PDA

View Full Version : the arrivals of 2nds...

dukie41181
10-08-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm starting to get anxious about the arrival of daughter #2. I am due November 7th and frankly, I'm not too certain about the timing of this pregnancy and thus the due date. I've been feeling like there's the possibility of going early and 2 family members (MIL and my sister) both commented today that they think there's a strong possibility I will be early. This has me so worried as I need to be bare minimun 36.5 weeks to deliver at the birth center (and I plan to work until 28 weeks). I have been having lots of Braxton Hicks contractions too...seemingly more than the first time around. Might this be a sign of my body getting ready early or merely due to the fact that this time I'm chasing around after a 20 month old and not getting the same rest I was able to prior? I still have work to do here at the house to feel fully prepared...get the baby's room together, pack a bag, etc. Perhas I'm worrying for a whole lotta nothing!?

MoJo
10-08-2010, 05:12 AM
I was sure of my due date, but had very strong feelings & fears that #2 would come early. Even the admissions nurse at the birth center took one look at me at around 36 weeks and asked if I thought I'd make it to my due date (And there you have to be a full 38 weeks. . . I was just there for paperwork). I had lots of BH contractions for months. I was VERY relieved when I made it to the 38 week point.

And Ha arrived just 3 days before her due date.

Are you measuring on target? Since you're not sure of your due date, I'd ask if they haven't told you. And if you are, then try not to worry--which I know is a lot easier said than done.

If it helps, I also got a much better dosage of "nesting energy" with #2 than #1 (not sure I got it at all with #1). Pack your bag (or at least make a good packing list), and remember that as long as baby has a place to sleep, it's OK if the room isn't ready the day she arrives. In fact, my 4 month old is still in the PNP in my room.

brittone2
10-08-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't think you can look at someone and determine that they'll go early. I carried very big in all my pregnancies (big big belly LOL. By 25 weeks I generally look full term with a good sized basketball type belly, kwim?). I am short and have a short torso to boot, so my belly goes way out in front of me. Many, many people commented through the years that I had to be having twins, that I was going to go early, etc. DS1 was my eariiest at 39w1d ;) DD was born at 40w2d, and DS2 was born at exactly 40 weeks on my EDD.

I contracted for weeks with DS1, walked around 2-3 cm dilated and 80% effaced for 2-3 weeks, and still didn't go early. With DD I was barely 1cm dilated on my due date (first internal) but went into labor the next day. Never had an internal prior to labor with DS2. After my experience with DS1 I never was a fan of internals and generally just declined as I don't feel I really glean useful info from them.

With DS1 I distinctly remember everyone telling me I hadn't "dropped' yet and had a long way to go, etc. and he was born like a day or two later. I never really appeared to "drop" at all.

I would try to let your worries go. I used a FSBC for my labor and delivery with DD and had a homebirth with DS2 (and had to be at least 36 weeks) so I know it feels really, really important to have that option available. If you don't have any major risk factors for going early, try not to stress about it :hug:

luckytwenty
10-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't think you can look at someone and determine that they'll go early.

:yeahthat: You tend to carry bigger after the first baby, and some of us are just "blessed" to have that all-belly look that makes people shriek, "You're gonna go any day now!" when you're 6 months.

Also, BH contractions happen a lot earlier usually with second+ pregnancies, and they're worse. I had them my entire second trimester when I was pregnant with #2, and she arrived a week later than #1! I'd try not to worry about it. Ultimately, no one wants to go too early, but if you're due Nov. 7 you're already "cooked" enough to not have to worry at this point about a dangerously premature infant, which would be the worst case scenario.

kdeunc
10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I was completely convinced that I was going to go early, really early with DD. She was a scheduled section at 38 weeks 5 days. I felt the whole pregnancy that she would never stay put that long. DS1 was induced 10 days early, DS2 was delivered 10 days before his scheduled section, DD stayed put until her scheduled day! :) She was my longest of the three pregnancies. Sometimes gut feelings are right and sometimes they are wrong. Hope she stays for you! :)

ewpmsw
10-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I was also convinced that I'd deliver DD2 earlier than the due date, and I was chasing a toddler around while feeling super nesty the last two or three months. The Braxton-Hicks started earlier in that pregnancy and were much stronger. (The extreme heat from this past summer may have exacerbated them, tho.) I went into labor the day before her due date and delivered an hour after it had passed. You can just never tell. Be as prepared as you can and try not to drive yourself crazy with the "when's" and all the stuff that might not get finished in time. (That advice would not have been a comfort to me two and a half months ago, but now I feel like the friends who kept telling me things would fall into place were right.)

Best wishes and congrats on your little one.

HIU8
10-11-2010, 10:14 PM
I had dreams about delivering DS early. I made it to 38 weeks 1 day. With DD I prayed I would go early b/c of the massive sciatica pain I had starting at 6 months. By 8 months I wasn't walking at all (other than around the house and that was minimal). I had no braxton hicks, no signs. I got sick, threw up, called the OB and she was born 3 hours later.

swissair81
10-11-2010, 10:20 PM
I have strong BH contractions with every pregnancy. They make me absolutely nuts. Still, I've never had a baby before 36.5 weeks (although 3 out of 4 were early).