PDA

View Full Version : Noodle bowl recipes

infomama
10-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Noodle bowls are so good but SO high in sodium. Anyone have some tasty but lower sodium recipes that everyone would enjoy? Trying to do a couple of meatless dinners and regular old pasta is getting kind of lame.

goldenpig
10-17-2010, 12:12 PM
My husband came up with a saimin bowl based on the noodle bowls we get when we're in Hawaii. We can get fresh udon noodles at our supermarket but you can use any kind of dried Asian noodles too (udon, ramen etc). We don't use the seasoning packet that comes with the noodles because it's so high in sodium. We use Swanson's lower sodium chicken or beef broth but you could use vegetarian broth instead. We boil a whole carton or big can of the broth, then add sliced shiitake or crimini mushrooms, chopped egg whites, (optional) chopped ham, hot dog or sausage (such as Aidell's mango or chicken apple), julienned baby carrots (you can also buy pre-shredded carrots), the noodles, and cook for 3-4 minutes till the noodles are done. Add some lettuce or spinach leaves at the end and they wilt up quickly. The brown mushrooms are the key to getting a really rich meaty flavor to the soup. DD loves this soup and it's really fast, hearty and delicious.

I've also done frozen potstickers in place of the noodles for wonton soup. Or you can add coconut milk to broth, chopped chicken instead of the sausage, and a splash of fish sauce, cilantro and squeeze of lime...instant Thai noodle soup.

infomama
10-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks..that sounds so good! Love rice noodles so I'll use those. Making this for dinner tomorrow!