PDA

View Full Version : When did you stop taking prenatal vitamins while EBF

PGTB
10-14-2010, 03:05 PM
DS is 5.5 months old and is still EBF, so I am still taking the prenatal vitamins as it is advised for EBF moms. I am eager to stop taking them, the iron in the prenatal vitamins is causing undesirable side effects :shy: I am sick of after many months of PG and EBF. When did you quit taking prenatal vitamins? Do I have to wait till DS starts on solids or/and I start supplementing with formula? I am willing to wait for another month, but I really don't want to have to stop BF or introduce formula if I don't have to just to stop taking the vitamins.

Wondermom
10-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I was told to take them as long as you're BFing. Not so much beause your baby needs them, but because you do. Your baby will take out of your system all the nutrients he needs. That may mean you end up with less than you need.

Maybe switch to a regular multi-vitamin with less iron?

FWIW, I've been taking my prenatal vitamins all along. At my DS2's 9-month check up last week, pediatrician said he was low on iron, and we need to give him polyvisol. Unless your baby's on an iron fortified formula, I think the low-iron thing is just a risk you'll need to be aware of and have your ped check for.

MoJo
10-14-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't think I ever stopped taking them, but I haven't had your issues.

I can tell you that Ha's pedi wants her on Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron starting at 6 months regardless of whether I'm taking pre-natals. . . so I'm guessing at that point it would be OK to switch them if not stop them all together.

PGTB
10-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely ask our ped about the iron supplementation needs for our DS at his 6 months appt, which is around the corner. I am planning to ask about DS having cold extremities - his hands and feet are icy cold if it's not nice and toasty inside - basically when it's normal room temperature. I have similar problem myself, so I wonder if he inherited the bad blood circulation from me :(

♥ms.pacman♥
10-14-2010, 03:45 PM
i never stopped taking them, as i got pg when ds was 7 mo and i was still nursing him (we started solids at 5mo).

i hate prenatals though (bad side effects, give me heartburn/nausea) so i take Flintstones Complete Vitamins instead. OB said it was ok.

lizzywednesday
10-14-2010, 04:11 PM
I take the prenatals from Trader Joe's, which were recommended by the CNMs & my OB at the hospital when I was discharged.

BabbyO
10-14-2010, 04:16 PM
I've been taking my prenatals since I got pg. DS is 15 mo, and although we're done BFing...we're TTC #2...so I'm still taking them.

I did switch from prenatals with iron (prescribed) to some without iron (OTC). Ironically, after switching AF became out of control and I was getting light-headed. My doc recommended taking Slow FE Iron supplements. That seems to be gentler on my system. Maybe that is a possibility. Taking a prenatal or multi vitamin without iron, but using a gentler iron supplement.

MommyAllison
10-14-2010, 04:48 PM
I've been taking them for almost 6 years, and plan to as long as there is a chance we could get pregnant again (until permanent BC). DS is still nursing, so I'm taking them anyway. I'd switch to one with less iron, if I were you.

twowhat?
10-14-2010, 04:52 PM
I took them throughout breastfeeding. Many brands of prenatals have less iron - look at the labels and compare.

I also think it's fine to just take a regular multivitamin.

But don't let the vitamins take the place of eating!!! You still need that extra protein, fat, carbs, etc!!

Pear
10-14-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm still taking a prenatal at 19 months and plan to continue until DD weans completely. I took the same pill for seven years while we were TTC.

If the one you are taking isn't treating you well, I would try a different one. I love the Rainbow light prenatals. Very easy on the stomach. If you can't find a prenatal you like then I would just switch to a regular multiple-vitamin.

catsnkid
10-18-2010, 02:21 PM
You can take one with docusate (stool softener) built in or take docusate as well. It has helped me. I am very happy with prenate but I am switching to prenexa.

PGTB
10-18-2010, 03:44 PM
You can take one with docusate (stool softener) built in or take docusate as well. It has helped me. I am very happy with prenate but I am switching to prenexa.

I am taking docusate every day anyway.. I have been doing this since I started pre-natals when getting PG. Hoping to have to avoid taking this stuff at some point and I wonder if this affects the baby, but I cannot quit.

megan973
10-20-2010, 01:02 PM
OMG how did I not think of this... my OB never mentioned that I should continue to take a pre-natal vitamin and I never thought of it. DS is 4 months old and almost exclusively breastfed.

Yikes... guess I need to contact him.

PGTB
10-20-2010, 01:48 PM
OMG how did I not think of this... my OB never mentioned that I should continue to take a pre-natal vitamin and I never thought of it. DS is 4 months old and almost exclusively breastfed.

I am sure it's fine especially if you have been eating varied diet that includes things that have iron and vitamins and you are not on some super restrictive diet. You should be able to get all the vitamins you and your baby need from your diet, that's how nature designed us. We didn't evolve to survive on prenatal vitamins, LOL. Human beings have thrived on this planet without any vitamins for far longer than with them :D, so I won't be terrified like you did something wrong. If you OB says to take them, I'd take them though. I think like other pointed out sometimes it's for your own good since making milk would take away from your own supply of vitamins you need for your own body to thrive.

lizzywednesday
10-20-2010, 05:12 PM

They also don't need to be prescription vitamins ... I take the prenatals from Trader Joe's and they're actually CHEAPER than my prescription prenatals were with insurance!!!