PDA

View Full Version : s/o do you measure your child's food

hillview
10-08-2010, 06:12 AM
The post on oz of milk got me thinking. I don't think I ever really measured what my kids were drinking/eating. I remember when the pedi would ask about how many oz of milk DS was drinking I had to think about it and then guess/estimate. My boys are both very big and maybe that is part of it -- they get "enough" I think if they were not so big (they are/were like 99% big) I might pay more attention.

Just curious if it is just me ...
/hillary

MoJo
10-08-2010, 06:18 AM
No. I'm never sure how to answer the ped either. . . and my oldest is well above average size, so I never worried about it.

JBaxter
10-08-2010, 08:08 AM
never have my sippy cups are 7ozs I guess at it. I guess if my kids were really fat or really skinny I would worry. My boys have always self regulated on the food I make food they eat.

LMPC
10-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm more of a "let her self regulate" kind of mom. For meals, we start off with about 1/4 c of each food (maybe 3-5 depending on meal). And she just eats until she's full with me adding more food to the plate as needed....and then starts playing with her fork or milk or plate.... She's always been in line with weight and height (typically 25%tile for each).

brittone2
10-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Never.

Both kids are on the skinnier side, but we don't really restrict healthy snacks and I never offered a lot of cows milk or beverages other than water.

But no, I never measured how many half cups of this or that like the AAP sample menu. That seems like a sure fire way end up with everyone in the family stressed out about intake.

Sweetum
10-08-2010, 04:11 PM
DS is 20mo now and I only keep track of his milk/dairy intake, not exact, though. I have an idea the level upto which if I filled his cup it would be 4oz and I stick to that level. Other things, no. I just make sure he's getting some. I do try to go back and look at recommendations (food pyramid) to be sure I have not deviated too much - as long as I'm in the ball park!

Melaine
10-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I kept track of their formula, but they were preemies. And that didn't last too long.

wellyes
10-08-2010, 04:36 PM
No, but it's easy to know how much they drink when they're in bottles. Formula or pumping, either way, you're always looking at the number of ounces.

HonoluluMom
10-08-2010, 05:07 PM
For pumped breastmilk, I measure and keep track.

For cow milk, I can barely get her to drink 1 oz per day (I try to make up with yogurt, cheese and other dairy).

For solids, I just let her self-regulate and this is what DD's pediatrician recommended.

peanut520
10-08-2010, 07:38 PM
no, i dont measure we just let her self regulate. i have an idea how much milk just because she asks for the same amount daily. she is under 10%tile but the ped is not worried because she is growing and looks healthly. she is allow to snack as much as she wants on healthy things (fruit, vegs, annies bunnies, cheese, yogurt, and tj organic animal crackers)

Dr C
10-08-2010, 07:48 PM
We don't measure at all!!
I have a rough guess with formula because we make the bottles, but even then DH (a SAHD) doesn't really keep track. And that's for the baby. For DS--shoot, we have no idea.
Both kids are growing fine. That's all I care about. If they had either anemia or constipation I would want to quantify their milk intake, to make sure it's not too much... otherwise... they seem to be ok.

Pear
10-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Evenn if I measured what i put on her plate, I would have to measure what landed on the floor and smeared on her bib to have any meaningful idea of actual consumption.