PDA

View Full Version : talk me out of it....or do I really need an Aden & Anais blanket?

AnnieW625
10-19-2010, 01:17 PM
For DD2? We have oodles of heavier weight blankets and a few cotton light weight ones, but this one looks like something DD2 can have for a while, plus I have heard great things about A&A's customer service. I can't seem to find any non fluffy security blankets with the satin trim that I could see DD2 being attached to like DD1 is attached to her blanket (a thermal blanket with satin trim, which no one makes anymore). I have two of those left one for DD1, and another for DD2 (lost somewhere in the garage) so at least I know I have two more, but still nothing for DD2 that can go in the washer/dryer and don't have to worry about it not feeling as soft as it once was (which is what I fear will happen with the all polyester blankets if they are dried too much).

I have the pink/grey bubble one in my Amazon cart (http://www.amazon.com/aden-anais-Muslin-Blanket-Giraffe/dp/B002SW3CWQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1287507944&sr=8-10) (honestly debating between it, and the stars one--I love orange, but DD2 is the opposite of DD1, she just looks better with pink; I wish they made the cars one in pink too!:banghead:--cars just aren't for boys!). I don't like the fairies on the other pink one, the cup cakes are cute, but the fairies are just odd looking.

So do I buy the blanket or not? Yes, No, Other?

twowhat?
10-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Ummm.....YES! I loved these blankets because we felt safe letting the twins sleep with them at a very young age - even if their faces were covered you can breathe through them. We used them for swaddling (Your DD is probably too old for that now). And our toddler girls still love these blankets - I will use them in the summer as a light crib blanket. And if you're nursing they make a GREAT nursing cover.

Your DD may or may not attach to it though...

eta: whoops sorry, didn't realize you linked to the 4-layer blanket. I don't have that one so can't say what I would think of it...I was talking about the swaddling blankets (which, IMO, are a great size for a toddler blanket for the summers).

Tenasparkl
10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
My two year old sleeps with her dream blanket every night. I love it. I've washed it many times and it still feels soft and not worn out at all. I love that she can breathe through it but it still provides enough warmth. She has the cupcake/fairy blanket and I agree that the fairies are a little strange looking - they look like bugs or something. Get it!

MamaMolly
10-19-2010, 01:53 PM
We also have the thin one layer ones. I just got mine...er...Dolly's in the mail yesterday. I bought a 4 pack of the swaddle blankets from Amazon. They are really big! I decided to go ahead and get them when I saw a friend use one as a nursing cover. We are in a really hot climate so even the lightest regular nursing cover made Dolly sweat, so I'm hoping this will be better.

I'm happy with the purchase but in hindsight I wish I'd bought the smaller ones (30 something inches) from Target instead. It isn't super duper soft IMO, more like cheese cloth. But I really like the breathability and weight of it.

jenfromnj
10-19-2010, 01:55 PM
I also say go for it--I love DS's dream blankets! They're especially great because they're not only breathable, they're warm without being stifling. And I agree with the others that they wash up beautifully--I've washed ours countless times in the past 18 months and they're still so soft and nice.

kboyle
10-19-2010, 02:17 PM
my ds3 LOVES his swaddle blankets but hates the 2 dream blankets we have.

our 2 dream blankets washed up HORRIBLY, very very pilly unlike the thin ones we have. i originally bought 1 dream and 1 4-pk of swaddle, the swaddles washed great the dream very horribly pilly (1st wash), so i called and they sent out (for free) an xtra pack of swaddles and another dream...same thing happened. i did call to let them know, but didn't go further with it.

cvanbrunt
10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Call me crazy, but how much customer service could you need for a blanket? Thirty five bucks for a blanket??!!?? Be strong and resist the overpriced and unnecessary baby product cottage industry. Fight the power!

tmahanes
10-19-2010, 03:46 PM
I am considering the dream blanket too. I LOVE :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: my Swaddle Blankets and have been impressed with the feel and the way they wash. They are pretty much the only blankets I just anymore. I especially love the size. Now that B is getting bigger they are the only blankets that still work to swaddle. And yes CS is important even with blankets. I had one rip and they replaced it with a whole box of new blankets.

WolfpackMom
10-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Call me crazy, but how much customer service could you need for a blanket? Thirty five bucks for a blanket??!!?? Be strong and resist the overpriced and unnecessary baby product cottage industry. Fight the power!

:yeahthat: LOL This is a want, not a need. You say to talk you out of it which means you probably already know this is a pricey blankie that really isnt neccessary.

katydid1971
10-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Don't get it, you don't need it. Save yourself the $35.

AnnieW625
10-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Thank you all for your input. I am not going to get the dream blanket because the thing is huge, 48" x 48", and now two people here have said they have had washing issues with them. I also didn't notice at first that it is hooded. I have been waffling on the regular swaddling blankets since before I had DD2, but now at 5 mos. old (6 mos. next week) she loves to have a blanket in her hand (she has a small lovey with a duck head on it), but I don't let her take it to bed but I would be more comfortable with wrapping her up in one of these and not worrying about her. Plus all of the other light weight swaddling blankets we have were DD1s and she knows that and gets a little irritated when I give them to DD2, and I would like DD2 to have something that is just her own.

So do I get an all pink or get the all stars one (see link in original post)? I have never seen the stars ones in person so I am tempted to be different (and I love stars!) or do I get these ones which are all pink and equally cute.

Tenasparkl
10-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I also didn't notice at first that it is hooded.

Huh? It isn't hooded. The picture just shows the other side of the blanket folded over.

AnnieW625
10-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Huh? It isn't hooded. The picture just shows the other side of the blanket folded over.

The description said it was, that's what I thought too (just folded over), but oh well. I ordered the star blankets and they should be on my door step on Thursday:)

new_mom_mry
10-22-2010, 03:04 PM
The dream blanket is not hooded, we have one in the giraffe pattern for DS who is due very soon. It's huge though...I've originally bought it for swaddling during cold NorCal nights, but now I am wondering just how I will be using it, because due to its thickness and size it's not designed to be a swaddling blanket. In the end, I have ended up with many different blankets: the A & A dream blanket, the swaddle designs blanket (single layer, but feels like it will make an excellent swaddle because it's really big and soft), 6 muslin swaddle blankets similar to A & A, and a Dwell Studio stroller blanket. To make the longer story short, I think the best use for the A & A dream blanket would be using it as a regular blanket for a toddler or possibly something to use as a stroller blanket, but not when it's very cold and you want something soft and cozy. Sorry if this is long-winded :)