
:yeahthat: 1 lb of meat defrosts in 24 hours in my fridge.
:yeahthat: