PDA

View Full Version : Beaba Babycook Question

noradc
10-19-2010, 06:24 AM
Hi Moms & Dads,

I am thinking about getting the Beaba Babycook, but my son is already 10 months old so I am wondering if it's too late to get it. Until what age did you use the Beaba for your baby?

My son has been eating solids since he was 6 months. Lately it seems like baby food in jars aren't enough to fill his appetite, and he's not as interested in eating it as he used to be. He's been trying food that I've made (eg spinach soup with rice) and he seems to enjoy it. We also give him bite size fruit and he loves it. He has his four upper teeth and two lower.

If I purchase the Beaba, will I be able to get much use from it since my son is already 10 months old and is starting to eat the same food that we have for meals? I wonder if steamed veggies prepared with the Beaba would be too plain for him. How old was your baby when you stopped using it?

Thanks as always for your help!

mrspeachykeen
10-19-2010, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't think you'd get your money's worth. I couldn't justify one to begin with. I use a food processor with no issues what so ever and can use it for lots more things other than baby food.

I was also able to steam, bake multiple veggies at once and then make the purees, vs with the Beaba you have to do everything one at a time.

DD is 7 months old and we are already starting to try simple soft foods. I would think by 10 months we'd really be moving away from thin purees. I don't think the beaba is as good with chunkier textures, but I don't know.

edurnemk
10-19-2010, 06:47 PM
At that age DS barely ate any pureed food at all, he wasn't interested any more (he would only take pureed apples, pears and peaches at that point). I always wanted to get a Beaba Babycook, but wondered if it was worth it. Now I'm glad I didn't buy it since the blender and food processor were enough and I would've used it only about 3 months. I never pureed anything for him after 10-11 months.

williams44
10-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I have a Beaba, and my DD just turned 1. I made all of her food using it. I would steam and then puree when she was younger. I found it to be very useful and convenient. Though you can use your pots and blender, etc, it was easier for me to have it all in one contraption. The only drawback is that you can't do huge batches, but still, I found it wasn't that difficult to do a couple of batches. I still use it now. I just don't puree anymore. I steam her veggies, cut them in big chunks and then freeze them. When it's meal time, I take a chunk out of the freezer and cut it up for her.

But since your son is already 10 mos, I don't think there's any reason to get it now. You can easily steam in a pot. You don't need the puree function. And soon I'm guessing you won't even need the steam function.

If I were you, I would pass on it, unless you were thinking about having another child and could see yourself getting use out of it.

noradc
10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your advice. Today my son ate the rice and veggies we were eating. I agree - I probably wouldnt be able to get much use out of the Beaba at this point if he's already eating the same food we are. Thanks again!

AnnieW625
10-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I really wanted to get one before DD2 was born (it must have been nesting), but didn't as our they were going for almost full price on local Craigslist so I opted to borrow a hand blender from my mom, and also already have a 7 Cup cuisinart, and a Cuisinart Mini Prep. So far the Cuisinart, and the hand blender have worked out great. I put whatever I am cooking in a pot, let it boil/cook for the recommended amount of time and then put it in the blender. It's much easier than I thought.

babychi
10-20-2010, 01:00 PM
I also agree that the amount of time you'd have left to use one is limited (unless you wanted to also use it for a future DC). My 10 month old is becoming very disinterested in purees these days and wants to eat with her hands more and more. I have a feeling she will be 100% done with purees before her first birthday.

Andi98989
10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
At that age DS barely ate any pureed food at all, he wasn't interested any more (he would only take pureed apples, pears and peaches at that point). I always wanted to get a Beaba Babycook, but wondered if it was worth it. Now I'm glad I didn't buy it since the blender and food processor were enough and I would've used it only about 3 months. I never pureed anything for him after 10-11 months.

:yeahthat: By that age DS was pretty much only eating finger foods, and the spoon-fed foods he was eating were things like oatmeal, cream of wheat, and yogurt. That's the way things still are. He often eats the same thing that we do - tonight will be mini ravioli and meatballs.