PDA

View Full Version : Which style Medela breast pump is best?

FirstTimeMomFromMN
10-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I am a first time mom and having a difficult time choosing a breast pump. I will be taking 16 weeks off of work and so I don't plan on using it right away. After those first 16 weeks, I will be returning to work full-time. The hospital I work at has Medela Symphonies available to use in their "pump rooms." What would I need to purchase as far as accessories to use these? For at home, I have it narrowed down to the Pump in Style Advanced Metro Bag, Pump in Style Advanced Shoulder Bag, or the Freestyle. Does anyone have any advice on which of these is best and pros/cons for each? Also, besides the pump, what other accessories do I need to purchase? Do most people use the Medela bottles or does anyone have any other suggestions? So many questions....Thanks for your advice in advance!!

wellyes
10-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Any of the PISAs is great, so just buy the one you can get the best deal on.
I pump into Medela bottles but we don't use them for feeding. We use Sassy Mams, but there are lots of good ones.... the Playtex drop-in designed for breastfed babies is another favorite, and super easy.

The Lanisoh bags are the best for freezer storage. They're thick and have a double seal so they never leak.

You're lucky to have such a nice pumping set up at work!

catsnkid
10-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Can't help you on the parts for the rental.. I had a Medela PIS backpack. I went back to work after 13 weeks and work FT. I had two sets of horns, and about a dozen bottles at least. I bought cheap walmart generic bottles and ordered Dr Brown's caps online @ Amazon, that was cheaper than buying Medela bottles and they were compatable with my pump. You will want some storage bags for freezing breast milk- Lanisoh is the best brand in my opinion. Some extra flanges and the white rubber thingies that go in them are handy. The steamer sterilizer bags are handy as well. breakoutbras.com is good for ordering extra parts etc.

ETA: If you are pumping at home, only once in awhile, I don't know if I would spring for a PIS, maybe a simpler pump..

NewMom2007
10-07-2010, 09:54 PM
You'll need to get a Symphony Kit - http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/pump-accessories/91/symphony-double-pumping-kit

This is the same pump I have at work. I also have a PISA (the shoulder bag, I'm not much into backpacks), but I travel frequently, so need something more powerful when I'm on the road. I also have a Medela Harmony, which I use when my babies get older, I'm traveling and they only nurse 1-2 times/day.

I recommend a hands-free bra (not necessary, but a convenience), an extra set of horns and several bottles. I use Medela bottles b/c everything I bought came with some. The little white flanges - buy some extras - they should be replaced every 3 months or so if used regularly.

Do you plan to pump at home exclusively? Unless you do or travel a lot, I agree with PP, you may not need a PISA. You could get away with a Harmony.

At work, figure out the cleaning situation. Do you have a sink near where you pump to wash the parts?