PDA

View Full Version : This means nothing, right?

LadyPeter
10-08-2010, 08:42 PM
I am 36 weeks and I could swear I lost my mucous plug this morning. (Isn't that a horrific phrase?) Not pink or red, or anything, but definitely...something.

My books say labor could begin anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks after this happens. (Um, thanks.) I am TRYING not to get my hopes up, but does this mean that I probably won't be late, at least?

The other thing is that I've been nesting like crazy - cleaning, cooking, packing the hospital bag, etc. and now I'm wondering if this is a sign that the baby is coming sooner than expected.

So basically, I just needed to tell somebody because my brain is going "This means nothing," and my heart is going "This is it! This is it!" Even though I don't WANT him to be born till he's 37 weeks at least.

I think I'm crazy.

SnuggleBuggles
10-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Means very, very, very little. You can say, "yay, progress! maybe my cervix is changing some" but try not to think much about it. Did you have an internal exam recently? Sometimes that can dislodge it. On my old labor board I found just no rhyme or reason with loss of plug and when the baby comes. With mine I did lose it right before labor.

You're not crazy, btw. Just expecting your first and looking to figure out what in the world is happening and when it will really happen. Throw in the opinions of every book and anecdotes from every btdt mom and your head can spin. :) I obsessed about just about every twinge and thing that came out of me in those final weeks too.

Beth

pb&j
10-08-2010, 09:34 PM
I lost mine at least 2-3 weeks before DS was born. And I walked around 2 cm or more dilated for at least that long.

Nesting also started weeks before he was born - he was born in early Jan and I had a total nesting freakout meltdown thingy where I just HAD to battle traffic to go to the mall on Christmas eve to buy baby socks b/c I was convinced that Something Bad would happen if I didn't have like 20 pairs of socks. (Which he never wore b/c he was in footed sleepers all the time, BTW.) Oh, and he was induced, so had I gone into labor naturally, it could have been even longer.

Those last few weeks are so hard!!

lovebebes
10-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Im 36 weeks tomorrow:love-retry:

The darn plug, although exciting as heck, can regenerate too...so although it IS a sign that your body is getting ready-it could be taking its sweet time doing so.

I am excited to see a plug myself and keep checking for it every time...after all, how many times in a lifetime do we get to see such a monster.

LadyPeter
10-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the support, ladies. I'm torn between wanting the baby to take as long as he needs to get good and healthy, and desperately wanting to meet him and NOT BE PREGNANT ANYMORE! Also, some first-timer jitters. :-)