PDA

View Full Version : 14 days with a sinus infection before meds?!?!

LarsMal
10-19-2010, 07:50 PM
I have never heard this before. I have had plenty of sinus infections in my day. I guess I probably usually go to the doctor around day five or six, but I felt this one coming on after day one. I went to the doc today and she told me I was probably at the beginning of a sinus infection, but not "sick enough" for meds yet. I have to have it about 14 days for that. WTF?!?!

I told her we're leaving town on Friday so she said if I still feel sick on Thursday to call and she'll give me a prescription, but not to fill it for at least three days after that. Unbelievable!

In the meantime, my eyes feel like they're going to pop out of my head, my head is pounding, my ears are fuzzy, my throat is irritated (and a little red according to the doc), I have all the sensitive points around my eyes/cheekbones, and my TEETH hurt (that's always my tell-tale sign).

So not happy!

rachl500
10-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Sorry you don't feel well.
Here's some info that addresses your question:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/1101/p1685.html

May be more than you wanted...Hope you are better soon.

belovedgandp
10-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Soooooo feel your pain. I get about one a year. When the teeth hurt, you know it's bad. For me it was two years ago. I'd duked it out thinking I was getting the upper hand on the cold with rest, liquids, Mucinex, nasal rinsing, etc, but AFTER 14 days broke down and went to the doctor. A year earlier, pressure points, here's your scrip. Nope, instead I get a 10 minute talk about how very few sinus infections are actually bacterial and he's no longer prescribing antibiotics for them. I describe everything I've been doing for two weeks and he says "wow, yes, you are doing everything right just keep doing that." Thanks a ton, I find someone to watch my kids to hear this when I should have been home taking my nap.

MSWR0319
10-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Ugh....I feel your pain,literally. I have chronic sinus infections which I usually let go too long before I go to the doctor. Last week I went from stuffy to teeth throbbing,eye throbbing, nasty sinus pressure in 24 hours. My old doctor left and I haven't found a new one yet, so I lied how long I'd had it when I went it! When the teeth hurt, you know you're in trouble. I'd call first thing Thurs and fill the script right away!

frgsnlzrds
10-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Ugh, I hate sinus infections. Every cold I get seems to end up there. And stubborn person I am, I usually wait forever before seeing a doctor. Last time DH brought me to the ER on a Saturday night because the pain was so bad, so I totally hear you. Have you tried a hot rice pack on your face? I'll send all my good, healthy vibes your way. Feel better.

Tondi G
10-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Do you have another doctor you could call who might fill a prescription sooner for you, so you can be on the road to feeling well before you head out on your trip?

I've never heard that you have to wait 14 days to get antibiotics. A bacterial infection is a bacterial infection.... once it starts, it's there... getting worse by the day.

I would call on Wednesday afternoon and tell her you aren't feeling better... in fact your symptoms are getting worse. Hopefully she will fill the prescription that evening and you can get started right away.