PDA

View Full Version : Boosters for carpooling 1st & 2nd grade friends in third row

CiderLogan
10-09-2010, 04:25 PM
We recently got a 2011 Mercedes R350 (has 3rd row airbags). My girls ride in the second row: my average-sized 7yo (50 lbs., 50 inches) rides in a Compass B530, and my big 4yo (50 lbs., 45 inches) will ride in either our second Compass or our Radian (we're leaning towards having her switch to the booster full-time in the new car and use the Radian in our other car).

My question is what to do for the two seats in the third row. We carpool a LOT, sometimes with other 4yo's but usually with other 7yo's. I would probably leave these new seats in the 3rd row most of the time so I'm not constantly taking them in and out, but I'd like to get something that is relatively easy to get out for when I need the cargo space and have to fold down the third row. I was learning towards getting two more Compasses, because we love them, they fit both girls well, and I love the flip-up armrests for easy buckling. But then I compared the Compass to the TurboBooster at BuyBuyBaby and noticed the TB has a lower top height at the same shoulder height and thus would allow better visibility out the back (I do hate to block out my rear window with booster backs, especially when no one is even riding in them most of the time!) and the TBs seem more narrow and may be easier to get in and out from behind the 3rd row.

Then I started to consider just getting two backless boosters for the third row since I'd only put the 2nd graders (not the 4 yo's) back there and it would make it SO much easier to remove them for folding down the 3rd row and I'd be able to see out my rearview mirror, but I am kinda freaked out about using LBBs (we are just getting comfortable with not harnessing!). The 7yo kids we carpool with range from still being harnessed to using backless boosters. If I had two older kids and two younger kids, I'd put the younger ones in the Compasses and the older ones in the back.

So - should I get:
1 - two Compasses - seems like the least appealing option, due to price and visibility
2 - two TBs - but will the 7yo's outgrow the HB portion of this soon? And do I go with the basic one at Target or the plusher one at BabiesRUs?
3 - two LBBs - but am I sacrificing the safety of my friends' kids?? How much difference is there, really, between HB and LB boosters when you have air bags?

We'd typically be driving about 15 minutes away.

Thanks SO much for reading my long message.

Jenny

Joolsplus2
10-09-2010, 06:05 PM
For second graders, I'd probably go with backless boosters, especially in such a sturdy car with airbags. Harmony Lite Riders are super cheap and have cool prints, and Evenflo Amps are just plain neat-looking. Both fit kids very well, keep the belt low on the lap, shoulderbelt on the shoulder. If parents are squeamish and would prefer highbacks, the Turbo really would be fine, even the cheapo one will last an average sized kid to 8-9 comfortably enough for carpool distances (then backless later if they still need it, a third row is often much smaller and kids can pass the 5 step test in it sooner, though).

CiderLogan
10-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Wonderful! THANK YOU!! I felt very strange about considering a step down in safety, but I totally trust your judgment. :)

I'll risk being annoying, but I just have to pick your brain with two follow-up questions -
1. The Harmony has the 'seat-saving' (or whatever they call it) feature that is supposed to be kind to the seat underneath...will the Amp also be ok in that regard?
2. How bad is it to use the (Compass, HB) booster for my 4YO? My older DD was harnessed past Kindergarten, so I feel really guilty about it. On the other hand, I can't reach her well to buckle her in now, and she wants to be a big kid like her sister, and it's nice for carpooling, yadda yadda yadda. I wouldn't even consider it except that she's 50 pounds and so tall and seems to fit great in it. But am I just rationalizing it for my own convenience?

Joolsplus2
10-10-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm not sure about the bottom of the Amp...the top was so cool I've never looked at the bottom, lol. Regardless, no booster will actually damage upholstery, even the knife-sharp Cosco Ambassador/High Rise hasn't ever done harm to a nice car, that I've heard :)

I'm not comfortable full-time boostering my own four year old... the biggest problem starts with the fact it's harder to get her buckled than in a harness (if yours isn't already buckling her harness, you're more than likely going to need to reach over her to help her seatbelt), but then she's so wiggly it's really obnoxious to remind her to sit still, and the few times she still sleeps in the car, she'd be just sideways out of the belt. How would the compass fit with the lapbelt over her lap? On smaller kids it tends to really ride up on the belly, which is bad. I guess try it? If it's really easier, it's not statistically less safe as long as she sits still, and you can always harness her again if you have to.

cicada
10-13-2010, 09:03 PM
For second graders, I'd probably go with backless boosters, especially in such a sturdy car with airbags. Harmony Lite Riders are super cheap and have cool prints, and Evenflo Amps are just plain neat-looking. Both fit kids very well, keep the belt low on the lap, shoulderbelt on the shoulder. If parents are squeamish and would prefer highbacks, the Turbo really would be fine, even the cheapo one will last an average sized kid to 8-9 comfortably enough for carpool distances (then backless later if they still need it, a third row is often much smaller and kids can pass the 5 step test in it sooner, though).

Hi, do you prefer these two boosters to the backless Graco TurboBooster? My dad is currently using a RideSafer Travel Vest for my 4-year-old son. We got the vest for travel, and it has been fine for that purpose. However, my dad is now picking my son up typically once/week, and I'd like to get something easier to use -- especially as my dad seems to have a hard time remembering how to use the travel vest sometimes. He has an Infiniti coupe and seems reluctant to have anything with the permanence or looks of a real car seat, thus the search for a backless booster. Or should I insist on a highback booster? My son is still just under 40 pounds, and he is harnessed in our car. Thanks in advance!!

Joolsplus2
10-14-2010, 08:23 AM
If that car has LATCH, the Safety 1st Go would be a better choice than a backless booster, it's extremely low profile, easy to take in and out, just looks like a backless booster with a harness (but much easier to buckle than the ridesafer, for sure).
If backless is the preferred option for that situation, then the Harmony is the only one that is allowed for a kid under 40 pounds, it's much lighter than the Turbo, and curvy to a buckety seat. It fits my 4 yo very well and the small armrest nubs make it very easy to buckle.

cicada
10-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Do you mean this one? --

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UP391K/ref=s9_simh_gw_p75_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=07W807MSEXRCJ5MT66BC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Thanks.

HIU8
10-14-2010, 11:27 AM
That is what Julie means. We have one (the older Safeguard GO--same thing, different manufacturer) and it's really easy to install and use. I've used it for DS and now for DD in DH's car. You do tighten each side separately on the thigh, but it's sort of obvious that you have to do it this way. We use this for travel as well.