PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Foot Swelling

marymoo86
10-15-2010, 03:34 PM
I have had bit of swelling as normal with this pregnancy but today (just a normal sit at my desk and work day) there's had been a markedly huge increase in the swelling. It's a bit alarming. Was just at OB's yesterday and bp was normal as was my other labs.

No swelling in face or hands but the blow up in my feet is a bit disconcerting. :irked:

luckytwenty
10-15-2010, 03:44 PM
I had this about 2 weeks ago. Cutting back on soups and anything processed really helped. I also try to keep my feet elevated as much as I can.

marymoo86
10-15-2010, 03:54 PM
I made stir fry last night and wondering if the soy sauce had a hand in it.

luckytwenty
10-15-2010, 03:59 PM
I bet it did. I've stopped eating Chinese food, Lean Cuisines, pizza..man, I'm no fun!! But I found it painful to walk on such swollen feet, and figured it's only 2 more weeks...

swissair81
10-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Is it pitting edema? http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=88528
If it is, I would call your doctor. Otherwise, put your feet up & don't walk around so much.

new_mom_mry
10-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Was it by chance a really hot day? I am now 35 weeks along, and a few weeks ago, I swear, everyone in my childbirth class was complaining about their feet being swollen, etc.....and mine weren't swollen at all. Then we randomly had a very hot week where the temperature was in the 80s, and suddenly everyone was welcoming me to the club because my feet got swollen too! Though, once the temperature reverted to high 60s, they stopped being swollen :) Anyway, hope your feet are already doing better!

marymoo86
10-16-2010, 07:56 AM
I think it was the overload of sodium that did it. I put my feet up and took it easy last night and the swelling has diminished a good bit but still more than normal. Will keep an eye on sodium intake and up the water for the next few days to flush it out.

bostonsmama
10-16-2010, 02:39 PM
My yoga instructor recommends drinking coconut water for its balance of electrolytes (potassium), which you need in a certain ratio for however much sodium you consume. Try eating a banana on days where you're eating a lot of salt, and up your fluid intake. All the diuretic fruits and veggies help, too, like broccoli, celery, beets, asparagus & watermelon.