PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk inexpensive doll stuff!

Melaine
10-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Key word: inexpensive. Looking for accessories and clothing and maybe furniture for Waldorf dolls. I guess stuff that is AG size though. I'd especially love creative ideas for things the girls can use that might not be marketed as doll toys, ykwim? For instance, I saw tiny clothespins at the Dollar Store, so I'm going to make a little clothesline for them to play with. Oh, I saw this on Etsy and I'm dying to get it, but I'm a little hesitant that this seller has had so few sales? What do you think?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/49570411/american-girl-doll-picnic-table?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=doll+picnic+table&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

I am going to *try* to make them pillowcase dresses and matching doll dresses before Christmas. Well, it's on my list of things to try anyway!

I might get matching necklaces from Kmart, but I'd rather find an inexpensive Etsy seller or make them myself.

We already have cradles, and I might get those hook-on chairs from Walmart so the dolls can join us at the table.

I can definitely make pillows and blankets, or maybe a sleeping bag. Will probably crochet a little scarf and hat since that will take no time at all.

Any other fun ideas?

egoldber
10-18-2010, 09:33 AM
My neighbor was telling me that she made her DD a "Julie" bed like the one AG sells for the Julie historical doll. They made it out of a cardboard box and some beads and her DD was thrilled. :)

I think the simple things should not be underestimated.

I made older DD a nightgown for her Samantha doll with a pattern I found on-line. If you go to a fabric store there are dozens of patterns for doll clothes and accessories for dolls of all sizes.

ETA: I have knitted matching hats and scarves before. Also very easy.

Momof3Labs
10-18-2010, 11:23 AM
You can crochet matching ponchos very easily, too! I know that I saw free AG poncho patterns on ravelry.

I'm thinking that you might hit the basket aisle at Michael's for some tiny baskets that the dolls can use for their laundry, for grocery shopping, a picnic, etc.

Melaine
10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks, love the basket idea. I need to go back to the dollar store and really look with dolls in mind. I know years ago I found some adorable wicker chairs there that were perfect for dolls!

ETA: Would love any more suggestions too!

katydid1971
10-18-2010, 03:19 PM
I have no idea about sizing but I have found doll clothes at Walmart that I have been happy with. Last Christmas (the last time I looked, sorry) they had two sizes of clothes a 10-12 inch size that was perfect for Calin dolls and a 12-14 inch size. That size might work for you. They had two outfits in one pack for $5. It was the Walmart doll brand, I can't remember what it is called right now. Also I have seen knock off American Girl dolls and clothes and accessories at Target, Walmart and Micheal's.

Seitvonzu
10-18-2010, 04:14 PM
melaine-- i'm watching this thread with interest. accessories are EVERYTHING in our doll world :) and our little olive i'm sure will be no exception!!! (i got your private message while we were on vacation...sorry i didn't get back to you but life has been super busy during and since!!!)

where didyou end up getting the girls dolls? i love the basket idea too...baskets are huge around here-- we have 3 sizes of willow laundry baskets-- mommy's big, medium for toys & little for play laundry and i think i'll go look for "olive sized" :)

do your bitty twins have outfits? you might find that they fit your waldorf dolls. i played with olive the other day and found that with tugging and pulling our cooking outfit and ballet tutu fit.... and some pottery barn clothes we have too (for their 17 dolls) they are tight fits and need mama assistance but looked oh so cute. i'll probably get olive a nightgown from a waldorf seller because i don't sew, and lucy likes to dress her dolls all by herself...but for variety i liked that some of the clothes we already have work.

fun to think about, isn't it?

Melaine
10-18-2010, 04:17 PM
melaine-- i'm watching this thread with interest. accessories are EVERYTHING in our doll world :) and our little olive i'm sure will be no exception!!! (i got your private message while we were on vacation...sorry i didn't get back to you but life has been super busy during and since!!!)

where didyou end up getting the girls dolls? i love the basket idea too...baskets are huge around here-- we have 3 sizes of willow laundry baskets-- mommy's big, medium for toys & little for play laundry and i think i'll go look for "olive sized" :)

do your bitty twins have outfits? you might find that they fit your waldorf dolls. i played with olive the other day and found that with tugging and pulling our cooking outfit and ballet tutu fit.... and some pottery barn clothes we have too (for their 17 dolls) they are tight fits and need mama assistance but looked oh so cute. i'll probably get olive a nightgown from a waldorf seller because i don't sew, and lucy likes to dress her dolls all by herself...but for variety i liked that some of the clothes we already have work.

fun to think about, isn't it?

Oh no problem. :waving4: We are getting custom dolls from Chimi & Changa http://www.etsy.com/shop/CHIMIandCHANGA?ga_search_query=chimi+and+changa&ga_search_type=seller_usernames
They are actually supposed to be heading out to us in the mail today. I can't wait. Yes, the girls are also excited. :wink2:They are getting them as a (slightly late) birthday gift. I'm looking toward Christmas now for collecting accessories and clothes. Glad to know your Bitty Twin clothes work for your Bamboletta. We only have a few outfits but I'd love if they work also for the new babies.

brittone2
10-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I once saw an idea where they took one of those two shelf storage shelves and converted it into a really cute doll bunkbed. Maybe in Family Fun?

Another idea I remember seeing is someone taking one of those wooden clementine crates and adding feet to it (big wooden beads or something from the hardware store) so it is off the ground. (eta: I assume you could paint and pretty it up if you wanted to).

Jenn27
10-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Ikea has a cute wooden doll bed for $20. I also just found a Badger Basket high chair at Walmart for $15 that I think we are getting. I can't spring for the $75 high chair DD wants in the Palumba catalog :) We also need some clothes for our Christmas gift doll! (Camden June).

katydid1971
10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Ikea has a cute wooden doll bed for $20. I also just found a Badger Basket high chair at Walmart for $15 that I think we are getting. I can't spring for the $75 high chair DD wants in the Palumba catalog :) We also need some clothes for our Christmas gift doll! (Camden June).

We have the Badger Basket High Chair. I got it from Costco for $18 shipped. Its fine, I can see it's not as good of quality as Kid Kraft or American Girl but I think it will work for the next few years no problem. I would get it again.

Melaine
10-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Ohhh what else does Ikea have doll-wise? We might be able to go up there next week.

Jenn27
10-19-2010, 07:25 PM
The only other thing inremember seeing at ikea was some enamel/ceramic dishes that may have been doll-size (but maybe not). I wish they had more! The bed comes with bedding and is super cute!