PDA

View Full Version : Really can't decide about Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

boolady
10-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I really can't decide what to do about this. I have read the good, the bad, the ugly about this, but I'm not exactly sure whether we should go or not. DD will be turning 4 while we're there, so we already have reservations for the whole princess hoopla on the day of her birthday, as well as one other character meal and an Epcot reservation. We really don't want to overbook ourselves...we all need some relaxing time, too.

I don't know why I'm struggling with this decision so much. I think it's because deep down, I'd prefer not to spend the money, but DH thinks it sounds cool. I am afraid DD will be toast by the time it starts, though we could try and go on a day that we're not going to a park and are just going to do the pool and playground at our hotel.

I'd really appreciate if you could give me your best pro/con arguments.

WatchingThemGrow
10-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't know much about it, but last year, we were there just pool hopping/doing DTD, etc. When our DC were getting off buses and heading to the room for pj's, people were coming out of their rooms, boarding the buses to go there. It seemed SO far away from our reality with little ones that I never even considered doing it - and not for a good many years at that.

Part of me thinks you'd all be trashed the next day. Is that worth it?

Momof3Labs
10-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I think that it would mean taking it easy the day of the party, and moving slow the day after. So losing almost two days for one party. My kids stay up later at WDW but not THAT late (and factor in the travel time back to your hotel afterwards). We haven't done that (or the Christmas Party) yet and haven't felt bad about missing them.

boolady
10-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks, ladies. This is why I do not think that going is the best choice for us. DH, with all good intentions, has a habit of wanting to do the most we possibly can on vacation, but given the cost and the potential for mucking up two days, I really think we should pass.

TwinFoxes
10-13-2010, 04:10 PM
When we were there someone offered us free tix...because they didn't want to stay. It was our first full day, and the girls were still on their sleeping schedule. The girls go to sleep at 7, which is when the party starts. I thanked them but turned it down. I just couldn't see them lasting more than an hour and then melting down. DH thinks I should have said yes, but it just seems like it would have been more fun for DH and me than for DDs.

LarsMal
10-13-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't have any experience with it, but we decided not to go. If it wasn't extra, maybe, but I don't want to spend the money on it and risk that "not so scary" is still too scary for my gang!! We already have at least two or three late nights planned. I think it looks fun, but not worth the price, IMO.

We'll also be home in time for regular T-o-T. Maybe if we were there on Halloween I'd consider it.

clc053103
10-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I heard not to scary could be scary- headless horseman sort of stuff. I couldn't justify spending the money. DS and his cousins aren't into costumes, and the last thing they need is more candy!

boolady
10-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks again, everyone. You're making me feel like we'll be making the right decision if we give it a pass, and Julie, as you point out, we will be home for Halloween itself, so DD will get to do regular trick or treating in our neighborhood.

lhafer
10-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I am not sure I would do the Halloween one, especially with young ones. I would be afraid that they would be afraid and not enjoy it.

We are going right after Thanksgiving, and I have decided to go ahead and do the Christmas Party. I know it will be a late night, but I figure what the heck. Even if DDs (4.5 years old and 9 month old) conk out - I know DH and I will have a great time. We are going on our 2nd day there, and will be there a total of 10 days, so we will have to make it up.

If we were able to go to Disney frequently (even once a year or 2), then I would probably wait. But we don't plan on going back for another 5 years or so at the earliest.

Moneypenny
10-14-2010, 09:57 AM
We are going to give it a try this year, so I'll let everyone know how it goes! We are doing it in lieu of character dining since I'm still kind of shaking my head over spending $150 on a bad buffet breakfast (twice!) last year.

DD is 6 and finally a little more flexible with her sleep schedule and we have prepped her that there might be scary costumes and whatnot. We also have an easy day planned for the day of and the day after, so I hope the sleep thing will be alright.

boolady
10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Definitely report back on how it goes! That would be great.

cheri
10-14-2010, 05:39 PM
We're going to do MNSSHP, too. We may regret it, but I'm not sure if/when we'll be back to Disney. Mine are 2 and 4, and I'll report back with that perspective.

This trip is in the middle of a cross-country move for us (we leave for Disney when the movers leave with our stuff, then meet them at the new home a week later), so I think I'm more prone to going overboard with this trip. Let's call it stress... :)

bnme
10-14-2010, 07:03 PM
We've done the Xmas party with a 4 month old and 3yo - and then again when they were 3.5yo & 5yo. We did the Halloween party when they were 5 & almost 7. I love the parties and think they are totally worth it, even though we usually leave by 10ish. Maybe earlier the first time. I think the parade itself is just about worth the admission price. So if you love the parades in general then you will love the party.

We get to the park around 4pm (the earliest you can get in on your ticket), enjoy the special decorations which have already started to appear, ride a few rides (in our experience the crowds have been low) and eat a quick dinner. We do the first parade then have a little while to tour before the fireworks. We usually leave pretty soon after the fireworks. For the Halloween party we loved the Villain show, seeing characters in their costumes, and stopping by the dance parties. The toting was fun for the kids although really a time waster.

But all in all, I think I would only go with a 4yo if it is something you and DH really want to see and and you think she would like at least the parade. And if you would not feel cheated by leaving at 10pm. Do you LOVE Disney? Halloween? We always get regular tickets (non-hoppers) and I always pause and think maybe we should spend the $50ish for hoppers rather then the party tickets, but I really love the parties.

My kids did not find it scary at all but they don't scare easily.

egoldber
10-15-2010, 07:34 AM
But all in all, I think I would only go with a 4yo if it is something you and DH really want to see and and you think she would like at least the parade.

I agree. We went 2 years ago when older DD was 7. Any younger and she would not have really enjoyed it. It would have been too late and too much. Younger DD was 2 and got nothing out of it. FWIW, the scariest "costumes" were the Disney Villains themselves. I am pretty sure they don't allow bloody, horror type costumes for the MNSSHP.

And I had heard how great the parade was, and I was really disappointed. :shrug But there was also a technical glitch during the parade when we saw it, so I know that marred my enjoyment somewhat.

These glitches are little more common IME with the nighttime parades with lights. Last year we were watching Spectromagic when a float broke down right in front of us. It was actually kind of cool though. They sent out a technician in a little cart and he repaired the float right in front of us. When he fixed it, everybody cheered. :bighand: Then the parade went on.

boolady
10-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I told DH about everyone's comments and he seems to get it now that it's probably a bit too much for DD, particularly given what it's going to cost for the three of us. I'm so excited...we're just a few days away from leaving.

WatchingThemGrow
10-15-2010, 02:03 PM
I just have to share this...

DH said last year, "I don't get it. A guy is already dressed up as a mouse. Why does he have to be a pirate mouse with an eyepatch and a peg leg? I mean, he's already a mouse for heaven's sake." lol

Enjoy your trip, and enjoy watching all the costumed older partygoers board the buses as you head back to your room!

boolady
10-15-2010, 02:20 PM
DH said last year, "I don't get it. A guy is already dressed up as a mouse. Why does he have to be a pirate mouse with an eyepatch and a peg leg? I mean, he's already a mouse for heaven's sake."

That's hysterical. I never thought of it that way, but he's right. Thanks for the laugh.

Sillygirl
10-16-2010, 10:58 AM
We got tickets for the party (we went to WDW a few weeks ago.) On the day of the party, Alex (3 1/2) refused to nap. So DH and Alex stayed at the hotel room because we knew he would be too tired. Jonathan (almost 6) and I went and we had a terrific time! The parade is cool, not scary, adn the fireworks show is great. Then the park gets really empty after the fireworks. We rode every ride in Tomorrowland with no wait - we did Buzz Lightyear three times in a row, and then stood in line to meet Buzz. We did Astro Orbiter, Peter Pan, and rested a little on the train. Then we did the candy walk and got a bunch of candy. We stayed until midnight and really it was one of my favorite things on the trip.

That said, I think four is a little too young.

cheri
10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Ok...back to report on taking a 2 yo and a 4 yo to MNSSHP. We went last night and had a blast. The girls wore their princess costumes and enjoyed ToTing. We did the free facepainting, met the princess with their princes (these are about the only character pictures in which DD2 is smiling---she seems to like the princes a lot), watched the parade, rode several rides, and generally had a great time.

We left during the second parade (about 11:20) and had no big crowds on the monorail or trams. We were back at our resort before midnight, and slept late this morning.

My kids are used to occasionally staying up to 10:30 or so, so it wasn't quite as late a night as it might have been, and they did take naps during the afternoon, so other moms' mileage may vary, but it was a great experience for us.

TwinFoxes
10-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Ok...back to report on taking a 2 yo and a 4 yo to MNSSHP. We went last night and had a blast. The girls wore their princess costumes and enjoyed ToTing. We did the free facepainting, met the princess with their princes (these are about the only character pictures in which DD2 is smiling---she seems to like the princes a lot), watched the parade, rode several rides, and generally had a great time.

We left during the second parade (about 11:20) and had no big crowds on the monorail or trams. We were back at our resort before midnight, and slept late this morning.

My kids are used to occasionally staying up to 10:30 or so, so it wasn't quite as late a night as it might have been, and they did take naps during the afternoon, so other moms' mileage may vary, but it was a great experience for us.

So glad you had fun!

cheri
10-26-2010, 05:26 PM
So glad you had fun!

Thanks! DD2 did end up being a bit of a mess yesterday, and our day was definitely different than our usual days, but it still was fun :)

Moneypenny
11-01-2010, 12:50 PM
This is too late to help anyone this year, but here is our report. We went Tuesday, 10/26 and were severely underwhelmed. The best part was getting in at 4 pm. Between 4 and 7 we walked on lots of rides and ate dinner. Once 7 pm hit, the place was packed, like wall to wall people. The trick or treat lines took forever to get through and it was mostly crap candy. The lines for the characters were too long to bother with. We went to the first parade and had to get a seat by about 7:15. The parade was nothing compared to spectro and the fireworks were also not as neat as Wishes. We were basically trapped on Main Street from 7:15 to 10:00, so that was a little boring.

After the fireworks we did a dance party with Woody and Jesse which was the only bright spot in the evening. Watching my daughter do the electric slide with Woody was very entertaining, but even that was very busy and hectic.

We had a down day planned for the next day (just Downtown Disney and the resort) so staying up late wasn't a problem, it just wasn't really any fun. There wasn't anything scary about it, so sensitive DD was fine from that angle.