PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this skirt--trashy or fashion forward?

DrSally
10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm normally a very conservative dresser, but trying to be a bit more fashion forward. I saw this skirt today, which has a menswear look in the main body (hard to see but black textured look), and lace on the bottom. I though I would wear it with a plain back top. Give me your honest opinion b/c I really am on the fence. Is this cheap looking, too young, etc. or is it fashion forward?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/drsally/th_forsale054.jpg (http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/drsally/?action=view&current=forsale054.jpg)

SnuggleBuggles
10-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd wear it on date night or girls' night out. I wouldn't wear it to work unless it was a really fashion forward environment. I like it though!

Beth

mom2binsd
10-11-2010, 10:36 PM
It would be cute with tights and heels with a black top or jacket/sweater.

DrSally
10-11-2010, 10:36 PM
So, more of a nightlife outfit (not like I have one)?!
I'm not working right now, so that's a mute point for me.

zoestargrove
10-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm sorry. It seems trashy to me, but I prefer classic looks.

mariza
10-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Cute for night out, but for a business or formal environment I would worry that people would think my slip was hanging out!

TwinFoxes
10-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't think it's trashy as in slutty, but I don't think it's fashion forward either. I think the lace with menswear look was a couple of years ago.

I hesitate to answer after your shoe thread ;)

MamaSnoo
10-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I do not care for it. Trashy. But, I always think you have to be careful with lace. JMHO.

DrSally
10-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't think it's trashy as in slutty, but I don't think it's fashion forward either. I think the lace with menswear look was a couple of years ago.

I hesitate to answer after your shoe thread ;)

No, I really do want honest opinions. I haven't bought clothes for so long, I am behind the times. TJMax prob carries prev season clothing as well.

KpbS
10-11-2010, 11:04 PM
I don't care for it. I don't like lace. Couldn't tell you if it was fashion fwd or not :)

TwinFoxes
10-11-2010, 11:10 PM
No, I really do want honest opinions. I haven't bought clothes for so long, I am behind the times. TJMax prob carries prev season clothing as well.

Well, I just googled "menswear with lace" and the top two results were from 2008.

ett
10-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I don't care for it either.

DrSally
10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Well, I just googled "menswear with lace" and the top two results were from 2008.

:ROTFLMAO: Too funny!
I'm thinking this skirt is going back.

kozachka
10-11-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't think it's trashy as in slutty, but I don't think it's fashion forward either.

:yeahthat: I don't care for it. You can be classic and fashionable, no need to sacrifice your style.

DrSally
10-11-2010, 11:16 PM
:yeahthat: I don't care for it. You can be classic and fashionable, no need to sacrifice your style.

Thanks! I love your fashion advice. This is something I normally wouldn't wear--trying to go outside my comfort zone. But, I think this thing is going back. Good thing, anyway, b/c I spent way too much $$. I also walked away with FOUR charcoal gray sweaters in various styles. That is my usual M.O.

TwinFoxes
10-11-2010, 11:22 PM

I totally agree with this. :)

I love giving fashion advice, but trust me, I'm not sporting the trendiest clothes. Those days are gone. But I do like helping my friends pick out clothes, and I like to shop and feel good about what I am wearing. My opinion is just that, MHO. :)

Katigre
10-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Agreeing with others - it's not the right skirt. Lace is a big trend right now but it's going to be in and out quickly - and then the clothes with it will look dowdy instead of fashion-forward.

I really think figuring out your DYT type (http://dressingyourtruth.com/hp/bpbook) would help with picking fashionable clothes (and you can do that for free...poke poke ;)).

DrSally
10-11-2010, 11:27 PM
That's why I came here, to get your opinions! I really didn't know what to think of this skirt. Normally, I'd wear the skirt sans lace in a heartbeat.

DrSally
10-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Agreeing with others - it's not the right skirt. Lace is a big trend right now but it's going to be in and out quickly - and then the clothes with it will look dowdy instead of fashion-forward.

I really think figuring out your DYT type would help with picking fashionable clothes (and you can do that for free...poke poke ;)).

I did check out the website, but haven't done my type yet ;)

s7714
10-11-2010, 11:44 PM
For me it would mainly depend on the length. After that, what it was paired with.

DrSally
10-12-2010, 12:00 AM
For me it would mainly depend on the length. After that, what it was paired with.

It's just above the knee and I would pair it with a plain black sweater or jersey top and black shoes. But, it's already in the bag to go back.