PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for first finger foods

C&C's mom
10-12-2010, 09:40 PM
My DD is about 7 mos old and dr. wants her to start trying dome finger foods that shae can mash up easily. She already eats gerber puffs. Dr. said rice smushed up and noodles. any suggestions?

dec756
10-13-2010, 07:02 AM
banana pear shredded cheese whole grain wheat bread

Maxlee
10-13-2010, 08:32 AM
avocado

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/avocadobabyfoodrecipes.html

sunshine873
10-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Roasted sweet potato, steamed carrots, banana. One of my DDs first foods was broccoli - steamed very soft. She'd hold it like a tree & eat the ends.

wendibird22
10-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Mum mums (rice rusks), cheerios, cooked green beans, well cooked matchstick carrots.

mikala
10-13-2010, 10:03 AM
He really liked little quartered spears of banana, avocado slices, soft baked sweet potato coins, etc.

Wholesome babyfood is great and Smitten Kitchen also has some great stuff on her blog.

http://smittenkitchen.com/baby/2010/09/finger-foods/#more-106

DebbieJ
10-13-2010, 10:07 AM
any soft ripe fruit--bananas, pears, watermelon, peaches, plums, nectarines.

If they are too slippery you can roll them in crushed cherrios first.

lhafer
10-13-2010, 10:23 AM

Awesome idea! Would have never thought of this!:thumbsup:

BabbyO
10-13-2010, 11:27 AM
We started with mashed avocado on toast fingers. Mashed potatoes were also a favorite or sweet potatoes, cooked carrots....so many things. DS didn't like sweet things at first (fruit), so cooked/steamed veggies were our friend. Oh, broccoli...also a big hit at first.

C&C's mom
10-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Wow! Thanks for the ideas! I am just scared that she will choke on the finger foods! I am just being a scared mom!

JBaxter
10-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Or the left over rice cereal that my boys would never eat.

BabbyO
10-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow! Thanks for the ideas! I am just scared that she will choke on the finger foods! I am just being a scared mom!

FWIW Gill Rapley's book Baby Led Weaning really put me at ease with the whole choking thing and introducing solid foods in general. We ended up doing the BLW thing full blown because DS wasn't allowed purees/solids until 6 mo old due to his allergies. But either way, her info on choking was totally enlightening to me.

The webpage has quite a bit of info, too. http://babyledweaning.com/

If you're like me and can't wait to get your hands on the book, try the local library. Ours had it. Its a quick read. I think I finished it in a couple days. I hit the important chapters (reading to my DH in the car) during one Saturday of errands.

Good Luck!

mikala
10-14-2010, 10:34 AM

I printed out infant choking instructions and read through them with my husband then kept them on the fridge. I also made extra sure to sit beside DS while he was eating finger foods instead of continuing to prepare dinner, etc.

He went through a "chipmunk" phase where he would try to pack everything in front of him in mouth all at once so we did a lot of handing him one tiny piece at a time.

Once you've introduced a lot of foods you'll realize almost any adult food can be a finger food if you cook it right and cut it up. We use a pizza cutter all the time to make little strips of things.

Wondermom
10-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieJ

Awesome idea! Would have never thought of this!

:yeahthat:

C&C's mom
10-14-2010, 04:28 PM
pizza cutter is a great idea!