PDA

View Full Version : Pooping during naps

IWU2000
10-09-2010, 09:40 PM
For the past few days, my 8-month-old DD has started pooping during both her morning and afternoon naps. She then only gets a 1/2 hour nap. Is there any way to prevent her from pooping at those times? If she keeps pooping during naps, what's the best way to handle it so she'll have a better chance of going back to sleep. So far what I'm trying isn't working.

DrSally
10-09-2010, 09:44 PM
THat's tough. If you know her general schedule, I'd wait a bit and let her run around before putting her down. For instance, if she tends to go at a certain time, wait it out if you can.

Momof3Labs
10-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Eating and exercising tend to encourage pooping, so I'd try a good dose of both before naptime, in hopes of getting her to poop before she goes down.

SnuggleBuggles
10-10-2010, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't know until he woke up because it doesn't impede sleep for my little guy (didn't back in the day either). Are you noticing it then intervening or is she waking up/ staying up and fussing till you change her? If she isn't complaining and is sleeping I would just wait and change her after the nap. I know that's yucky but it probably isn't that bad. Ds did fine with being in a messy diaper at bedtime and naptime when I didn't know it had happened- no rashes or anything.

Beth

IWU2000
10-10-2010, 09:35 AM
She wakes up after about 1/2 hour. I've let her lay there talking (not fussing) for up to 1/2 hour. When I go in, that's when I notice the poopy diaper. She doesn't sleep through it and won't go back to sleep on her own. Then when I change her, she won't settle back down with my help either.

wellyes
10-10-2010, 09:44 AM
I have the same problem with my 2.5 year old. It's frustrating. Even moving the nap time back or forwards doesn't help. It's like she holds it in until her body relaxes (by falling asleep).

BabbyO
10-11-2010, 03:25 PM
If exercise doesn't help, have you tried a bath. DS' favorite encouragement for pooping lately is the tub. If we just leave him in there for 15 min or so all the splashing and playing and warm water encourage a BM. We just have to be careful to get him out in time...

Good luck.