PDA

View Full Version : Space heater Recommendations

demommy
10-16-2010, 02:15 PM
I am looking for suggestions on a small space heater for my Baby girls room. Her room is only 10 by 10 so I dont need a big heater. I will only be using it at night to help keep her room warm. There are so many and was just wondering what ones you guys like. Thanks!

smiles33
10-16-2010, 05:18 PM
I have used a few different types of space heaters because DH gets too hot if I turn on the whole house heating system.

Honestly, I tried a bunch of cheaper heaters when I was younger and they all have downsides. The kinds with a fan would take forever to heat up a room, while the ones with the exposed red coils are effective but noisy as they cycle on and off (and caused a fire in my college apt., more on that below).

I started DD1 with a deLonghi oil-filled radiator when she was an infant in her crib. It's the same heater I got myself after I replaced my exposed coils space heater. A blanket fell on top of an exposed coil heater and caused a fire. I slept through the fire until I was shaken awake and the room was filled with smoke. VERY SCARY! Anyhow, the DeLonghi was expensive but worth the cost as it provided even warmth and didn't post a fire risk.

Once DD1 was out of her crib, we moved on to a Vornado VH2 room heater (it has a lot of safety features in case it's knocked over and it never gets hot to the touch).

Hope this helps!

demommy
10-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for your reply! I did buy a Delongi oil filled radiator for her room and I am not really impressed with the heat is puts out. I think I might try the vornando heater that you have. I been reading about them now that you mentioned them and I think I am going to go buy one and try it out. Thanks!

keckert
10-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I have one that actually looks like a plug in baseboard heater and is programmable, so I set it to 66F at night and it goes on and off as needed. I got it at Home Depot.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=honeywell+heater&hl=en&cid=342509213391634538&ei=gE66TPDEGo7iygXDzfSACQ&sa=title&ved=0CCcQ8wIwAjgA#p

Pinky
10-16-2010, 09:17 PM
We have one of the oil filled ones mentioned above and I'm not that impressed with it either. I love that it doesn't have open coils and isn't a fire risk, but it doesn't heat up very fast at all. We use it for a bathroom that gets super cold in the morning to save us from having to have the furnace running too much. We have to set the little heater to come on like 3 hours in advance for it to even be remotely warm enough. I think I'd like something that heated up a small room quickly.

We are also looking for something for our daughters small bedroom because we usually keep the house pretty cool during the winter.

peanut520
10-16-2010, 10:58 PM
this is the one we have and love it. we were actually hoping to pick up another one at costco today, but our local warehouse didnt have it. i guess i have to pay the higher price to include shipping, so worth it.

demommy
10-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Which heater do you have peanut that you like? I forgot to check at Costcos and see what they have available. I am going to look online now!

peanut520
10-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Which heater do you have peanut that you like? I forgot to check at Costcos and see what they have available. I am going to look online now!

sorry the link didnt post, but when i went back it must have sold out. i found it on amazon but it is twenty dollars more. :hopmad:

http://www.amazon.com/Bionaire-BH3950-U-Micathermic-Adjustable-Thermostat/dp/B000I0WQR2/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1287449564&sr=1-1

peanut520
10-26-2010, 12:06 PM
it is back at costco and i ordered mine.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11177575&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|103|54246|30996&N=4018427&Mo=6&pos=5&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=30996&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC12232-Cat54246&topnav=