PDA

View Full Version : Car seat help please!

avasmom01
10-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Hi
I'm pretty new here and mostly just read. I'm in desperate need of a new car seat for my soon to be 3 yr old daughter. She is approx. 40 inches and 42lbs.
We were involved a very serious head on collision with a drunk driver. We were both injured but are very lucky to still be here. My DD was strapped into her marathon but still ended up breaking both her femurs from the force of the accident according to the police.
She's been in a spica cast basically full body cast for the last 10 weeks and riding in a hippo snug seat which i was told was made by Britax. What is the safest car seat i can put her in now. She's a tall, big girl so I want her comfortable and safe. The hippo snug seat one we have on loan from the hospital's been great but apparently they retail for around 700.

Sorry for the long story and any help you can give would be much appreciated!

Joolsplus2
10-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Oh gosh, how traumatic, I'm so glad you are still here, if a little banged up, that's for sure :)
Is she still in her cast now? Or getting out of it and you get to return the Hippo?
I'm thinking the Sunshine Kids Radian would work if she's still in the cast, probably the Britax Frontier 85. Those are also great seats if she's out of the cast, as is the Graco Nautilus (though many of our kids find the Frontier more comfy to sleep in than the Nautilus, either one is very safe and easy to install).

avasmom01
10-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks so much for your repsonse. She just got her cast off this week so she is still in the hippo seat but we'll be returning the seat next week.

I looked up the seats you recommended is there one that's better than the others? Also is my dd able to go in the Frontier since it's a booster even though she'll just be turning 3 this month?
Thanks again!

hillview
10-10-2010, 05:07 PM
The frontier is a 5 point full harness seat that converts to a booster when you want it to. My DSs are in Frontiers in one car and in Radians in the other car. I prefer the Frontier but they are really both great seats. The Radian is lower profile (the Frontier has a higher seat) and the Radian folds for travel. They are both heavy. I think the Frontier is nicer because it seems more plush and has headwings and I get a MUCH better install with the Frontier. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

So glad you are ok! How fast were the cars going? I hope the other driver is in jail for a very very long time!
/hillary

smiles33
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM
How terrifying! I'm so glad you're both ok. I can't imagine being in a full body cast, let alone being a 3 year old. I hope she is able to run around and play again now that she's out of the cast!

I put my DD1 into a Frontier (the first generation one) when she was not yet 4 because DD2 no longer liked her Safeseat and I thought she might be happier in DD1's old Boulevard. As you already know, Britax has some nice conveniences (e.g., usually easy install, no-rethread harness on some models). Still, they are pricey so it's not like you have to go with Britax.

I bought my Frontier a couple months before the Frontier 85 (the 2nd generation) came out so I got some really good deals as the retailers were discounting them. I think I paid about $170. Some of my bigger complaints were addressed in the new Frontier 85.

Hope you find a new seat that is both easy to install and easy to use!

avasmom01
10-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks for everyones advice! I just ordered the Britax Frontier 85 and can't wait to get it. DD is not walking yet but she's definitely glad to have her cast off. And the person who hit us is in jail and will be sentenced soon. We were both going approximately 45 mph and both cars were totaled so I can definitely say I've been happy with my Britax carseat in the past since it helped save my DD.

christiedavid3
10-12-2010, 10:11 AM
WOW so glad to hear you're both still here with us! :hug:

DS rides in a Frontier 85 in my car and we love the seat! I think you'll be very happy with it.

arivecchi
10-12-2010, 11:05 AM
The Frontier is an excellent choice. I hope you both have speedy recoveries!