PDA

View Full Version : Updated w/ new ? #11; so what is your favorite way to store home made baby food?

AnnieW625
10-13-2010, 05:31 PM
How do you store your home made baby food?

I have made carrots, sweet potatoes, and mixed vegetables so far. I used a Braun hand blender to puree, and then put them in the 4 oz. Gladware containers. Is this completely the wrong way to do this? I work outside the home and DD2 goes to daycare so I was thinking the Gladware containers would be easier than freezing them in separate 1 oz. cubes. DD2 can easily eat 4 oz. of food at a sitting.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

I have so far found this chart (http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/baby-food-freezing-chart.htm) helpful in what to freeze, and what not to freeze. I want to freeze most of the stuff because I'll make it on weekends so if it can't be frozen well I'll most likely still buy a few jarred items for variety if I want fresh because I honest can't see the benefit of chopping things up, putting them in the freezer, and then pureeing them at meal time (while trying to feed a toddler who needs to also be in bed by 7:30, kwim?).

truly scrumptious
10-13-2010, 06:26 PM
I used the icecube method by putting the purees into an icetray. I like that because it eventually gives you the option of mixing different foods (e.g. two cubes of carrots and two cubes of peas) to create combination meals.

In fact, I still use that technique for freezing pasta sauce to quickly defrost a couple of cubes for my two-year-old's dinner.

alexsmommy
10-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Icecube trays.

Sweetum
10-13-2010, 06:59 PM
I bought 2 of the kidco trays - because they are BPA free and have lids. Once frozen (overnight) I would transfer the cubes to a ziploc bag and put them back in the freezer, thus freeing up my trays. I would take out one/two (or whatever he was eating) cubes the night before and thaw in the refrig, and if I forgot, MIL would just warm them up in the baby food warmer till they melted.

HonoluluMom
10-13-2010, 07:04 PM
When DD was smaller, I used ice cube trays. As she got older and ate more, I used these food cubes.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Cubes-Contains-Phthalates-Bisphenol/dp/B0027DYWS4/ref=pd_sbs_ba_2

Pepper
10-13-2010, 09:27 PM
I used ice cube trays, too, for the fruit and veggie purees. For porridge (rice, oatmeal, etc) I got a silicone muffin baking set - not the ones that are all attached in a pan, but individual muffin "cups" made of silicone. They hold about 1/3 cup which was perfect for DS1's breakfast. Fill 'em with the cooked porridge, put on a tray to freeze, and then pop out the "hockey pucks" into a zip-top freezer bag.

Now that DS1 is a bit older I use them to compartmentalize his lunchbox:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-415-9400-Silicone-3-Inch-Reusable/dp/B000FPX4GC

citymama
10-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Icecube trays with covers. We bought the Kidco kind I think.

Is your DD already on solids? How does she like them?

tmahanes
10-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I use ice cube trays and foodsaver bags so they last longer in the freezer

Uno-Mom
10-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Cubes. They're kind of small for her now, so we just defrost several. Makes it easy to make mixed veggie dishes.

I have a new passion for wholesomebabyfood.com !

minandjam
10-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I am interested in making my own baby food too. Does anyone have a good resource/cookbook/idea book that I can buy to refer to now.....also what kind of blender do you suggest?

AnnieW625
10-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Minandjam-- I am currently just using a Braun hand blender, but I have only made three batches of purees. I also have a Kidco Food Mill. I liked the Kidco Food grinder a lot especially once DD1 started eating more heartier foods like meat. It made ground beef even smaller and more fine. I think I may have used it for chicken too.

Citymama, yes we started solids already and DD2 took very well to them, much faster than DD1 did. I think she was just ready

Has anyone tried the Beaba food portion trays? I have a small upright freezer, and a small freezer in the house so space is limited. They seem to get consistent reviews vs. some of the food try systems on Amazon, and Williams Sonoma.