PDA

View Full Version : quick nurser?

annaelise
10-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone!

I have an 8 day old baby girl and (my first) and I have a question for all those experience breastfeeding moms out there.

At a typical feeding, she latches on eagerly and sucks vigorously for about 10 minutes then she sucks gently and intermittently for maybe 5 more minutes before pulling herself off. Then she is impossible to wake for the next side. I have tried undressing her, changing her diaper, putting my hand on a cold glass and then touching her with my cold hands, tapping her feet and other things I read can help rouse a sleepy baby to eat. Nothing works! After 15 minutes at one breast she is out like a light.

My question is - do you think this is enough for my particular baby? She seems satisfied - she goes about 2 or 2.5 hours between feedings. She has the right number of wet and dirty diapers...am I worrying about nothing? Is it possible that she is just a quick nurser and gets everything she needs from that 10-15 minutes at one breast? I am just concerned number one that she is getting enough to eat and number two that she is sucking at the breast long enough to sustain a good milk supply for me?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!! I am new at this!

Thanks everyone!

Aishe
10-12-2010, 05:35 PM
It sounds like you're doing great to me. Both my kids nursed exactly like that as newborns and if anything I had an oversupply problem. If she seems satisfied, is producing dirty diapers, and is gaining weight I don't think you have anything to worry about. My only suggestion is to be vigilant about making sure you are alternating breasts. This was easy to do during the day, but at night I'd get confused in my sleep haze. I ended up with mastitis a few times because I'd get engorged on the neglected side. Congrats on your new baby!

wellyes
10-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Mine were / are like that - it's fine. Congratulations!

brittone2
10-12-2010, 06:15 PM
DS1 was like that. He would nurse in like 5 mins. I tried keeping him awake, etc, and nothing worked. I would keep him awake sometimes and he'd just puke because he was overfull. As a new mom I was prepared for at least 20 mins per side and was freaking out over his quick nursing. I had oversupply/overactive letdown (didn't know it at first) and he was just able to tank up quickly. I drove myself nuts for a few weeks, but thankfully my midwife told me to just let it go and not worry about it as DS1 was gaining like a horse.

As long as baby continues to gain weight well, it can be totally normal.

Melanie
10-12-2010, 06:46 PM
If she keeps growing then I would say 'yes' and count your blessings! :)

My first nursed for nearly 45 minutes each time. Needless to say I became well-acquainted with books and TV (before I finally figured out how to NAK!) in those days. It seemed like all I did all day long was nurse! My second was more like yours. It was a little unsettling at first, but I got used to it and realized how much more time I had in life! I think it's in Dr. Sears' book he lists the various "nursing personalities," which also made me feel a little better.

It wasn't until Dc were older that I could successfully switch sides and have them continue to nurse. They most often nursed to sleep when tiny. My LC said it wasn't a bad thing, they were getting more of the hindmilk that way anyhow.

catsnkid
10-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I had one of those! The only thing you can do is that when you notice her start to get sleepy, stroke her cheek. I had a ton of milk to start too, and would sometimes pump the other side for comfort purposes and to start my frozen stash.

annaelise
10-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Thank you so much everyone! That is so reassuring to hear! I called the hospital lactation consultant today and she echoed what you all said :) She also said to make sure baby is getting enough hindmilk (because I had mentioned very watery bms) to pump for a few minutes before putting baby on.

Thanks again everyone!

:)