PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Milk for 1 yr +?

PMJ
10-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Ped said to start introducing Whole milk to DD to help her w/gaining some weight. I have no clue what kind of milk to give.

What do you do?

thanks!

nrp
10-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Are you currently nursing? If so, I wouldn't try to replace breastmilk with cow's milk (or some other substitute), as BM has the best fats, etc. for your baby. Assuming not, and assuming no other issues (dairy senstitivities, etc.), then just regular (organic or not, depending on your preference) whole cow's milk is probably the "standard" anwer. We transitioned to whole organic cow's milk around 1 year. I bought whole for the family until DS turned 2, and now I buy 1% or 2% depending on my mood, still organic.

dukie41181
10-18-2010, 07:14 PM
if you're not breastfeeding still, i'd go with whole organic milk.

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2010, 07:17 PM
if you're not breastfeeding still, i'd go with whole organic milk.

:yeahthat:

If still nursing, and I think you are from another thread, no cows' milk needed. Human milk for a human, cow milk for a cow is my motto. :)

eta- why does she need to gain weight? Has she fallen off her curve? Is she not thriving? Some peds get it in their head that more weight is better but some dcs are just supposed to be small. They aren't unhealthy, just little.

Beth

JBaxter
10-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Organic Whole milk ... I try a local dairy if you can find one they dont ultra process their milk.

wellyes
10-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Organic whole milk if it's not ultra-pastuerized. Otherwise, non-organic whole milk from cows not treated by antibiotics.

catsnkid
10-18-2010, 08:49 PM
I have been giving DS whole milk since age 1 and he nurses. He gets whole milk at daycare and I offer it to him myself during the day.

Beth24
10-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Organic whole milk if it's not ultra-pastuerized. Otherwise, non-organic whole milk from cows not treated by antibiotics.

I'm curious as to why not ultra-pasteurized milk?

wellyes
10-18-2010, 11:38 PM
I think it tastes flat. Plus it does not make good yogurt. I believe the high heat kills whatever it is that makes milk able to be yogurt-ized.

lowrioh
10-19-2010, 09:08 AM
What ever you do, get pasteurized milk. It is extremely dangerous to feed a young child unpasteurized milk.
We just gave DD regular old whole milk at that age. I switched her over to 2% at around 2 because she seemed to be getting a bit pudgy. (DH and I struggle with our weight).

peanut520
10-19-2010, 10:18 AM

it is said to lower some of the nutrients in the milk when the higher temperatures are used.

Beth24
10-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I think it tastes flat. Plus it does not make good yogurt. I believe the high heat kills whatever it is that makes milk able to be yogurt-ized.

it is said to lower some of the nutrients in the milk when the higher temperatures are used.

Thanks. I didn't know that.