PDA

View Full Version : Baby monitor for two rooms/kids?

stuntmole
10-14-2010, 11:09 AM
We're expecting a second child next spring, and with an 18 mo DD, were looking for a monitor than can monitor two rooms into one receiver (instead of carrying around two separate receivers at night). Haven't seen anything like this on the internet sites, but we can't be the first people ever to think of this.

Any ideas?

Penny's Pappa
10-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I wonder if you could get two monitors, set them to the same channel, and just have them overlap? I wonder if there would be any significant interference?

Another thought is to get 2 monitors, set them to 2 different channels and just switch the receiver from one channel to the other when you want to check up on the kids. 'Course you can't monitor both kids simultaneously but it's a thought.

Maybe ask around on the multiples forum or other twins sites around the Interwebs. They might have some insights.

HTH

sduemmler
10-14-2010, 02:23 PM
We had a video monitor (Mobi) that had the ability to monitor off 2 cameras, but what I didn't like is that you had to manually switch it from one to the other, which means while you are monitoring one room, you would not hear anything from the other. There was also interference on the room farther from ours.

I know I looked into the kind of monitor you're describing and can't remember whether there was nothing available or nothing good, but what I settled on was selecting two different monitors (based on some reviews on this board--Sony and a FP) that didn't interfere with one another, and so I have two receivers. I didn't like the idea that one room would be blocked by a two room monitor. My kids are older now, and what I like now is that I can set them at different volumes and at different sensitivities, and can quickly tell even while asleep which kids is making noise and know whether I need to intervene or not.

Hope that helps. I did get all my info from searching these forums...

Wondermom
10-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I previously posted in another threat about our Uniden video monitor that WILL monitor multiple rooms--but it's reliability is awful. (see below for post and link to thread). After searching on this board, I finally decided there was no better alternative, and ended up with 2 monitors. We got the Sony Baby Call, and I'm very happy. Yes, we have 2 receivers, but reception is good, and that's what counts.

I can tell you to AVOID the Uniden http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-UDW1000.../ref=pd_cp_p_2

It can be set up for up to 4 cameras/rooms, and will scan between them--WITH audio for 5, 10, 15 or 20-second intervals. There's another mode where it has up to 4 rooms on the screen at one time, but video only, no audio. We have it set up for 2 cameras/rooms. BUT it's RIDICUOUS how the signal drops on this. One day we'll be able to pick it up in our bedroom, the next day, NOTHING, and we end up leaving it plugged in the kitchen or the closest location to our bedroom where we can get a signal and then sleep with the door open so we can hear it. We tend to always get a signal in the kitchen, so we do use it there most of the time in the evenings, but for sleeping at night, this thing is horrible for us and works 1 out of every 6 days or so there. Maybe our bedroom is just too far away? But then that's the whole reason we need the monitor, because we can't hear the kids from our room at night.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=364295&highlight=video+monitor

BabbyO
10-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Here's your million dollar idea. Now get out there an market it to the monitor companies! :)

dukie41181
10-14-2010, 05:07 PM
I was searching for the sme thing and found a now discontinued monitor that monitors 2 room simultaneously. Its the Graco iMonitor model number 2794DIG. I had to get mine used on eBay. I haven't set it up yet but plan to do so this weekend.it had decent reviews from what I was able to find though.

marymoo86
10-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I think the Lorex Snap that was on Amazon lightening deal the other day can handle multiple. Not cheap though

Swimfreak78
10-16-2010, 02:38 PM
We got a cordless phone with an intercom system and just set it to monitor DS room instead of using a traditional baby monitor.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-29-2010, 12:49 AM
:BUMP:

bumping this thread, as i would like to get a video monitor that can monitor 2 rooms/kids.

lorex snap was mentioned and just saw this lorex one at Costco (with two cameras) for $150
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11605669&search=lorex+monitor&Mo=7&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=lorex+monitor&Ntt=lorex+monitor&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1#BVRRWidgetID

but reviews are mixed, so i don't know. also, we have bad experience with digital monitors in our house due to interference

we have the sony baby call which we love to pieces, but would like a video monitor now that we'll have two kids ..would love the ability to check on/monitor baby and not have to get up and go to baby's room everytime i hear something

Penny's Pappa
12-29-2010, 02:27 AM
Good bump.

Since I posted back in October, we got our hands on a Summer Infant Slim&Secure:

http://www.summerinfant.com/Products/Monitoring/Video-Monitors/Slim-Secure-Handheld-Color-Video-Monitor--Silver.aspx

It sounds like it might be just what the OP is asking for. It'll monitor up to 4 cameras from one hand-held monitor. You can manually switch between cameras, or you can set it to cycle from one to the next.

Video-wise I don't really have anything else to compare it to, but I think the video quality --during both night and day--is VERY good. Sound is also very good.

Only complaint is sometimes it loses signal for no apparent reason which causes it to freeze on the last image it displayed. I've had to reset it several times by cycling the power on and off.

Overall though, I would recommend this monitor.