PDA

View Full Version : Willing to go rogue- need to make my towels smell nice

elektra
10-11-2010, 12:43 PM
So I use Tide Free and Clear as my detergent. And I also don't use strong smelling detergents, cleaners, dryer sheets, etc., because for one, I can't stand strong smells and I also want to use less chemicals in general.
But things have gotta change! My towels do not smell fresh. As I was drying off with a towel this morning straight out of the clean laundry basket, I thought to myself that I would be embarrassed if a guest had to use this towel.
I have run vinegar through the wash, in addition to using the sanitary cycle on occasion.
They still smell a little mildewy and stale (sorry TMI!)

Both the washer and dryer have been serviced within the past year, so I don't think that is the problem.

I suppose I could buy new towels but I would rather not.

I am thinking of trying bleach for the offwhite towels we have.
Oxyclean for the blue ones maybe?

katydid1971
10-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Try the vinegar in the rinse cycle instead of the wash.

Andi98989
10-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Our towels were smelling funky for a long time and I could not get rid of it - I tried vinegar in the wash, in the rinse, etc... Finally I put some bleach in the wash water, let it dilute down with about half the wash water, and then put the towels in (they're light blue). They didn't stain at all and smell fabulous now.

pb&j
10-11-2010, 01:16 PM
A splash of bleach works wonders.

ThreeofUs
10-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Try baking soda (about a cup) in a hot wash followed by a white vinegar rinse.

vtmom
10-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Do you have a front loading he washer? We do and this smell problem happens to us once in a while. It's usually a sign that I need to wipe down the inside of the washer and/or run a cleaning cycle with bleach (and an empty washer) and then leave the washer open overnight to air dry. That usually clears up the problem! HTH

Melbel
10-11-2010, 01:49 PM
I have used this "gentle" bleach on our colored towels to get rid of the occasional mildew smell. It works great!

http://www.clorox.com/products/overview.php?prod_id=ucpb

SnuggleBuggles
10-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Do you use hot water and high heat to dry?

Beth

BabbyO
10-11-2010, 02:15 PM
If you don't like the bleach method, I have a "natural" detergent that I got at a local farmer's market this summer. Burgie's Organics.
http://http://www.burgiesorganics.com/Products.aspx

I was trying different things because DS' eczema was acting up. The seller was telling me that few people have issues with these detergents and they actually have an unscented version. He also mentioned that they really take care of smelly odors from gym clothes, etc. I just used it on my wash cloths because they had that same smell you're talking about. I soaked the wash cloths for a bit then washed them. No smell whatsoever. So far DS hasn't had any issues with the detergent, either. If you decide to get this detergent you just have to remember to shake the bottle to mix up the detergent. I actually wrote "shake me" on the cap so I don't forget.

Good Luck!

mommytoC
10-12-2010, 09:06 AM
I second PPs - increasing your wash temperature should definitely help, as should some dilute bleach. You may also want to try decreasing the amount of detergent you use, or adding additional rinses - as the problem is often a build-up of detergent in clothes. If you're using liquid detergent, you may want to try powder instead; I got this suggestion from the laundry forum on gardenweb, and it made the biggest difference for me (I use Tide Free, too). It seems that the liquid versions don't rinse out quite as well.

Good luck! And definitely consider checking out gardenweb for more (or too much, LOL!) information...

alirebco
10-12-2010, 01:07 PM
A lot of time your detergent can build up on your clothes and towels. Try RLR - which which help get rid of build up. Also some hot washes without detergent might help.

wellyes
10-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Prior to running a hot cycle, I run the hot tap in the sink next to get the water hotter. Helps.

elektra
10-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I am going to try out the ones I haven't already tried.
I blame my DH for part of this, as he often showers twice a day and his towels rarely get all the way dry on the hanging rack.

edurnemk
10-12-2010, 01:33 PM
A lot of time your detergent can build up on your clothes and towels. Try RLR - which which help get rid of build up. Also some hot washes without detergent might help.

I use RLR for stripping cloth diapers, it works wonders to get rid of smells

robinsmommy
10-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I have to REALLY second the liquid detergent problem - my parents use it at their vacation place and their HE stinks when we arrive, and while I'm using powdered detergent while I'm there, it is improving by the time we go. Ugh - I hate that smell.

My HE is by Miele, and the detergent they sell for their HE's is powder (which I don't use - too $$$ - I use Country Save) - we've never had an odor issue, other than the time I left wash in too long....

For something natural to scent things, put a sachet of dried lavendar in the dryer, or in the linen cupboard.

mommytotwo
10-14-2010, 11:23 PM
If you are using a front loading HE washer, try changing to a powder detergent. We now use powdered TIDE HE and the smell is gone. When we used liquid Tide detergent (regular or the Tide Free) the detergent seemed to build up on the towels and never fully rinse away which caused the towels and machine to smell musty.

I still keep hoping that Target will carry a Tide Free HE powder someday.

elektra
10-14-2010, 11:40 PM
I did not even realize there was powdered HE detergent. I think I will definitely try that as we are almost out of our latest bottle of the liquid.
I am so clueless with household stuff!

bubbaray
10-15-2010, 01:01 AM
The best thing for smell in fabric (including towels) is ammonia. 1 cup in your wash cycle will do the trick. That is what restoration companies use if there is a fire. FYI, it also works well on stinky athletic clothing.

I periodically use vinegar (in the rinse cycle), but it does not work as well as ammonia in the wash cycle.

GL!

elektra
10-15-2010, 02:10 AM
The best thing for smell in fabric (including towels) is ammonia. 1 cup in your wash cycle will do the trick. That is what restoration companies use if there is a fire. FYI, it also works well on stinky athletic clothing.

I periodically use vinegar (in the rinse cycle), but it does not work as well as ammonia in the wash cycle.

GL!

So just pour the ammonia in the slot where the detergent goes, and don't use detergent at all (at least for this "freshen up" process)?

I did try vinegar in the rinse cycle last time too.

bubbaray
10-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I use 1c ammonia in the wash (where the clothes go -- I have an old school top loader) along with the detergent. Make sure its regular ammonia, not sudsy ammonia.

infomama
10-15-2010, 11:08 AM
I have the same problem. Going to try the powdered detergent and ammonia route.

AnnieW625
10-15-2010, 11:41 AM
I did not even realize there was powdered HE detergent. I think I will definitely try that as we are almost out of our latest bottle of the liquid.
I am so clueless with household stuff!

Good luck finding a scent free powder HE that works as well as Tide Free. I've tried Country Save, Costco Free, Cheer Free, Seventh Generation, and All. I wish that Tide Free would make an HE powder. Per Consumer Reports Gain HE Powder is suppose to be the best at removing stains and cleaning, but it's not scent free and I am a little leary of trying it because both DD1 and I have sensitive skin and I am trying to be economical and washing DD2s clothes at the same time as ours too. I feel your pain! The Gain HE is also on special this month at Costco.

I have never tried it but a lot people here really like it, but since I haven't had good luck with the other alternatives I am still kind of skeptical Charlie's Soap (http://www.amazon.com/Charlies-Soap-Powder-2-64-Loads/dp/B0018B15FE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287157002&sr=8-1)

infomama
11-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Elektra---did you figure out the magic combo yet? My towels still are not fresh and I am pulling my hair out. I am using up my liquid detergent but I have tried hot water, using less detergent, borax and baking soda. I don't let them sit in the washer and dry them til they are totally dry.
I am thinking bleach next. Ugh..so frustrated.

Fairy
11-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Just seeign this, and I have the very same problem. I take a fresh towel out of the closet or even out of the drier, and honestly, it does not smell good. and I also use abotu what you use. I do, however, use Downy in teh Downey Ball, but it STILL doesn't do the trick with teh towels. I refuse to use a drier sheet. I'm really annoyed. Did you find a good method?

DrSally
11-27-2010, 11:07 PM
My towels don't smell that great either. Maybe I should switch to HE powder. So, tide is the best? Costco powder isn't great? I would use the Gain, but I need it to be free of fragrance for sure.

elektra
11-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Hi everyone. :waving4:
I tried both powder detergent (regular Tide HE) AND bleach and it seems to be working. I can now have guests. :)
The liquid Tide Free, and vinegar just weren't cutting it.
I also bought some ammonia but haven't tried that yet.
I know it's not ideal to use the harsher detergents and bleach but as I said in the title I was ready to venture away from my natural cleaners for this one thing.

infomama
11-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Cool. I didn't want to do the ammonia so I'll try the powder plus bleach. Fingers crossed!

m448
11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
towels are like diapers - prone to buildup and since you use them wet you can tell.

I always use less detergent for my towels (just like my diapers, I use charlie's soap) and also the vinegar. If they're getting dingy or stinky (both signs of buildup) then I do an extra rinse or strip them. But that's not often. I wouldn't use a free and clear detergent on my diapers (I think optical brighteners, not sure) so I wouldn't use them on my towels.