PDA

View Full Version : Picture Books losing to Chapter Books, NYT

marge234
10-08-2010, 08:42 PM
"The economic downturn is certainly a major factor, but many in the industry see an additional reason for the slump. Parents have begun pressing their kindergartners and first graders to leave the picture book behind and move on to more text-heavy chapter books. Publishers cite pressures from parents who are mindful of increasingly rigorous standardized testing in schools."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/us/08picture.html?pagewanted=1&ref=general&src=me

A mom unfairly characterized in the article responds:
"Once again, for all those people judging me based on a quote taken out of context, I'm actually the sort of parent very opposite of what this article paints me to be. I've written a full response up about the way my children went from picture to chapter books, all on their own, when they themselves were ready: http://zenleaf.amandagignac.com..."

hellokitty
10-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Hmmm, well even if the economy is doing badly there is always the library to check out picture books for FREE.

daniele_ut
10-08-2010, 10:57 PM
The author of that article has clearly never been in my home. I might be single handedly supporting the picture book publishing industry :ROTFLMAO:

Seriously, though, DS is in kindergarten and I did post a month or so ago about some good books to read with him and several of the posters specifically mentioned that we should not give up picture books entirely. We have been reading The Mouse and the Motorcycle and the Magic Treehouse books, but we're still reading a lot of picture books as well.

hellokitty
10-09-2010, 10:32 AM
The author of that article has clearly never been in my home. I might be single handedly supporting the picture book publishing industry :ROTFLMAO:

Seriously, though, DS is in kindergarten and I did post a month or so ago about some good books to read with him and several of the posters specifically mentioned that we should not give up picture books entirely. We have been reading The Mouse and the Motorcycle and the Magic Treehouse books, but we're still reading a lot of picture books as well.

Same here. I have banned myself from buying anymore books. I have SIX bookshelves of just childrens' books, most of them picture books and I could fill up another bookshelf with more books, but DH refuses to let me buy more bookshelves. I usually buy my kids books through the thrift or used library book sale and they are only 25 cents a piece and many of them are in like new condition.