PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a bridesmaid dress

edurnemk
10-13-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm going to be a bridesmaid in my BFF's wedding in March. She chose the fabric and is letting each bridesmaid have her dress made in whatever style we each prefer. (I did the same thing for my wedding, I wanted them all to have dresses they loved and could use again for other events).

I know I have a lot of time before the wedding, but I have to purchase the fabric now, and I need a general idea of the style of dress I want so I know how much fabric to buy. The fabric is purple gauze or organza type. I haven't seen it, she told me over the phone which she chose and I need to go to the store to get it. She also said it's available in silk (pricey!) and polyester. The only constraint is that the dress has to be at least knee length or longer. The wedding will take place at noon at an Hacienda.

I like modern and original designs, but nothing too crazy. Oh, also, we're TTC so I may be pregnant by then, up to 5 months if we're successfull this month. With DS I didn't show until the 6th month so I have no idea how it'll be this time around.

So hit me with your ideas!

boolady
10-13-2010, 01:40 PM
What about one of the styles from Ann Taylor's weddings/events collection? Could you have someone copy one of those? There are lots that are simple and pretty, and a few look like they would work with a baby belly, if need be. I'm sure they're not as short on the average person as on the models, and it doesn't matter anyway, if you're having yours custom made.

http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/category.jsp?N=1200034&pCategoryId=3942&categoryId=229&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_229&gridSize=sm&showAll=true

crl
10-13-2010, 04:32 PM
I had a very similar thought. What about checking the JCrew styles for one that would accommodate baby belly and you like and see about having it copied?

Catherine

ETA maybe this one, made longer?

http://www.jcrew.com/wedding/Wedding_Bridesmaid/dresses/silkchiffon/PRDOVR~22512/22512.jsp