PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about anti-aging creams/facial products

daisymommy
10-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I have no clue, when do I need start using anti-aging, anti-wrinkle products? I am 35. Do I need to start this early to prevent facial aging? Or can I wait until I'm 40? I personally hate putting anything but mineral powder on my face (I have oily skin, and everything feels like a mask)--so I'm hoping I can still put it off.

My face doesn't have any wrinkles or any ages spots. It's not saggy yet either. But, it has lost some of it's firmness--as in, I can put a hand on either side of my face, pull the skin back making it nice and tight, and it sure looks better! Not sure if that's totally normal no matter your age, or if it means my skin is losing elasticity and does need some sort of cream.

What are your favorite products that you would recommend? Is the Olay 7 "something or other" product decent?

Any good articles you've read on the subject, maybe in a magazine? I'll admit to not paying attention at all to any of them in the past.

Thanks!

Oh, and P.S. I just pulled out 2 silver hairs yesterday :( At least they matched my jewelry :tongue5:.

DrSally
10-19-2010, 10:57 PM
I would check out www.cosmeticscop.com. She has good advice based on research. She doesn't have the same concerns as EWG, so you could cross check her recommendations with EWG to find something that converges. Her number one recommendation is sunscreen with adequate UVA/UVB protection.

marit
10-20-2010, 12:33 AM
I would check out www.cosmeticscop.com. She has good advice based on research. She doesn't have the same concerns as EWG, so you could cross check her recommendations with EWG to find something that converges. Her number one recommendation is sunscreen with adequate UVA/UVB protection.

Do you use her products? Do you like them? I didn't know anything about her but her website is impressive!

DrSally
10-20-2010, 12:38 AM
I do use the BHA gel. She says that most BHA products (salycic acid) aren't at the right PH to work effectively, so there aren't a lot of drugstore options. I don't think you necessarily have to use her products, she has *a lot* of recommendations for drugstore products. I like that she separates the marketing from the effectiveness of a product and you can get a lot of value for your $$ by picking a good product regardless of price.

ETA: I used to buy her books, but now she has everything online. I got a 1 month subscription to beautypedia, like a CR for makeup/beauty. I like that you can buy your access by the month.

SarahR
10-20-2010, 01:04 PM
The comment about the sunscreen is spot on. This is probably the best thing we can do to prevent skin damage, and aging.

Nutrition and proper hydration is also very important from what I have read. Omega-3-6-9 fish oil supplements are supposed to help keep skin healthy, and drinking lots of water is supposed to help flush out the system. Here is a blog post I read about nutrition and skin: http://www.dermagenics.com/index.php?option=com_easyblog&view=entry&id=4&Itemid=70

The other thing to think about when looking at anti aging creams is to make sure they do not contain toxins that could do more harm than good in the long run, especially if you are starting before you have any problems! :)