PDA

View Full Version : Balancing bf and solids for 12 month?

PMJ
10-15-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm wondering how I should be balancing BF and solids for my 12 month old. This is what I do now:

6:30 am- Breast (usually b/c I'm engorged from not feeding her all night and it hurts. I don't pump)

7:30 am - Bfast - fruit, 1/3 slice of toast w/cream cheese or muffin

9:30 - Nap and breast

11:30 - Lunch - fruit and veg. muffin of sorts

2:30 pm - Nap and breast

6:00 - Dinner - fruit and pasta or bread

7:00 - Bed time and breast

** She sometimes wakes up once at night and I do feed her my milk.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I'm writing this out and actually thinking about it, I def think I need to incorporate more veges in her diet. She is not a big fan of veges, so it has been a struggle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, on the topic at hand, am I doing this right?

thanks !

BabbyO
10-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Seems totally reasonable to me. I nursed until about 13 mo, and we were on a similar schedule. At 12 mo he was slowly transitioning from 3 to 2 nursing sessions/BM bottles per day. By 13 mo he was done BFing, but still getting BM bottles 2x a day. Last week (15 mo) we had to toss the remainder of the BM, but he still gets two 4 oz cups of milk (straw cups) a day. All other meals are regular food. We give him the milk (rice milk) mostly because it is his primary source of calcium since he can eat dairy.

Honestly, I recommend following their lead. DS always indicated when he wanted more food, milk only, etc.

Good luck.

Katigre
10-18-2010, 04:25 PM
That amount of nursing seems fine to me.

Momof3Labs
10-18-2010, 08:47 PM
The nursing sounds fine. But I'd suggest introducing more protein into her solids diet (it looks like all fruit/veggies and carbs) - cheese, yogurt, meat - to get her used to those, if nothing else.