PDA

View Full Version : Present for 10 yr old boy - done with toys?

YouAreTheFocus
10-19-2010, 04:53 PM
I need to buy a bday gift for a turning 10 yr old boy, and am totally lost. What do boys this age play with, if anything? This kid is in a family where they all get ipods, netbooks, DSes, etc starting at age 5 or so, so buying something that the kids will actually be excited about is always a challenge. We asked the boy, mom, grandma etc, and no one could think of anything! I feel a million years old, but at this age I was still making xmas & bday lists of toys. I get the impression that these kids are "too old for toys" around 7-8. Please say it isn't so!

nellonello
10-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I have a 9.5 yo and he is done with toys. Outdoor activities are usually pretty good as well as remote control stuff. Some things currently played with in our house:

Pogo Stick
Spy Gear
Remote control car
Laser Tag
He asked for Paper Jamz guitar and drum for Christmas.

And as a backup we have found that most kids this age really like having a gift certificate to somewhere like Target so they can get what they want.

hellokitty
10-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Boys that age, I give them a GC. Usually, they want a video game.

Tondi G
10-19-2010, 06:52 PM
I have a 9 year old and he is somewhat done with toys but not completely. A lot of things on his list are games for his nintendo DS and the Xbox 360. He is still into his nerf guns (he likes the cool clear ones). He still loves Legos. He would be totally into robotic stuff. He was pretty excited to get Target gift cards or cash for his birthday so he could pick out his own "stuff". DVD's are good. itunes gift cards if he has an ipod. Bookstore gift cards would work too.

g-mama
10-19-2010, 07:33 PM
My oldest ds will turn 10 in November and he's mostly done with toys, except for Legos and Playmobil. I do know many of his friends are done with toys, including things like Playmobil. He would like a GC to any store, including a book store so he could pick out books. He'd like games for his DS or board games.

AJP
10-19-2010, 08:42 PM
I'd do a GC! Easy and he may like shopping for himself. Even an iTunes card or one for one of those gaming stores. Even better amazon or a bookstore! My nieces and nephews get a book from me in addition to any "electronic" type gift. They don't LOVE that part but my sis does!