PDA

View Full Version : Glass food storage

TwoBees
10-15-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm looking at the Glass lock food storage containers by Snapware. I have the plastic snapware and like it. Does anyone have the Glass lock? Pros/cons? any other brands of glass storage containers that you would recommend?

http://www.snapware.com/W-3008.html

♥ms.pacman♥
10-15-2010, 08:12 PM
i have a few of those. i like them especially because i'm lazy and often it's convenient for me to just reheat (microwave) leftovers right out of the container, and i don't have a problem doing that with glass. with plastic locking containers i always take food out and put it on a separate plate bc i don't like to reheat food in plastic (chemicals, tends to stain, stick to plastic, etc). so it save me time/effort in that sense.

i also have a few other glass food storage containers, some Pyrex and then there's another one i cant' remember. those are nice but i think the Glass Lock ones seem more airtight, the Pyrex don't seem to be.

sansdieu
10-16-2010, 12:00 AM
I have both, Pyrex and Glass lock. As far as Glass lock containers are concerned:

Pros
*leak-proof, can even bring soup to work.
*those containers that are rectangular are great for the fridge (the round ones take up way too much space).
* the obvious: not heating your food in plastic.

Cons:

*Mildew-prone lids. You need to air-dry them as long as you can, but these days (I've had mine for 1+ yrs), I often remove rubber gaskets with a knife and put them in the dishwasher separately.
* Overall, the containers themselves aren't the most convenient shape for the dishwasher, but we make do.
* Lids aren't microwave safe.
* And they aren't oven-safe (unlike Pyrex).

If you don't travel much with your containers and want something that does double-duty (e.g. that you can use in the oven), get Pyrex. Otherwise, get the Glass lock because of the airtight seal.

MommyAllison
10-16-2010, 12:16 AM
We've had a set of Glass lock from Costco for over a year, and love them! No problems so far.

TwoBees
10-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Huh. I discovered that there are TWO brands of Glass Lock containers--one made by Snapware and one made by Kinetic. The Snapware ones are bottom-rack dishwasher safe (I think), the Kinetic ones are top rack only. One of the reasons I wanted the glass containers was to put them in the bottom rack of the dishwasher (we never have spare room on the top). But Snapware doesn't make the containers in the small size I wanted (to fit in my lunchbox). Any recs for other brands of glass containers with a good seal (for the lunchbox) that can go on the bottom rack of the dishwasher?

robinsmommy
10-18-2010, 01:26 PM
I would add that while we love the airtight seal, they can be very hard to close - even DH and I have a hard time getting the last edge snapped shut - forget about kids doing it - I got ours at Costco....

Pyrex and the brown ones (Visions, maybe?) might do better in the bottom rack if allowed, as they are made from tempered glass, hence the ability to go in the oven.

edurnemk
10-18-2010, 01:33 PM
I would add that while we love the airtight seal, they can be very hard to close - even DH and I have a hard time getting the last edge snapped shut - forget about kids doing it .

:yeahthat: I have Glass Lock and another brand: Luminarc that I got at Bed Bath & beyond. I find the Luminarc easier to close (and they're cheaper)

kijip
10-19-2010, 12:06 AM
They are great. Mine do not have a gasket though, they say snap ware on them. I like the Pyrex ones a lot as well. I hate the Ikea ones with the glass lids and silicone seals. I got rid of a bunch after many meh years with them just today.

o_mom
10-19-2010, 06:56 AM
I have the Costco ones. I had one chip/crack about 2 weeks after having them. It was because the medium rectangle doesn't stack well inside the big rectangle - just an FYI - Costco replaced it of course . Since then I have had no problem except DS dropped one on the floor and cracked the lid. It still works so I have been too lazy to call Snapware (or whoever it actually is) for a replacement.

I really like them, about as much as my pyrex ones. We use mainly the GlasLock, some pyrex and canning jars. I have a few plastic containers that I have kept, but most of our storage is glass now.