PDA

View Full Version : What's on your Christmas wish list?

charmcitymom
10-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking about DS's Christmas Wish List and I'm running low on ideas. Any help would be appreciated. He'll be 17 months old in December so I figure I should get things for 2 years and above. Any goodadvice would be appreciated. I feel like he already has great things and heaven knows I don't have an infinite amount of space.

Thanks!

wimama
10-11-2010, 03:12 PM
My DS was not quite 20 months old when we got him a Thomas the Train set up for Christmas. We just got him a basic figure 8 set and several engines. My parents bought him the train table. He loved those trains. They have a toddler version of the Thomas the Train sets, but I would just get the regular ones otherwise you would have to buy all new engines later. The engines are different in the "Early Engineer Sets". My DS didn't really put many toys in his mouth by that age, the worst he did with the Trains was launch a few engines in the air and mess up the tracks every day. Don't bother with complicated layouts, you will have to fix the tacks at least once a day. He will still play with his Thomas sometimes at 4 years old. And, the train table has morphed into a Playmobil table. And, at some point it will likely be a Lego table. So, it was all money well spent. I am rather fond of those Thomas engines. They are cute! We are keeping those for future grandkids!:love-retry:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2796650

This might be even easier tracks to rebuild every day and comes with two engines.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2743335

The engines are the most important thing to them at that age.

Other ideas - Little People are also a lot of fun. Does he have some building blocks? Balls? Basket Ball Hoop Set like this? Knobby Melissa & Doug puzzles? More books? Signing Time Videos? Those were DS favorite things at that age.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4353615

SnuggleBuggles
10-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Maybe some Geotrax?

Puzzles are also something to grow into.

A play kitchen, easel, or play house are other fun ideas.

Beth

BabbyO
10-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I think I'm putting Plan Toys on the list...and only Plan Toys.

1. They are very nice...he loves them when ever he goes to Dr offices, etc.
2. They are a bit expensive. This works well (I know it sounds bad but hear me out). People can get him one small item or pool resources with others for a larger item....either way it means less stuff in my house and quality toys.

Ok, one other item. A pass to the local play place. The sitter raves about it, DS loves it, it takes up no space in my house...win, win, win!

charmcitymom
10-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the great ideas but what do I do with the stuff he already has? I guess what I mean is, when do you know if they're done with a toy? So many toys say an age range but do kids really use it that over the entire age range?

We already have a few big toys and full toy bins. We plan on having another so I don't want to get rid of anything really good yet.

Hmmmm.....

christiedavid3
10-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the great ideas but what do I do with the stuff he already has? I guess what I mean is, when do you know if they're done with a toy? So many toys say an age range but do kids really use it that over the entire age range?

We already have a few big toys and full toy bins. We plan on having another so I don't want to get rid of anything really good yet.

Hmmmm.....

We rotate toys here. When new toys come in, we rotate out some of the older ones that he's lost interest in. Often, when I pull those toys out a few months later, he'll regain interest in them again. If he doesn't then he's probably outgrown them, and they move on to storage or to another owner.