PDA

View Full Version : What quick healthy snacks do you eat?

BigDog
10-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Looking for ideas for some healthy snacks that I can munch on during the day. They need to be quick prep since I spend most of my day nursing a newborn. I find myself grabbing handfuls of goldfish crackers, chips, pretzels, etc. By the end of the day I feel like I ate junk all day - which is mostly true! What do you eat?

DrSally
10-12-2010, 04:21 PM
snapcrisp peas
Tabouli on an unsalted, organic tortilla chip(s)
TJ's yogurt stars

Also, just taking the time to eat something real will help you feel more satisfied, even if it's an egg sandwhich, KWIM? I also have soup in the fridge right now, so I can just heat it up when I want it. I'll also have a piece of ham and cheese on a mini hawiiaan bun, quick and very satisfying.

zoestargrove
10-12-2010, 04:56 PM
cheesesticks
carrot, celery, pepper slices dipped in hummus
peanut butter on apple slices
nuts (cashews, almonds, pistachios, macadamia)
lara bars/luna bars type pre-packaged snack
soup is a great snack to have on hand and reheat
grill up some chicken (or slice up a rottiserrie chicken)
make a quick wrap or just eat the chicken slices cold.
yogurt

infomama
10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I try not to snack. Instead I plan out 5 'meals'.

Meal 1 (round 5:45am)-cereal, coffee
Meal 2-(round 9am) 2 egg whites, banana (or yogurt), water
Meal 3-(round 1230-1) 'lunch' (sandwich, salad, whatever leftovers I bring from home), water
Meal 4-(round 3)since this is when my sweet tooth kicks into overdrive so I usually have a s'mores protein bar (pure protein makes a good one) and coffee or a Dt.Coke
Meal 5- (round 7) dinner, water (sometimes wine or a lt. beer)
If I have to have something before bed it's usually a couple of squares of really sharp cheddar cheese. Something that is interesting to my palate but that I won't gorge on.

I take a huge cooler to work packed with food. May look silly but I am still loosing weight so what do I care what people think about my giant food bag.

DrSally
10-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I try not to snack. Instead I plan out 5 'meals'.

Meal 1 (round 5:45am)-cereal, coffee
Meal 2-(round 9am) 2 egg whites, banana (or yogurt), water
Meal 3-(round 1230-1) 'lunch' (sandwich, salad, whatever leftovers I bring from home), water
Meal 4-(round 3)since this is when my sweet tooth kicks into overdrive so I usually have a s'mores protein bar (pure protein makes a good one) and coffee or a Dt.Coke
Meal 5- (round 7) dinner, water (sometimes wine or a lt. beer)
If I have to have something before bed it's usually a couple of squares of really sharp cheddar cheese. Something that is interesting to my palate but that I won't gorge on.

I take a huge cooler to work packed with food. May look silly but I am still loosing weight so what do I care what people think about my giant food bag.

That sounds like an awesome plan. Sounds like you've really tailored your eating to reduce really hungry periods. I like the idea of an evening snack being something that you won't gorge on.

wellyes
10-12-2010, 05:46 PM
I make a big pot of Alton Brown's steel cut oats, stir in raisins & brown sugar, then seperate it into 4-5 bowls. Reheat for 1.5 minutes when you need a really healthy, wholesome snack-meal.

Pepper
10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
low-fat Triscuits (or the Trader Joe's equivalent) with hummous; apples or pears with a little brie or blue cheese; brown rice with a fried egg, kimchee, and roasted seaweed. OK, the last one is a little more complicated, but I make the rice ahead of time and reheat it in the microwave while the egg is cooking. It makes an awesome b-fast, especially after the 4yo is off to school and it's just me and the 18-mo old for a few hours.

Oh, homemade granola with some Greek-style yogurt and fruit is good, too.

mousemom
10-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I tend to do a lot of nuts & dried fruit - so a handful almonds and a couple of dried apricots or some trailmix (usually with some m&m's thrown in to make it seem more exciting). If I have a little more time, I also like apples with peanut butter and celery with cream cheese.

Twoboos
10-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Lately I've been doing cheese/triscuts, a kashi bar, or a homemade muffin. When I make the muffins I usually add in a lot of good for you stuff, use wheat flour, flax, etc. Morning glory muffins have a TON of good stuff in them (carrots, raisins, apples, nuts, coconut).

When I was nursing it was a lot of toasted cheese on whole grain bread, breakfast bars, and pb sandwiches.

BigDog
10-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Lately I've been doing cheese/triscuts, a kashi bar, or a homemade muffin. When I make the muffins I usually add in a lot of good for you stuff, use wheat flour, flax, etc. Morning glory muffins have a TON of good stuff in them (carrots, raisins, apples, nuts, coconut).

When I was nursing it was a lot of toasted cheese on whole grain bread, breakfast bars, and pb sandwiches.

Twoboos - what are Morning Glory muffins? Do you have a recipe or is it a store-bought product? Thanks to everyone for all the great snack suggestions!

Twoboos
10-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Twoboos - what are Morning Glory muffins? Do you have a recipe or is it a store-bought product? Thanks to everyone for all the great snack suggestions!

These are the ones I make. DD2 LOVES them!! She is the Queen of Muffins, LOL. I made some changes from the original recipe which can be found here:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Morning-Glory-Muffins/Detail.aspx

ETA: Makes 12
Ingredients

1 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Whole Wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 tblspns ground flax
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1 apple - peeled, cored and shredded
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.
-In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. -Stir in the carrot, raisins, nuts, coconut, and apple.
-In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil, and vanilla. Stir egg mixture into the carrot/flour mixture, just until moistened. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
-Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

lovebebes
10-14-2010, 11:32 AM
pita bread and hummus and celery sticks
cheese and grapes
fresh fruit
fresh veggies (sliced sweet pepper and cucumber for example)
hardboiled eggs (premake and keep in fridge-grab as needed)
toast with cream cheese

and i love to add a splash of non sweetened cranberry juice (the really sour kind with no added sugar) to my drinking water. it gives it a bit of flavor and is really good for you.