PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shots?

BabbyO
10-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Ok, my disclaimer is that I'm not going to be convinced that we shouldnt' get flu shots or immunizations. That said, anyone have any recommendations for where to get flu shots for 15 mo old.

We were at the Dr's office Tuesday. They don't have them yet. The county health dept clinics are all (1) During working hours or (2) only go till 6 pm and are too far away from work to get there before they close.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

WolfpackMom
10-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Minute clinic at CVS tends to be more kid friendly than say a grocery store pharmacy.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Minute clinic at CVS tends to be more kid friendly than say a grocery store pharmacy.

i was gonna suggest cvs minute clinic as well, though not sure if they take babies that young for flu shots (at mine baby has to be 18months i think to get it)

Uno-Mom
10-14-2010, 06:41 PM
We have the same problem. Sprog has some kind of virus right now so we have to wait til she's better anyway, but I was already inclined to wait until our pedi got the vaccines.

Not sure why. I guess I irrationally feel that a doctors office would handle the product better. I know from our work trainings that if vaccines aren't handled just so, they can lose effectiveness.

But that isn't very logical of me, I know. :)

BabyBearsMom
10-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I've had mine done at the grocery store before. Not sure if they would do an infant.

Beckylove
10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I had mine done at a Sam's Club, but they definitely wouldn't see anyone under 4, so I'd call ahead to wherever you plan on going.

BabbyO
10-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Well, that's been my problem. From what I can tell the Walgreens/Sam's club require kids to be either 4 yo or 9 yo (depending on the clinic). We don't have a CVS near us per se, but there are some in the greater metro area and we're going to see Gram and Gramps this weekend, so maybe its worth trying to see if CVS does shots for younger kids.

I'd prefer the pedi's office, too. But now I have to call every week to see if they've come in. I just don't have the time (or memory) to call every week.

Seriously, why would the county health dept have such stupid hours and NO weekend clinics? If you work there's really no way to get there.

BabbyO
10-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Interesting. I just checked every CVS within a 50 mi radius of my house. All require you to be at least 18 YEARS old. So that's definitely a no-go.

Back to square 1.

HonoluluMom
10-15-2010, 06:32 PM
You may want to see if your local Blue Cross Blue Shield insurer is offering flu shot clinics. I believe if you're a BCBS member, it's free and if you're not, you have to pay some amount.

BabbyO
10-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Hmm...interesting. We are insured by BCBS, but I KNOW our insurance does NOT cover flu shots. Must be your regional BCBS that offers it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. So far it seems that my best shot is calling the clinic every week to see if the shots are in.

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2010, 02:23 PM
My ped was not in a rush for us to get them. He doesn't think it will be an early season and it is only mid October. I wouldn't rush out to do anything inconvenient and just wait till the ped gets them. How much longer should it be? Also, the ped might have a thimerisol free option and the other places might not. That is something I would personally wait for and take my chances.

jenrub
10-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Just another option.... I'm 27 wks pregnant and I got my Thimerosal (preservative) free flu shot at Target pharmacy for $17.53 with a AAA card. My OB doesn't give that kind of flu shot this year and the lady in the office suggested Target since she got her kids' the regular one for $16 with the discount. My primary care doctor also just has the regular one and didn't wanna order the preservative free one just for me since they would have to order in bulk. I am better off with going to Target (which is around the corner where I live and only had to wait 20 mins in between asking for it/filling out form and physically getting the shot) since co-pay is almost the same cost and I didn't have to drive and make an appt at the doctor's office.

BabbyO
10-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone. My guy is just too young to do any of the public shots. We can't even get him into the visiting nurse clinics (have to be 4 yrs old) so I was just able to set up an appt for Nov. 8.

Good to know for next year, too! :)