PDA

View Full Version : Can we get an update on the Baby Bargains home page?

Fairy
10-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey Mods and A&D. I'm one of those that just goes to www.babybargains.com and then clicks on "message board" to get to the forums. There was a new home page that you couldn't navigate to the boards from and now the old home page is back. Seems an update is in the works. Just wondering if we can get an update as to what we can expect going forward?

-- Fairy

TwoBees
10-19-2010, 11:53 AM
I second this motion. Thanks!

missym
10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
I've passed on your request to the Fields. I'm curious though - why not bookmark the forum page? I understand if you're on an unfamiliar PC, but I was surprised at the number of people who seem to go through babybargains.com on a regular basis.

Fairy
10-19-2010, 11:56 AM
I've passed on your request to the Fields. I'm curious though - why not bookmark the forum page?

I dont' use bookmarks. On rare occasion, I will, but generally, I memorize and just go where I want. Just a habit, I guess. I do bookmark my Bberry, so that, yes. But on my computer and work computer? No. It is way the heck faster for me to type www.babybargains.com than to go to the stupid star, click in, make sure it's not on history, look for the bookmark, and click. Just been that way for seven years, I don't wanna change :-)

TwinFoxes
10-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I didn't look too closely at the new home page because I don't ever go to the homepage to get here. I did notice down at the bottom there were lots of little links and one was "community". I bet that would take you here.

Fairy
10-19-2010, 12:10 PM
I didn't look too closely at the new home page because I don't ever go to the homepage to get here. I did notice down at the bottom there were lots of little links and one was "community". I bet that would take you here.

I think that's the intent, but it was a broken link.

missym
10-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Since most (all?) of the links were broken, I suspect the developer was playing around with the site and it wasn't really intended to be the "live" release of the new homepage.

alandenisefields
10-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone!

Yes, we are about to launch a new web site---we are doing some beta testing now. Our webmaster accidentally pulled back the curtain on the new site before we were ready. Sorry for the confusion.

So the old home page is still up there for now!

We'll have an announcement about this shortly when we are ready to launch!

Thanks,
alan & denise

Fairy
10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Well, I think that's great! I liked what I saw of what was there at the time. Best of luck!!

SnuggleBuggles
10-19-2010, 01:25 PM
I dont' use bookmarks. On rare occasion, I will, but generally, I memorize and just go where I want. Just a habit, I guess. I do bookmark my Bberry, so that, yes. But on my computer and work computer? No. It is way the heck faster for me to type www.babybargains.com (http://www.babybargains.com) than to go to the stupid star, click in, make sure it's not on history, look for the bookmark, and click. Just been that way for seven years, I don't wanna change :-)

Huh, I never go through the pages to get where I want to go. I just start typing "wi" and Firefox suggests the main forum page to me as I go there often. Sometimes I click the "most visited link" at the top of my Firefox screen. handy shortcuts for me. :)

Beth

hellokitty
10-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Huh, I never go through the pages to get where I want to go. I just start typing "wi" and Firefox suggests the main forum page to me as I go there often. Sometimes I click the "most visited link" at the top of my Firefox screen. handy shortcuts for me. :)

Beth

I do the same thing, it's b/c I'm lazy, but honestly I am lost when I am not on my own laptop, b/c of this habit of being lazy...

KrisM
10-19-2010, 02:50 PM
I dont' use bookmarks. On rare occasion, I will, but generally, I memorize and just go where I want. Just a habit, I guess. I do bookmark my Bberry, so that, yes. But on my computer and work computer? No. It is way the heck faster for me to type www.babybargains.com (http://www.babybargains.com) than to go to the stupid star, click in, make sure it's not on history, look for the bookmark, and click. Just been that way for seven years, I don't wanna change :-)

You could make a html page of bookmarks. I have this and have categories for forums, blogs, shopping, news, weather, etc. I have it loaded on the web, so can access it from any computer. It's pretty simple to do, I think. Making the document is fast, but DH uploads it for me. then, I ad it as a link at the top of IE so I push a button and see a nifty, sorted list of my favorites. BBB is top center :)

MommyofAmaya
10-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I dont' use bookmarks. On rare occasion, I will, but generally, I memorize and just go where I want. Just a habit, I guess. I do bookmark my Bberry, so that, yes. But on my computer and work computer? No. It is way the heck faster for me to type www.babybargains.com than to go to the stupid star, click in, make sure it's not on history, look for the bookmark, and click. Just been that way for seven years, I don't wanna change :-)

This is what I do and it drives DH batty. There is absolutely no way any other process else is going to end up a "shortcut" at this point.

Fairy
10-19-2010, 03:09 PM
I just don't WANNA. I like my way. It works. Not that I don't appreciate the suggestions. Also, from a marketing standpoint, the Fields need to have new readers of their books say, "hmm, I wonder if they have a website" and find the forums from there.

niccig
10-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I just don't WANNA. I like my way. It works. Not that I don't appreciate the suggestions. Also, from a marketing standpoint, the Fields need to have new readers of their books say, "hmm, I wonder if they have a website" and find the forums from there.

I agree. Also, a link to the forums can't be burried at the bottom in the small print. It may as well not be there at all on the page then. And this is coming from a web design POV.

Momit
10-20-2010, 04:51 AM
I also caught a glimpse of the new site the other day, because I'm another person who goes to babybargains.com and clicks the Message Board from there. BTW, the new look was great!

Gena
10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
I was surprised at the number of people who seem to go through babybargains.com on a regular basis.

I sometimes come in through the windsorpeak.com homepage.

Drag0nflygirl
10-20-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't know what my bookmark is - but the "new front page" is making me crazy!

missym
10-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't know what my bookmark is - but the "new front page" is making me crazy!

Are you currently having trouble? What do you see?

I have the following page bookmarked. It takes me straight to the baby/toddler forums:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Drag0nflygirl
10-22-2010, 02:17 AM
http://windsorpeak.com/babybargains/ is my bookmark. I know it takes me directly where I don't want to go - I just keep forgetting so I have to backtrack every time.

missym
10-22-2010, 06:49 AM
http://windsorpeak.com/babybargains/ is my bookmark. I know it takes me directly where I don't want to go - I just keep forgetting so I have to backtrack every time.

I'll let the Fields know the new page is still active at that link. It's not intended to be. In the meanwhile, you might want to just change your bookmark to the main forum page. I use:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3

TwoBees
12-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Bumping to let you know that http://windsorpeak.com/babybargains/ still takes you to the new website. None of the links on the page are active except the links in the footer. And all the posts in the community section are spam.