PDA

View Full Version : Birth Story

KrystalS
10-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Since so many of you were following my story due to my water leaking I wanted to post and let everyone know what happened.

I think I was leaking water for several days but never got a positive test so got sent home twice. Late Monday night I started having contractions. I waited several hours to make sure it was the real thing and finally woke up my mom at 1:30 am and told her it was time to go. I was having intense back contractions, nothing like I had with my DD. I was in a lot of pain. We got to the hospital about 2am and the nurse checked me, I was only 3cm. Same as I had been earlier that day. Nurse did the pH test, negative of course. She hooked me up to monitor but the contractions weren't really showing up, I guess because they were in my back. Nurse was very rude, acted like I was being dramatic about the pain. My mom told her about the infection and that I was positive for strep b because we knew I needed the antibiotics.
Finally I got up to use the bathroom, I couldn't make it due to contractions so I was leaning over a chair and my water gushed out.
About an hour after I arrived they finally admitted me. Nurse checked me again when we got to room and I was an 8! So of course nurse had to rush to get antibiotics started because I needed 2 bags before delivery. I'm allergic to penicillin and it was the middle of the night so pharmacy was closed. They had to call pharmacist on call to come in to get antibiotics, I guess they only kept penicillin on the floor. This took awhile. I was able to get an epidural despite the nurse's protest. She kept telling me I could do it even though I told her that was not what I wanted. Later she told me she didn't think there was going to be time for an epidural and she was trying to prepare me. I just think she could have went about it a better way, she had a lot of attitude.

DH was driving up from Ft Hood so once I got my epidural they let me wait for him to arrive before I started pushing. They were only able to give me one bag of antibiotics before DS was delivered so as a precaution they gave him IV antibiotics after birth. We had to stay 2 days. Felt like forever for me because I had never been away from DD for that long.

DS is doing great, all cultures came back negative for him having strep b. So happy that he is finally here and everything worked out okay. I still think I was leaking water despite all the negative tests. My outcome was fine but for others going through this you should trust your instincts because I just knew something wasn't right.

edurnemk
10-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm glad you're both OK! I personally know what it's like to go from barely dilated to almost totally dilated in 1-2 hours, that is intense! Shame on the nurse.

Best of luck to all 4 of you. :grouphug:

swissair81
10-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Good for you for sticking up for yourself.
(I also dilate really quickly. I've had 2 precipitous births. This time the head was almost crowning & we only knew because I checked myself (don't ask). A few minutes more & I would have done the delivery myself too.

Glad to hear that your DS is okay.

Now relax & enjoy the way too short newbie stage.

ThreeofUs
10-10-2010, 11:14 AM
So glad you all are okay! I bet you were leaking amniotic fluid, too. Weird that the test didn't show it, though pH is notoriously tricky sometimes.

Enjoy your babymoon!

luckytwenty
10-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Boo to that nurse, but yay for your healthy baby!!! So glad he arrived safely and that DH was there in time for his arrival.

citymama
10-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your story and SO glad everything turned out fine. How infuriating about the nurse - can you say something to the hospital? I would hate to be a first time (or any) mom dealing with her when in labor.

Beth24
10-10-2010, 05:10 PM
So happy everything turned out alright. Enjoy your new baby. Swissair is right, the newborn stage goes by so fast.

Sweetum
10-10-2010, 07:12 PM
shame on her! congratulations to you and your family!

swrc00
10-10-2010, 08:09 PM
So glad everything turned out okay. Congrats!!!

OKKiddo
10-11-2010, 12:21 AM
So glad you all are okay! I bet you were leaking amniotic fluid, too. Weird that the test didn't show it, though pH is notoriously tricky sometimes.

Enjoy your babymoon!

I didn't have a gush of fluid with my first son when my water broke--in fact, looking back on it, I'm absolutely certain I was leaking fluid the day before I felt the bigger leaking. I went to the L&D ward and told them I thought my water had broken and could they check it. Got put in an exam room and they did the ph test on the fluid in my underwear. It was negative. But, she could see some dribbling from my girly parts and dipped a qtip in it and did another ph test and it was negative too. Finally, just to see what would happen, she got another ph test and ran it across the dribble and it was an immediate positive.

So, in my opinion, I think that those ph tests need a lot and not a little of fluid to really tell--which is stupid. I wonder if there's a way to do an ultrasound and look for a leak?

Either way, you did the right thing and I would definitely make a complaint to the Patient Administration office about that nurse--make sure it's a formal written complaint so that they can't just pat your hand and say they're sorry! They need to fix how they deal with patients and not treat someone like their pain isn't real.

elektra
10-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Congrats on your DS! My nurses were awesome with both of my births but I admit that I got a little pleasure in seeing how shocked they were with how dilated I was when they checked me, as they also didn't believe how far along in labor I was based their initial assesment of the situation.
Way to power through! Especially after not getting the epidural until so late in the game.

KpbS
10-11-2010, 11:54 PM
So glad everything turned out ok and that you and your DS are here and healthy. Thank goodness! Good for you for standing up to that nurse :cheerleader1: