PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE #15: Dress me for family picture?

crl
10-12-2010, 04:03 PM
UPDATE #15: Found a dress!

Anyone want to make suggestions for my outfit for our family picture. This is the whole family right after Christmas.

DD, who will be 9 months old, is wearing last years' Hanna storyteller dress:

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab44/HannaSKU/Fall-Winter-Holiday%202009/?action=view&current=36013_P78av1.jpg

DS, who will be 7, is wearing a coordinating Hanna storyteller vest with a pale blue shirt and brown corduroys.

I was thinking either a blue knit dress for me (but then with brown tights and brown seude wedges???) or brown wool trousers (already own) and a blue shirt? I am 5 ft 7 in tall and 130ish pounds and slightly pear shaped. I have brown hair, blue eyes and pale skin.

Any suggestions? Oh, and I'd rather not go much more than $100 for me.

Thanks!

Catherine

crl
10-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Adding that here is a possible dress for me:

http://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/womens+clothing/womens+dresses/womens+short+dresses/cross+country+dress.do?sortby=ourPicks

I think the a line of the skirt is very good for me. I'm not sure the neckline is great for a flat chest?

What do you think?

Catherine

DrSally
10-12-2010, 04:12 PM
I think the blue dress would look great with your coloring and eyes. Is it going to be full body? Brown tights and wedges would look fine, I think. You could also just do bare legs?

DrSally
10-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Adding that here is a possible dress for me:

http://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/womens+clothing/womens+dresses/womens+short+dresses/cross+country+dress.do?sortby=ourPicks

I think the a line of the skirt is very good for me. I'm not sure the neckline is great for a flat chest?

What do you think?

Catherine

Does that blue go well with the other blues the kids are wearing? I think if you're worried about the chest area, you could wear a nice long pendant for visual interest?

ETA: Oh, I see it does go *really* well. It pulls out the darker blue out of the girl's dress.

citymama
10-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure the neckline is great for a flat chest?

What do you think?

Catherine

You are right about the neckline. I'm not crazy about that dress overall, but the neck in particular.

crl
10-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Not sure if it will end up being a full body picture or not. It's my parents, the four of us and my brother's family of four--my mom will do all the communication, etc with the photographer. Last time we did this ds was about 18 months old and they put me up front, sitting and holding him. I think odds are high I will be holding dd.

Yeah, I really, really like the blue of the Sundance dress and I like the a line skirt, but I'm thinking the neckline probably isn't the best on me.

Anyone seen something similar with a v neck? Not short sleeves because I'll be wearing the dress in Missouri in winter. (Also no bare legs for that reason and because my mother would NOT approve ;)). Or should I look for a blue blouse to go with the brown trousers I already own?

Thanks!

Catherine

crl
10-12-2010, 04:45 PM
What about this brown dress from title 9?

http://www.titlenine.com/product/skorts-skirts-dresses/casual-dresses/162523.do?sortby=ourPicks

Catherine

ETA. Or this one? http://www.titlenine.com/product/skorts-skirts-dresses/casual-dresses/162526.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=3

crl
10-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Thereis this one from JCrew in navy?

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/dresses/day/PRDOVR~29859/29859.jsp

If you like it, what color tights and shoes?

Catherine

JenaW
10-12-2010, 05:04 PM
I REALLY REALLY like the Sundance dress. The model looks fairly flat-chested and I think it looks fine on her. I think the seaming down the front kicks it up a notch. It looks very cute yet still sophisticated...though I am certainly not a fashion guru so take my advice with a grain of salt. The brown Title 9 one is cute too, but I like the Sundance one a LOT better.

indigo99
10-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I love the color of the sundance dress that you posted. You absolutely want a solid color that is darker or lighter than what the kids are wearing since they'll probably be in front of you. What's the return policy on that? Maybe you should just get it and see what you think about the fit since you have time.

In all honesty though, you want people to look at the photo and just think that you look nice without really noticing what you're actually wearing too much (which is why I think that the neckline, while a little plain, would be fine).

BTW, I love DD's dress.

ETA: I think that a cable-knit sweater in cream would look really nice with that too... in case you have a husband to dress.

crl
10-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! DH will dress himself, but cheerfully stays within my chosen color scheme. Cream probably would be great for him, because ds will likely end up standing in front of him.

So, if you like the Sundance dress, brown tights and brown suede wedges?

Catherine

DrSally
10-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Just flipping through the LE catalog, and there are a few knit dresses in various blues:

The waist seems a bit high on this one
http://www.landsend.com/pp/LongSleeveNecessaryKnitTrapuntoDress-80560_212812_59.html?cm_mmc=PriceGrabber-_-null-_-FP-_-data_feed

They have a cute cable sweater dress, but it's not coming up online (vneck, cables on top, smooth knit on bottom).

Another option, slightly different neckline
http://www.landsend.com/pp/OriginalMerinoCasedNeckSweaterDress~213702_59.html ?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::DSP&CM_MERCH=search-_-case+neck+sweater+dress&origin=search

crl
10-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks! They both look a little loose through the middle for me, I think.

Catherine

crl
10-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Well, dh likes the Sundance dress. He tends towards brutally honest and he used to be a professional photographer, so I weigh his opinion pretty heavily. ;). Their return policy is good, unconditional guarantee, no time limit, refund minus the cost of shipping. So I'm not out too much money if it just doesn't work in person. . . .

Still thinking about it.

Thanks!
Catherine

crl
10-19-2010, 10:01 PM
I found a great dress at Nordstrom Rack today. I've looked but can't find it online to show you all. It is a Max Studio sweater dress in a gorgeous blue, much like the Sundance dress I linked. It has a skinny belt of the same knit to shape the waist a bit and a very flattering cowl neck. DD's story teller dress came today and the blues look perfect together.

Best of all, the dress was under $50!

(Okay, maybe best of all was dh's reaction, he says it is very flattering--that's my family board friendly translation of his actual comments).

I found brown tights at Marshalls and already have brown suede wedges so I'm set! I am really pleased, I think the outfit looks good, works well for the family picture and is up-to-date without being trendy.

Thank you all so much for your input!
Catherine

DrSally
10-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I found a great dress at Nordstrom Rack today. I've looked but can't find it online to show you all. It is a Max Studio sweater dress in a gorgeous blue, much like the Sundance dress I linked. It has a skinny belt of the same knit to shape the waist a bit and a very flattering cowl neck. DD's story teller dress came today and the blues look perfect together.

Best of all, the dress was under $50!

(Okay, maybe best of all was dh's reaction, he says it is very flattering--that's my family board friendly translation of his actual comments).

I found brown tights at Marshalls and already have brown suede wedges so I'm set! I am really pleased, I think the outfit looks good, works well for the family picture and is up-to-date without being trendy.

Thank you all so much for your input!
Catherine

Awesome :thumbsup: I think I may know the dress you're talking about. I :heartbeat:NR
Great price too!!

citymama
10-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Sounds awesome! Did you go to the Nordie's Rack in SOMA?

ett
10-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Awesome :thumbsup: I think I may know the dress you're talking about. I :heartbeat:NR
Great price too!!

I think I know the dress too because I was looking at it last week. :)

crl
10-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Sounds awesome! Did you go to the Nordie's Rack in SOMA?

Nope, the one at Colma. Had another errand in Miraloma first, plus I hate going to SOMA from the Presidio. Is the one at SOMA bigger? I was surprised how small the one in Colma is--I'm used to the one in Potomac Mills in VA which is huge.

Catherine