PDA

View Full Version : 22 month, 40lbs, what car seat?

deborah_r
10-14-2010, 06:51 PM
My co-worker wants to get a car seat for her car for her grandchild. I was looking up seats for her and I am stumped. I looked at Cosco Scenera and Evenflo Tribute and they seem to top out at 40 pounds. But he's to young for a booster. She wants to spend less than $100. Trust me when I say the child's mother will not have input into what kind of seat he should have (DCF involved)

Thanks!

ETA: I can see that the Graco Nautilus would be a good fit, but that is out of their price range. I just never thought about the upper ranges for the 5 pt harnesses because I'm still waiting for my 7 year old to exceed 40 pounds.

HIU8
10-14-2010, 07:45 PM
What about a roundabout 50? Are those still on sale (they were hovering around $100 I think).

o_mom
10-14-2010, 09:42 PM
How accurate is the weight? (I can't tell you the number of people who come in and say their child is 40-50 lbs and I put them on a scale and they are like 35)

If money is an issue, I would get a Maestro for now ($70-ish) and then have them save for something bigger or apply for a seat through the Kyle David Miller Foundation http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/Apply-For-Help.html

ETA: You can also contact your local SafeKids or other CPS organization and see if they have any high-weight harness seats available. Ours usually has Apexes available for cases like this.

ETA2: If they are in CA, CHP had Radians available at one point, so you might try there.

deborah_r
10-14-2010, 11:58 PM
I wondered if they had the weight right. My co-worker has not seen him much, just recently started seeing him regularly. This would be for my co-worker's car, so not an every day thing. I'm having a hard time picturing a 40 pound 22 month old.

lowrioh
10-15-2010, 09:53 AM
I would have her double check the child's weight too. My DD is completely off the charts and was 34 pounds at 24 months....I can't even imagine her at 40 pounds.....my back aches just thinking about it.

jjordan
10-15-2010, 10:01 AM
A safety 1st apex would be my suggestion. I think you can get one for about $100.

vonfirmath
10-15-2010, 01:39 PM
I wondered if they had the weight right. My co-worker has not seen him much, just recently started seeing him regularly. This would be for my co-worker's car, so not an every day thing. I'm having a hard time picturing a 40 pound 22 month old.

My cousin's daughter was just at 40 pounds at 22 months. She's 46 pounds now at 36 months. Just went to the doctor. So it happens, even without eating junk, etc. This girl is very well taken care of. lots of exercise (at the water park 4 days a week this summer). Homemade meals, etc.

arivecchi
10-15-2010, 02:29 PM
My 15 month old nephew is about 32-33 pounds so I guess I can imagine a 40 pound 22 month old. :eek:

AnnieW625
10-15-2010, 02:36 PM
My cousin's daughter was just at 40 pounds at 22 months. She's 46 pounds now at 36 months. Just went to the doctor. So it happens, even without eating junk, etc. This girl is very well taken care of. lots of exercise (at the water park 4 days a week this summer). Homemade meals, etc.

My sister who is now 23 yrs. old was 50lbs at 3 yrs. old. She was just chunky and short. If the Marathon had been out then she would've grown out of it first weight wise. She just didn't grow height wise. Between the age of 3/1/2 and 6 she gained 3lbs. She was 53lbs in the first grade and a stick, and has never had a weight problem since. So yeah it does happen. Kids grow at different rates.

I would probably go with the Marathon Classic ($199 at Target, I think), Britax Roundabout 55, or if money is no issue then a new Marathon 70 or a Radian.

luckytwenty
10-15-2010, 03:11 PM
My average sized almost 5 year old daughter is 37 lbs. I can't imagine that weight is right.

KrisM
10-15-2010, 03:18 PM
My average sized almost 5 year old daughter is 37 lbs. I can't imagine that weight is right.

Not every child is average and not all will grow at the rate your DD does. My 4 year old DD is 40lbs, for example.

I have a friend who's son was 34 lbs at age 1 and I know he's 54 at 3.5 years. Having him be 40lbs at 22 months would probably be about right. And, FWIW, since you might think I'm making it up, he's also 50" tall at 3.5 years. He is taller and weighs more than my 6.5 year old.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-15-2010, 03:52 PM
i agree with PP, i can totally believe a 22month old weighing 40lbs. not all kids "thin out" around age 1 like most. dh's cousin is 3yo and weighs 46 lbs. she does ballet and is pretty active yet she's still pretty chunky. i was very similar when i was a toddler. i look at pics of when i was 2 or 3 years old and i look like an oversized 9 month old...I still had the Michelin-man arms/legs. I was huge. I don't think i lost the baby fat until i was around 6 years old.